• Advertisement

Unpopular opinions you have

E.V.I.L.

Here we go: the thing that made me chicken out of the discord server. So here are some of mine.

Eminem is without a doubt one of the most overrated rappers of all time. Now, when he has great songs, he has great songs. But when he's made crap, they are BEYOND CRAP (Revival is one of the absolute biggest trainwrecks I've ever heard). Though to me, I feel like his fanbase has kinda killed him for me. Most of them treat him like he's some MC God who's good because "he raps about stuff other than drugs or sex" (and boy do I hate it when people complain about those topics that have been common in music). IMO, I feel like he's hailed as an MC because his competition on the charts was weak. But now, there are so many better rappers out there, and Eminem's still here sounding stale while other still praise him to death. Like to me, I feel like some of his base haven't heard anything outside of the top 100. That, and the fact that he's inspired so many rappers who think they're better than mumble rappers...and a majority of them SUCK (NF, dear god).

Adding to that, mainstream rap isn't as crappy as people think. Like, these "Mumble rappers" (another term I don't like) aren't really that bad. I do prefer lyrical rappers, but some of the modern rappers are pretty easy and simple to follow. Also, most of the complaints about the genre feel kinda hypocritical, since they go and defend the 2000s, which was LITTERED with the crap they usually complain about. Oh yeah, and 69 and Lil Pump aren't the only mumble rappers that exist.

Now for movies:

Joker is overhyped. Surpisingly, I didn't really like it that much. Phoenix's performance was really good, the score is great, the cinematography was great, and the death scenes were usually the best parts...but the story was WEAK.

The entire story just feels artsy and a little pretentious, all while it tries to be this "deep, revolutionary" insight where all the message turns out to be is "Society sucks, society sucks, society sucks".

I have a slew of other unpopular opinions on how the Pokemon video game franchise is designed, but I think only this needs to be said at the moment: as much as I tend to agree that the Pokemon games have become a little too linear, I do think there is such thing as making the games too open-world as well. In other words, I can understand the linearity in the recent games and I believe giving a region very few travelling limitations can hurt it. So, when I see comments like "For the next Pokemon game, I want to go wherever the eff I want!!!!," I can't help but shake my head for a few reasons.

From my perspective, closing off places until you meet a certain goal is not punishment for the player, it is hard work that a game requires for you to do for the reward of going further ahead - to the next level, in an alternate way of saying it. Yes, roadblocks are annoying and omnipresent in the Pokemon games, but I believe they are there most of the time to keep you wanting to see more. Yes, the main Gen 1 titles had a strong sense of open-world exploration, but even those games had their limits, which is saying a lot for a gen that started off improperly balanced battle mechanics-wise. Want to go to Saffron City? You'll have to give a guard something to drink first. Want to go to Cinnabar Island? Get the fifth badge in Fuchsia City, get the Surf HM in the Safari Zone, and then teach it to a Pokemon to help bring you there. Want to go to Fuchsia City? You'll have to apprehend Team Rocket in their secret hideout, defeat Giovanni, get the Silph Scope from him , go to the Lavender Tower, calm the spirit of Cubone's mother, defeat some Team Rocket grunts, get the Poke Flute as a reward, and then, and only then, you can clear both paths to Fuchsia, unless you don't want to challenge yourself and perform the whole ghost Marowak/Poke Doll oversight.

Also, if the next main game were to put a bigger emphasis on open-world exploration, some things would have to be sacrificed in the process, with the most prominent change being giving much less focus on its story and certain goals. When you're asking for a Pokemon game to give you the utmost freedom in exploring the region, you're inadvertently saying that you prefer you push yourself away from the other aspects of the game to do the job you'd already be done with, and this would not be a good look as it would make some people care even less about the work than the reward if the work is treated so much like an optional thing, and afterwards you would start to care more about the work because of it not being well-balanced.

On top of that, most people who are asking for more free roaming in a main Pokemon title have also been asking for a stronger story. Going on the topic of a more popular opinion, I agree that I want to see story writing improvements for the main games as much as the next guy. I'm the kind of guy who plays Pokemon for a good balance of both gameplay and story, so if I were to think about how the next main Pokemon game would be done justice with a larger focus on open-world exploration, I would want for story and motivation to still be in great balance because those are two key things that keep most players attached and invested in the games. A Pokemon game with not so much of a story to tell while having sheer amount of focus on exploration would be boring. A Pokemon game with fewer goals and motivation to keep you going further would feel pointless.

Just look at the main trilogy of Ape Escape games (btw, still waiting on the fourth game SCE), they are linear, and yet I see a lot of replay value in them, and that has to do with more than being able to backtrack to a certain level and in extension to the optional minigames. Each one in the trilogy requires you to complete a goal in a level before you can move forward. That mechanism is not there to throw you off, it's rather to motivate you. Of course, the Pokemon franchise can do more as it has the option to provide more of a sense of free exploration, but as long as motivation is still a key factor, I don't see linearity being too much of a problem in the main games.

• Like 1

i prefer the season 10 fop intro over the other fop intro

duelist kingdom may be the worst arc in all of the yugioh franchise because the duels got so boring and hard to watch

the best arc in that yugioh show is actually the virtual world arc with noah because of how entertaining the duels are and the story is amazing (even if its not as good as anything from arc v's first 2 seasons or anything from zexal i say first 2 arc v seasons because i never saw anything from arc v after that 

yugi yami yugi and yusei are boring protaginists 

galaxy eyes photon dragon looks so much cooler than blue eyes white dragon 

channel chasers is only a 7/10

chop kick panda is a better movie than kung fu panda

rainbow dash from fim is one of my least favorite animated character (shes amazing in g3 and g3.5 though)

master roshi is an awful dragonball franchise character 

megaforce is my favorite power rangers season and dino charge is my least favorite

the simpsons is a bad show and always has been

homer simpson is a terrible character

stinkfly was one of my least favorite aliens in the original continuity because of its terrible design and i am glad the reboot improved it

The Long Ring Long Land Arc of One Piece (aka Davy Back Fight Arc or whatever you want to call it) is one of the most needlessly over-hated shonen arcs of all time. Like, come the fuck on guys. Not every arc has to be Water 7 or even Skypiea involving the Straw Hats taking down a super powerful big bad and otherwise dealing with a lot of deeper subjects (Robin and Franky's past, Usopp's inferiority complex, the corruption of the World Government for Water 7/Enies Lobby). While One Piece uses it's more serious subject matter really well and tells its stories masterfully and what not... this is still the world of One Piece. Despite the harsh realities of the world of One Piece, it's still a world where people who look like this are pretty much among the strongest, most powerful, and tyrannical people in the world. It's a world that ranges from depressing and real to absolutely beyond fantastical and just straight-up fucking bizarre. And few arcs of One Piece capture the show's fun essence as well as the Davy Back Fight Arc. It's literally just a short breather between the panic of Skypiea and the extremely emotionally intense Water 7/Enies Lobby arcs involving the Straw Hats playing rigged games against a hunchbacked Waluigi-look alike with an English voice akin to Doofinshmertz. It's absolutely silly and light hearted and that's what makes it so great. It really takes advantage of the weirder parts of the world, and is just plain fun and is even a great arc to show newcomers, because you really don't need any context and it shows off the traits of the main cast pretty well.

The video game industry became exciting once the 5th generation of consoles came in. I played some old Nintendo 8-bit/16-bit games and they're personally very boring gameplay wise. It has a cool aesthetic but nothing interesting for someone who's a non-gamer. I feel once the first playstation/64 came in, the graphics and games became much better, with the 6th and 7th generations being the peak of gaming. The current generation and stuff like the Wii U is hitting a boring stage again though. I miss all the cool third party games that you'd expect to have quality and there to be more of since video games are bigger than ever. Sad.

also minigame type games are great where the fuck are those at. At least give me the backwards compatibility option so I can play the gamecube/wii eras.

I don't really love or hate TikTok. Sure, there's some cringeworthy videos on the app, but there's also some really funny, creative, and enjoyable ones on there as well. 

I don't like Neon Genesis Evangelion. I don't hate it, but I would never put it up with other cult classic 90's anime like Cowboy Bebop. I really, really wanted to like it, and watched the entire series and the OVA and just could not get the appeal at all. There are things I do love about it; the art, the EVAs themselves, a lot of the concepts, and a good chunk of the fight scenes, but I think the whole show falls apart when it comes to the plot and its characters. I get it was the 90's, but the characters in Evangelion at least to me are so unmemorable, one note, and I could not get myself to care about a single one. Shinji is downright fucking excruciating to watch at certain points with how whiny he gets, and is definitely one of my least favorite protagonists I have ever seen in anything I've ever watched. I get that he's going through shit and what not but it does not make for an interesting, enjoyable character to watch for me because if he's gonna be like that, there has to be another side of his character that juxtaposes to it and makes up for it, but there's really... not. Rei isn't super interesting, but she's fine by me; nothing too notable, but nothing too bad. I get it was the 90's and the trope wasn't as overdone as it is now, but Asuka is literally the most boring, textbook tsundere ever (again I'm honestly a little biased because I also hate the tsundere trope with some exceptions). And most of the other characters for me were so forgettable, one-dimensional and uninteresting that I don't even feel like noting them. I could not care about any of these characters if I tried. And it's a show where they're all depressed as shit and to enjoy the plot I gotta sympathize with them and I can't. So it's kind of dead on arrival for me there. However, despite me disliking the characters, I do think the plot of the show is fairly solid for about the first half, before it gets so up it's own ass pretentious, impossible to follow, cluttered, and of course that infamous terrible ending. I think the only part of the second half of Evangelion I like is representing Shinji's weird fantasy or whatever the fuck with crayon, which I get they mainly did that because they used most of their budget at that point, was a really cool idea. I just feel like the series goes off the rails during the second half and a lot of people interpret a lot of its story flaws as post-modernism and what not when in my opinion, a lot of it is just poorly told storytelling trying way too hard to be complex and poignant. But I guess I'm missing something if it's so beloved. I really wanted to like it, and I sat through it all and End of Evangelion (although that one is a little fishy because my friend showed me it after I finished Evangelion and I was blasted off my ass when I first watched it and could not follow it to save my life because of that and barely even remember it), but I just don't get it at all. I find it's plot poorly constructed, confusing as all fuck, and pretentious as all hell in certain parts, and find the characters insanely boring. Also uhh, on one of the few things I remember from End of Evangelion, the "I'm so fucked up" scene is one of the most pointlessly fucking disgusting scenes I've ever watched. It doesn't further literally anything in the plot or Shinji or Asuka's character, it's just.... well, you know if you've seen it.

I don't think Seasons 4/5-7 of That 70's Show aren't as bad as many people make them out to be (not including Season 8, fuck that shit). Yeah a lot of the characters, especially Eric get flanderized hard with the whole bumming around the house thing, but the core of the show to me was always comedy instead of heart, and those seasons for the most part are still funny so they still got my attention and there's a handful of great episodes then (albeit I don't think I'll be revisiting it any time soon with Netflix taking it off and how much of a fucking monster Danny Masterson is but that's besides the point). Also Hyde and Jackie is easily my favorite ongoing plot point/relationship in the show, the two have such fucking good chemistry. They're definitely a drop in quality, but I wouldn't call them bad. Just wish good shows and group efforts wouldn't be tainted by a cast member being a serial rapist who's part of a cult who's lackeys orchestrate the poisonings of the pets of his victims, but again, besides the point, and hopefully I and many others will be able to come back in 5/10 years because that really was one of those comfort shows for me that I could just throw on whenever and not really have to pay attention.

Gecko Moria is the single most underrated antagonist in One Piece. I always see people bring him up when bringing up the worst villains in the story (usually Wapol and Foxy; Foxy honestly serves his purpose very well, fuck Wapol), and I can't figure out why. Where Moria excels as a villain is highly dependent on to where he's introduced in the story- just as the Straw Hats are about to make it to the New World, he's a reject of it after his crew was wiped out by Kaido. The idea of a villain creating an undead army after being struck with grief and trauma after watching his old crew all be massacred is a damn neat idea for a villain, and it's done pretty well in my opinion. And from that, he's just completely lost his mojo, he's fat, unmotivated, and has to resort to petty pillaging and crimes with abducting pirates and leaving them out to sea. He's literally a SHADOW of himself (no pun intended; might have on Oda's half given his penchant for stuff like that, hence Doflamingo being a literal puppet master), and something that always stuck out to me was the scene where Luffy meets him for the first time and hurls the classic Luffy "I'm gonna kick your ass!" spiel, and like most of the other villains who are either riled up by it or just sit by relaxed not believing him/what not, Moria just sits back, and laughs nervously, faking a confident persona and doing a bad job at it. I don't think he's one of the series' best, like I don't think he's near Doflamingo, Lucci, Katakuri, Eneru, etc but he's a way better villain than most give him credit for IMO.

U2 is so pointlessly overhated. Yeah they kinda became generic studio rock as they went on and what not but even then they're still passable. Also War, The Unforgettable Fire, The Joshua Tree.... all fucking classics.

Edited by CyanideFishbone

Len Kagamine as a Vocaloid is just as overrated as much as Hatsune Miku is....while don’t get me wrong he’s nowhere near bad (fairly good mostly), I never can stand and get the appeal of his voice when its super high pitched in some songs.

Wacky Workbench Zone from Sonic CD is actually great and fun

Dragon Ball Super is more pathetic and worse than what DBGT is

3 hours ago, StardustSpeedwayFace said:

Dragon Ball Super is more pathetic and worse than what DBGT is

Ehh idk about that one chief. DBS is far, far from perfect but I wouldn't put it on the same level of GT. Super's worst arcs are mostly just boring and uninspired while GT has some serious "what the actual fuck were they thinking?" moments. IMO, Super's biggest problems are some of the uninspired and sometimes confusing (*cough* Goku Black *cough*) arcs and how bad they botched Goku's character and made him just absolutely braindead. At the very least, while Super as a story is super far from perfect, I still find a good portion of it enjoyable (while not as good as DB or pre-Buu DBZ) while GT really only has the Baby Saga going for it.

Also the Broly Saga/Dragon Ball Super: Broly is hands down the best thing the franchise has put out since the Cell Saga and no one can change my mind. Still need to reread the Galactic Patrol Prisoner Saga as it's done but I wasn't impressed with the bit of it I read. It had a lot of promise but just kinda killed it iirc.

I think a lot of the backlash against James Rolfe is super overblown and silly. Yeah his content now isn't anywhere as good as it once was and I know he doesn't write his own scripts anymore, but he's also raising two very young children. He just sounds creatively burnt out mostly and hasn't done anything problematic besides that (The Ghostbusters thing was just a giant misunderstanding), and we live in the golden age of YouTubers being exposed as groomers/pedos/etc, so if that's the worst Rolfe has done is be a bit lazy, so be it. To me, a lot of his detractors just seem like angry people who don't realize that when you have kids, especially ones as young as Rolfe's, that's pretty much your entire life until they're able to be self-sufficient. 

• Like 3

I don’t have a problem with Hollywood making movies about ~the industry~. I know some people see it as self-congratulatory but I think it’s cool, especially if it’s a period piece. *shrug*

Demon Slayer is so overrated and I feel like I'm the one person in the world who wasn't completely head over heels with Mugen Train. I don't dislike either, I still enjoyed both for the most part, but they are far from my favorites. As someone who really enjoys shonen/manga, I really love Dragon Ball, FMA, One Piece, My Hero Academia, etc. I even like series like Fairy Tail and Bleach which a lot of people shit on, so I was kinda expecting Demon Slayer to be a slam dunk for me in terms of enjoying it; especially considering how much I've enjoyed some of the more recent shonen I've read like Jujutsu Kaisen (still need to watch the anime) and Chainsaw Man (despite it going to Shonen Jump's seinen branch). With most things, I went in just expecting a good time, but was not expected to be this BORED watching Demon Slayer, especially at the start.

Quick obligatory the animation of Demon Slayer is goddamn amazing. It looks like a movie throughout the entire series. That is one thing I believe lives up to all the hype, and then some honestly. The fight scenes are also super well done and extremely well animated ofc. But it really feels like all the elbow grease went into those things when writing it because jesus christ the characters are uninteresting as hell for the most part. I really don't get what everyone sees in Tanjiro, the dude has the personality of a wet blanket and is literally THE most boring protagonist I have ever read in a story. I at the very least would prefer loud shonen idiot protag to this kid. Tanjiro has no personality, no nuance, nothing; he's nice and cares about saving people and his friends. That's pretty much it. No fun character quirks, no other dimensions, that's really it. And when you have a weak protagonist, personally I find it hard to get super invested- which doesn't help because Demon Slayer's plot really isn't very interesting either. It's the most generic shonen plot I've ever seen, if I had a shot for every shonen cliche that's been beaten into the ground throughout Demon Slayer I would have alcohol poisoning. None of the antagonists are interesting at all, Kyogai was the only one that stuck out to me, but also I don't know how much that has to do with the fact I love Steve Blum and hearing his voice in an anime again is just bliss honestly. Also his powers were cool and that part of the story was where things started to pick up with me so there's that.

A lot of people give Zenitsu shit but honestly I enjoyed his presence, but I don't know how much that had to do with the fact that Tanjiro has the personality of sandpaper. Inosuke is a great character though, but I feel like half the time he was on screen I was wondering to myself how much better this whole thing would be if he was the lead instead of a piece of human sandpaper. I feel like Nezuko's purpose is more concerned with fighting occasionally and being cute since she barely talks if ever, and she does pass that admittedly with flying colors (goddamn she is adorable I'll give the series that). I literally do not remember anything about any other characters. No fun character quirks, moments, nothing. The mentor serves his purpose for the plot and is pretty much ditched after that, but he barely had any personality at all. Like just, jesus, it's not hard to give your characters personality. You did it twice with Zenitsu and Inosuke and did it fairly well but I just feel like all the other characters are just a hodge podge of random shonen stock character traits or there was no attempt to make these characters stand out and feel important which in turn makes them feel like plot devices to me. And the characters not being great wouldn't be a huge issue to me if the story was interesting which it really isn't. Nezuko gets turned into demon, dude runs into professional demon slayer, goes to train, does the exam, becomes demon slayer, fights some monsters, meets Inosuke and Zenitsu, eventually they find out Tanjiro is holding a demon, meets the Hashira, they say Nezuko is fine, than the events of Mugen Train. Not really much more than that. Ehhhhh.

Mugen Train is gorgeous visually. That I will attest to again. The fight scenes are also super well done, and the dream concept was pretty well done. But I don't know, I just felt like everyone walked out of it in awe and I did so for other movies like the Broly movie 2 years back and I just kinda walked out of the theater for Mugen Train like "okay, that was a thing". I will say the movie did a really great balancing act at keeping Zenitsu both serious and competent while still keeping him goofy comic relief to which the anime adaptation more teeters toward the latter. But I don't know, maybe it's moreso the media hype as opposed to the movie's quality. The villain was also awful. I've never been a fan of evil for the sake of being evil villains and this was that. Because fuck motives, am I right? Also the villain looked like blatant 13 year old emo girl tumblr bait but that's not important just a funny note. And also while Mugen Train was gorgeous, I didn't think of it as much more a visual spectacle as opposed to Broly, the MHA movies, and even some of the recent One Piece movies like Stampede. Demon Slayer's animation is absolutely theatrical level, so seeing it for a TV series is pretty amazing, while here it just felt pretty by the note for a theatrical anime movie. Although to be fair I don't think the American movie-going public at large is as used to visual spectacles like this for anime movies so that's understandable from their perspective.

MUGEN TRAIN SPOILERS (FORGOT HOW TO DO A SPOILER TAG)

I also did not feel anything when Rengoku died. I also hated how the main antagonist died only for another one to show up without any sort of buildup or any foreshadowing that this would happen- it really just felt like a cheap trick by the plot so Rengoku could die and the arc could have it's emotional climax. Also I feel like by this point in the series we're given so little screentime with Rengoku so his death doesn't feel worth it. The reason why the deaths of characters like Jiraiya in Naruto, Ace in One Piece, etc is we're given time with these characters. We understand the relationships they have with the protagonists and other central characters, what they value in life, who they are, and maybe even some of their past. None of that is given with Rengoku. He's nice when he's introduced, is kinda cool, and then dies and the series is supposed to make me care about him. I don't, I'm sorry. These characters need to be fleshed out when they die for them to have any emotional impact for me. Even Rosinante from One Piece had a bigger emotional impact when he died, in a flashback, and who was around for FIVE chapters as opposed to Rengoku being around for so much longer. But that's also because Oda is a great writer and understands that Rosinante needs to be fleshed out for his death, and thus Law's flashback, to have emotional impact to which it did in spades for me. Your characters need to be fleshed out before they die for it to have any emotional impact, which I feel like Demon Slayer does not understand. 

And that's that, I guess. I still enjoyed it but Jesus Christ it is not one of my favorites and doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as some of the greats IMO. Also I know it's petty and I'm also insanely biased but the fact this overtook One Piece in sales for a little while kinda peeves me. Comparing this to One Piece is like comparing Taco Bell to an authentic Mexican restaurant.