• Advertisement

182b. Bumper to Bumper

Ron

Episode Rating?  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Rating?

• 5/5 Stars: SpongeBob, I am proud to give you your license!
    • 4/5 Stars: Focus on the road...there is nothing but the road.
    • 3/5 Stars: You could do better.
    • 2/5 Stars: Let's not fail again..
    • 1/5 Stars: You failed again!

182b_Episodenkarte-Bumper_to_Bumper.jpg

* Written by: Casey, Zeus, and Mr. Lawrence

* Fun Fact: This is the first Boating School themed episode Mr. Lawrence has written since Season 2's No Free Rides

* Who is Mrs. Puff driving around?

* Let's hope Mrs. Puff doesn't try to kill SpongeBob again..

* Pass the 3D glasses!

* Welp, there's another failure..

* Lol at how they think Mrs. Puff and SpongeBob are a part of the movie. :P

* Hey, we see Mrs. Puff's house again.

* Parol? Guess they referenced all those arrests, then.

* Hmm, so Mrs. Puff is trying to be nice to SpongeBob.

* They are driving out in a desert...why?

* This desert reminds me of the Movie.

* Awesome backgrounds for the desert too.

* Focus on the road...there is nothing but the road.

* Wow, SpongeBob is driving good.

* Lol at the snow on the mountain.

* Oh boy..SpongeBob got high again.

* One more test..let's hope SpongeBob doesn't fail.

* Uh oh, traffic jam.

* SpongeBob is frozen...well, I sense another failure.

* And of course, there's a cop.

* We've got us a runner.

* SpongeBob..parked the boat?!

* I can't believe it...SPONGEBOB GOT HIS LICENSE?

* ...Oh well, he almost his had his license, if it wasn't for the cop.

Grade: B+

Nice episode.

Da Good

-The episode seemed to fix Mrs. Puff's character from the butchering she received in Demolition Doofus. That was good.

-The 3D bit was actually pretty hilarious- The two fish acted like Beavis and Butthead, which got me to laugh.

-The entire opening was actually pretty stellar.

-The background in the desert was pretty cool- Reminded me a bit of the area pre-Trench in the movie with all the skulls.

-I loved the little trippy montage. "Focus on the road. There is nothing but the road...."

-I liked the title card and it's music.

-Again, the animation is awesome. HD did some big favors for the show.

Da Bad

-The ending was a bit cruel to SB and Mrs. Puff.

-The last quarter of the episode was kinda lacking in the laughs department. :/

Aside from that, the episode was good. 8.0/10. Also, this was the first Boating School episode Mr. Lawrence has written since Season 2's No Free Rides! I found that very cool.

• Like 2

Caught this randomly this morning.

My review:

I loved this episode, but a bit shocking to find out Mrs. Puff is on parole o-o . I kinda like the continuity though. It was also nice to see Puff's house again. I gotta admit that I thought Mrs. Puff's method would work and she would finally be free of Spongestalker CreepPants. Sadly that stupid cop had to mess everything up.

Overall, 8.9/10.

• Like 1

I thought it was a good episode, and I loved how Mrs. Puff's house had another one of those famous pictures (this time a pic of her laying on the couch exactly like in the scene--callback to No Free Rides, perhaps?).

Stupid cop had to ruin it all--felt kinda bad for SpongeBob when his license was declared void. :/

• Like 1

Did anyone else notice the cameo by Smitty Werbenjagermanjensen? Or maybe it was one of his friends.

Anyway, this episode was pretty cool.

Edited by jjsthekid

I thought it was a good episode. It was nice that Mrs. Puff was trying to make the test easier for SpongeBob- even though it was so she would never have to see him again. Kinda trippy with the "Focus on the road...there is nothing but the road" but at least it worked.

Too bad, he was even closer to getting his driver's liscense this time.

Nice episode.

Da Good

-The episode seemed to fix Mrs. Puff's character from the butchering she received in Demolition Doofus. That was good.

-The 3D bit was actually pretty hilarious- The two fish acted like Beavis and Butthead, which got me to laugh.

-The entire opening was actually pretty stellar.

-The background in the desert was pretty cool- Reminded me a bit of the area pre-Trench in the movie with all the skulls.

-I loved the little trippy montage. "Focus on the road. There is nothing but the road...."

-I liked the title card and it's music.

-Again, the animation is awesome. HD did some big favors for the show.

Da Bad

-The ending was a bit cruel to SB and Mrs. Puff.

-The last quarter of the episode was kinda lacking in the laughs department. :/

Aside from that, the episode was good. 8.0/10. Also, this was the first Boating School episode Mr. Lawrence has written since Season 2's No Free Rides! I found that very cool.

This, minus the stellar opening part.

This episode was good, but the ending was kind of depressing. 7/10

Oh swear word, why the halibut did I not check on this!? I didn't even know this was happening and I...just missed it. Jesus...

http://www.sbmania.net/BTB.mp4

Anyways, this episode was meh. Some parts felt like they could have been funny (the 3-D jokes) but just fell flat. I'll get to writing a proper review soon.

6/10

Did anyone else notice the cameo by Smitty Werbenjagermanjensen? Or maybe it was one of his friends.

Anyway, this episode was pretty cool.

I noticed that too! Pretty cool.

The episode was a lot better then I hoped it would be. I'm glad like you guys said that Mrs. Puff is back to normal from her terrible OOC moments from Demolition Doofus. I was thrilled that Mrs. Puff took a real interest into trying to get SpongeBob to pass. And what is the more perfect way then having SpongeBob drive when he's not scared? Again, this episode proves that SpongeBob can drive when he's not nervous. The twist at the end was crazy, it reminded me when SpongeBob almost got his license in Nautical Novice. I also loved that the pictureception in Mrs. Puff's house returned from No Free Rides.

7.4/10

I noticed that too! Pretty cool.

The episode was a lot better then I hoped it would be. I'm glad like you guys said that Mrs. Puff is back to normal from her terrible OOC moments from Demolition Doofus. I was thrilled that Mrs. Puff took a real interest into trying to get SpongeBob to pass. And what is the more perfect way then having SpongeBob drive when he's not scared? Again, this episode proves that SpongeBob can drive when he's not nervous. The twist at the end was crazy, it reminded me when SpongeBob almost got his license in Nautical Novice.

7.4/10

Fixed.

182b_Episodenkarte-Bumper_to_Bumper.jpg

==============Bumper To Bumper==================
Season 9
Writer(s): Casey Alexander, Zeus Cervas, (Mr.) Doug Lawrence
Production Code ~ 182b
Rating ~ ★★★ (6.5/10)
================================================
My new review format, guys! How do you like it? biggrin.png

So, when I first caught word of this "episode", I had suspicions that it'd be a "boating school" centered episode. I.. also predicted the "infamous" Casey Alexander & Zeus Cervas would write for it. Looks like my predictions were both correct. But it's not just a boating school episode..

It's a boating school episode with a marathon right next to it! Nickelodeon aired a "Biggest Boating Blunders" marathon with essentially most or all of the show's "boating school" themed episodes in it with the big ratings-trap being this episode. I didn't expect much from this episode at this point. Why? I have never really enjoyed boating school episodes. There are some good ones ("No Free Rides", "Boating School"), but all of them have Mrs. Puff (or the female Squidward) being tortured to no end by, you guessed it, SpongeBob. They do have some good comedy in them sometimes.. "key word - sometimes". Demolition Doofus, anyone?

The incessant Flanderization of Mrs. Puff in that episode was an absolute trainwreck (minus the Huff scene, which I actually loved).

But we're not talking about Demolition Doofus.. we're talking about Bumper To Bumper!

My psychic Jedi skills were with me this episode, since I was able to predict the plot format quite well (SpongeBob fails driving test, Mrs. Puff comes up with idea to have SpongeBob pass, epicly fails). The main plot goes like this - SpongeBob fails this driving test yet again, so good ol' Poppy Puff comes up with an idea - SpongeBob is "scared" of the boating school course, so she decides to have him put on an actual road. By "actual road", I mean "bumpy deathtrap that nobody would dare drive on". SpongeBob is actually quite calm and drives well thanks to a mantra "There is ONLY the road". However, he gets so involved in it that he drives OFF the road and onto a actual highway.

(During this mantra, I HAVE to point out that SpongeBob gets SO involved in it that he actually goes on a major pot trip of sorts. It's comedic and I chuckled at it but it's so out of place I don't know what to make of it.)

The major climax scene of this episode involves - you guessed it - a police chase scene. I'd say this is one of my favorite parts of the episode, if it wasn't for it's major predictability. The only boating school episode I can think of where the major climax is NOT a police chase is "No Free Rides". However, it is still a action-packed chase scene and I will say that the animation was really fun to watch.

The ending.. takes away a LOT from the episode. Previously mentioned in the episode is that Mrs. Puff is on parole and cannot leave the county line - it's a majorly ignored plot device. Later, in this "ending", the episode pulls a big Chekhov's Gun. Even though SpongeBob earns his license, the policeman catches them and explains fiercely that Puff crossed the county line, so therefore, the test is null. He rips apart SpongeBob's license without any sense of remorse whatsoever. Unlike the fish from "Nautical Novice", who has SOME remorse for SpongeBob and gives him his sea legs, this police officer has no sense of remorse whatsoever. I know, I shouldn't be touching on something so small from a child-aimed cartoon, but this cruel policeman just hurt me inside so much. Then again, all Bikini Bottom citizens are gluttonous greedy jerks, anyway, so..

Mrs. Puff goes to jail, threatens SpongeBob (I'll get you, SpongeBob! I'll get you!) and then the episode ends on that note. The ending had little to no remorse for both Puff & SpongeBob whatsoever. That terrible ending took off an ENTIRE STAR from my rating. I'd put it down as one of the worst endings in SpongeBob history (Stuck To The Wringer is up there too).

As for the comedy, this one was pretty stale. I chuckled when SpongeBob was on the television screen and Mrs. Puff muted his dialogue, and at the incredibly out of place "acid trip". The "Going Bananas 3 in 3D!" thing was pretty stale. It was your typical "It's in 3D, but when something comes out of the screen and it's real, they think it's in 3D!" joke. Nothing else really memorable comedy wise from this episode, however I'll never know what to make of the "acid trip".

A fun fact here to point out (As other people have pointed out) is that this is the first "boating school" episode that Mr. (Doug) Lawrence has written since No Free Rides. That episode has come out a LOT of times here, has it? tongue.png

So, shortened up, Bumper To Bumper's a bit of a mixed bag. Your typical mean spirited boating school episode with some typical comedy thrown in there. It wasn't terrible, though. I loved seeing Mrs. Puff's house and the boating school course from "Boating School" again. Actually, the "mantra" segment was really similar to Boating School since it was SpongeBob driving calmly and safely in a dangerous driving course. (Minus the antenna hat.) It wasn't terrible, but it's nothing special, either.

I've been too lazy to post here so im late here :D haha Anyways, I wasn't looking forward to this episode worrying Mrs. Puff would be mean like she was in Demolition Doofus. I'm watching this dreading it and it was actually WAY better than I expected. I enjoyed this episode. The storyline was sooooooooooooo good. There were some funny moments. The desert backgrounds with SpongeBob driving is awesome and the last few minutes with SpongeBob reckless driving and spinning around the road was a very exciting ride. My only complaint was the ending. Like seriously??? why can't SpongeBob just have his license starting from this episode??? Mrs. Puff was happy, SpongeBob was happy, and I was happy. Then the cop had to come and rip up SpongeBob's license. I really hate the writers feel the need to just continue SpongeBob failing... let him have the damn license already. :/ All-in-all, I enjoyed everything about this episode except for the ending.

9.5 out of 10