• Advertisement

Spanking Ban (full credit goes to ssj)

Clappy

So I saw an interesting topic when I was on SBM the other day that ssj made. All the credit goes to him for bringing this to everyone's attention on here.

http://shine.yahoo.com/parenting/spanking-ban-delaware-first-state-pass-law-expanding-181200724.html

To paraphrase what this article is about, Delaware passed a law criminalizing spanking. But I would recommend giving this article a read. It is quite interesting.

Which brings me to this point, would you consider spanking as a form of child abuse? Also, do you see other states following Delaware and criminalizing spanking?

I'm not sure where I stand on this debate. There is a difference between this and abuse. But it's still cruel.

Funny, when I saw the title, at first I thought you were banned from SBM or something and "spanking" was an adjective :P

Oh please, that's just exaggerating, in my opinion. Ok, it's not like it's ok to break your child's bottoms cuz they've done something bad, but trust me, some kids do need some spanking to be disciplined. My mom spanked the shit out of my sisters and me when we were kids and we all turned out fine xD

If there is any emotion coming from the spank, I believe that it's considered more or less abusive. If you can put your emotions aside from discipline, then a smack is a smack. Of course not a beat down or anything. If you're enraged or annoyed with your child and you punish them with feelings, that affects them not only physically but emotionally.

Guest ssj4gogita4

Girlfriend and I have already talked about this several times. Spanking will be a last resort if our child does not want to listen at all after either a warning or a timeout.

No, spanking is not a form of child abuse, unless you maybe use a belt or wooden paddle where it leaves marks or bruises the next couple days, imo. You can spank hard enough to get your point across without bruising. If I have to in the future I will spank my child in a grocery store if they don't stop whining about getting candy or whatnot. If other people want to watch, I will tell them "You're going to be next if you keep watching."