• Advertisement

037b. I'm With Stupid

JCM

3/10

Honestly, when it comes to bad pre-movie episodes, this takes the cake. Not only was it barely funny and stupid, but it also tortures our lovable (at the time) main character by making him being surrounded by huge morons. It was unbearable.

It can get very irritating to see Spongebob get treated badly despite doing something for his friend. It's irritating. 4/10

EDIT: Wait I didn't even make much of a good review. I reviewed the last few minutes. The episode is pretty good, minus the last scene. And dat title music... YES. 7/10

Edited by Maxwell's Silver Hammer

Before there was Squidward Abuse they made SB Abuse To Prove S2 Isn't Great this is the Episode to Prove it

In this Episode Patrick Treats SpongeBob like an Idiot in order to impress his Parents There's Flaws in this Episode that make this Episode an SB Abuse Episode and a Bad S2 Episode

#1 Patrick treats SpongeBob Like an Idiot to impress his Parents The Problem? HE GETS AWAY WITH THIS And His Parents Laughs at SpongeBob inculding Patrick and At the end He finds out his Parents aren't the real Parents So SB Abuse and Patrick Treats SpongeBob like an Idiot in order to impress his Parents and He finds Out his Parents aren't Real Parents Ouch!

#2 This Episode is missing Something that is Humor This is a Episode they don't Have Humor at All and make a SB torture Episode Without any Humor HUMOR IS THE MOST IMPORTANT THING IN THE EPISODES THIS IS A COMEDY SHOW PEOPLE!

#3 The ending is weak in this Episode Because Patrick Find out That the Parents is fake and Gets his Real Parents into his House so He is Living with Fake Parents All Along? Ouch Again!

Final Rating 4/10

You know, if you think about it. SB kinda deserved what he got in I'm With Stupid. He says Patrick is having another "episode" and top of that he says the only thing he ever seen Patrick clean is his plate. Plus, if SpongeBob and Pat are such close friends why didn't SB know those were Patrick's fake parents? What, he didn't see them at all in their long friendship?

• Like 3

Here's a debate done by PieGuyRulz and MrEnter about this episode. 

So, yeah, I definitely agreed with both of your points. Both are great ways to express their opinions. I guess I'd call it a ScumBob episode, but it's MUCH more tame then the stuff from Season 5-onwards (And Artist Unknown, the onlytruly bad pre-movie ep). And I definitely still get a laugh at the episode. It's hilarious. But it's still mean-spirited. I'm having a debate in my head about the episode myself. Maybe I do like this episode. Maybe not. Not so sure anymore. 

So now I realize that this episode does have its haters before He-Who-Shall-Not-Make-This-Website-Into-A-Circlejerk-of-His-Majesty.

And now it feels like most of the fandom is hating on this episode now ever since Mr. Enter has acknowledged how bad this episode turned out to be. It's a rare rotten episode from the pre-movie seasons, but I'm not feeling the hate.....

Patrick is a jerk. Is that why the episode is bad? Spongebob gets pushed around. Is that why the episode is bad? Not in my opinion. They feel out of character but there's a little of reasons for that. To me, when a character loses its personality like in this episode, then I cannot find the episode worth watching. If a character becomes a stick in the mud, then I cannot hate the episode just because. Some problems I have is Patrick "not being dumb," and Spongebob slowly breaking out of his character. I don't know why I'm not hating on this episode regardless of those two major flaws, but I feel like the Spongebob "abuse" here is not really strong enough on me to despise on this.

As I can see here, Patrick wants to impress his parents who are coming over for "Starfish Day" with Spongebob deciding to help. Patrick's real parents wound up with Squidward while a pair of two starfish come over to Patrick's home and pose as his parents...for whatever reason why, I don't know. Spongebob pretends to be dumb while Patrick tries to be the smart one, only for Janet and Marty's influences to eventually make Patrick into a brute like them. Spongebob advises Patrick to wither down the insults and decides to tell the fake parents the truth, but it still doesn't work out. Spongebob loses his sanity and leaves his home in an extreme matter. When the two parents mention each other as "Janet" and "Marty," Patrick realizes that they are total strangers. Squidward then shows up near Patrick's house and introduces him another pair of starfish. Upon recognition, they are Patrick's real parents while Janet and Marty just leave, considering that they don't really have a son.

Patrick, Janet, and Marty get away with the all the insults they throw at Spongebob. Well...it's not like we need the police in this episode or something. Apparently, I don't feel offended by the insults they gave him to begin with and I don't think I'll feel the same way. We do have a spectacular ending with a bittersweet note. Spongebob lost his cool, but Patrick meets his real parents again and have a good long laugh together. To make a couple of my own interpretations before the ending, when Patrick grew confused about Janet and Marty and realized that they aren't his parents, I feel that Patrick has totally realized the imposters they were. I also think that he also starts thinking about what has just happened...even if we never hear from Spongebob after he literally broke out of Patrick's rock.

It has its moments too.

("Hey, a note." "Yeah, but turn it over, there's a letter!" "You're right.")

("You taught him math too!" "NOOOOO!" "And you taught him to sing!")

("He lives in a fruit?" "That's unhealthy.")

Trying to make Patrick's character look right must be more complex than I thought. Patrick is not a bad character and I still don't find this as a bad episode regardless of what the episode doesn't do correctly. I'll give it a 6/10.

Making a SpongeBob abuse episode is never ever done well pre move or post movie. This episode is the prime example of a bad season 2 episode and a reason why SpongeBob abuse shouldn't be done. 6/10