• Advertisement

029b. Dumped

Jjs Goodman

This is a terrible episode. I wanted to strangle Patrick.  Then the crying. WAY too much crying. A good way to describe this episode is that it's Yours, Mine, and Mine, pre-movie style.

• Like 1

The opinions on this episode are a mixed bag. Some people think this is one of the worst pre-movie episodes, while the others think this is a classic and one of the best episodes. This episode is not really bad as some people says but It's not one of the best SB episodes either. I really liked this episode though. Yes, I'm a fan of this episode. It's not one of my favorite episodes but there were many parts that I really laughed. Sure, Patrick was a jerk and the reason why Gary left SpongeBob was very stupid but I found this episode funny. Also Patrick did get what he deserved at the end of this episode. The begining when SpongeBob, Gary and Patrick played tag, SpongeBob's worm Rex escaping and leaving the town, Lary the Snail's parts and Patrick's "I thought what we had was special!" line were very funny. I rate this episode 9/10. Million times better than I'm With Stupid, which is another episode when Patrick was a jerk.

This episode certainly wasn't a bad episode or anything, but it really sticks out for being the only 'Classic' episode that doesn't really have any good jokes, as even "Artist Unknown" is full of them, they just work horribly in context, and with that, it really feels like there's something missing from it. Because of that lack, the critical flaws start to show. It feels like it's trying to be really emotional and serious, but they drag it onto that emotion so long that it just comes out as really sappy and soap-opera-y, trying to be really manipulative that anything's actually going to happen, I mean, the cookie being in Patrick's pocket? Why didn't he grab it earlier? The whole plot pretty much was killed by that failed gag. Speaking of Patrick, he is really neglectful and in denial of SpongeBob's feelings and emotion, as if he doesn't even care that he pretty much lost his pet. I can mostly forgive this in I'm With Stupid because of how hilarious it was, but here, there's nothing to fall back on and it's just sad and depressing to think about.

4/10. If you want this plot done well, you should probably check out Have You Seen this Snail?.

It's actually a pretty interesting episode. SpongeBob is both relatable and funny, and the ending makes up for sad parts. Larry was definately the highlight of this episode, along with the great use of background music. A bit too emotional as I remember it, but rewatching it I thought it was funny rather than emotional. Also, a little emotion doesn't hurt from time to time. After all, it is what made some episodes great, like Dying for Pie, as long as it has great and tastefull comedy.

This would not count as pre-movie being more liked because it's pre-movie. It would count as the opposite due to this episode being hated for being sad but "Have You Seen This Snail?" being loved for the same reason (it's considered the saddest episode ever)!

Highlight: Crying in soap

Lowlight: The beginning