• Advertisement

Chick-Fil-A Controversy

Clappy

I don't know how many people are keeping up with the news, but lately the fast food company Chick-Fil-A has been under fire for remarks made by president and CEO Dan Cathy. In an interview a little over a month ago, Cathy had these remarks in response to an interview question about his company's support of traditional family values.

"We are very much supportive of the family — the biblical definition of the family unit. We are a family-owned business, a family-led business, and we are married to our first wives. We give God thanks for that. ... We want to do anything we possibly can to strengthen families. We are very much committed to that," Cathy emphasized. "We intend to stay the course," he said. "We know that it might not be popular with everyone, but thank the Lord, we live in a country where we can share our values and operate on biblical principles."

The company has taken a bit of a public relations hit with people protesting saying that Chick-Fil-A is discriminating against homosexuals. However, Chick-Fil-A just held an appreciation day asking for their customers over social media to come out and support the company through these rough couple weeks of protest. How did that turn out? Well Chick-Fil-A just experienced their highest sales day in franchise history with many chains completely running out of chicken. Customers were also asked to take pictures of themselves on Facebook and/or Twitter enjoying their meals in support of the company.

However, GLAAD is striking back by proclaiming Friday as “National Same Sex Kiss Day at Chick-fil-A.” And also they are asking people to take pictures of themselves kissing in or outside the restaurant.

Well after all that info, what are your thoughts on this topic? Like I said, it has been sparking much debating all over social media lately.

Personally, I am indifferent. I just love chicken and if anyone starts throwing out bible verses or personal beliefs at me since I am supporting one of my favorite restaurants, so be it. I don't go to a restaurant because of what the CEO of the company believes. I just go there for the food that makes me happy.

As much as the CEO likes to believe in stupid shit, food's food.

Now, if they inject a serum into their chicken to attempt to convert me to Christianity or force me to acknowledge the existence of a God before I can make my order, that's where I'll draw the line.

• Like 3

I also support the biblical definition, though I really don't care about this whole thing. What really bugs me is how so many people are upset with Chickfila's (CEO)'s view. That is their opinion and nobody is going to change that. He openly said it, so what? Don't people have freedom of religion/freedom of speech?

The Media are the ones making a big deal about this just like every other random thing.

Really, who cares though, its all about the chicken! Yum. Who doesn't go to a restaurant because of the CEO's views?

That's like saying i'm not going to go to a restaurant because the CEO supports the Green Bay Pack or is a religion I don't care for.

This whole thing is so damn ridiculous I don't even...

Okay, first off, it's usually the homosexuals who are righteously indignant with this kind of stuff! But this time, they are completely overreacting. Now, I have nothing against gay people (and I'm not gay myself), but they seriously need to stop this.

Also, the Chick-Fil-A people can believe whatever they want. And that is Christianity. It's been like that since, like, forever. I mean come on, THEY CLOSE ON SUNDAY TO GO TO CHURCH. I don't see what the damn problem is. I don't see why it's a problem to not support gay people and their marriage. I don't see why the gays have stopped eating their food just because they don't support them. And I don't see why the gays didn't already know all of this.

Come on, gays! Get it together! I know you can! You guys are usually in the right with these sort of things, but this isn't your battle! Stop it before it gets worse!!

Sorry, but that was my side of the story. Come on, it's chicken. Nothing to get mad over.

Seriously, just let the people believe what they want to believe. There's no need to attack another belief or make such a deal about the dang thing. So what if Cathy believes in the Biblical principles of marriage? There's nothing in the Constitution that says he can't believe that. And besides, if the interviewer didn't want to hear this he shouldn't have asked the question in the first place.

The way I see it, the media is completely blowing this all out of porportion. Nowhere in his answer did he say he hated gays or was going to force them to break apart and marry women. All he said was he believed in the Biblical principles of marriage and that he wanted to help strengthen families. Did he elaborate on that and say he wanted to do anything about gays? No!

Honestly, if they go from there and start attacking franchises like VeggieTales and places like Family Christian Stores...

I mean, whatever happened to freedom of speech anyway?

• Like 3

Yeah, he said nothing negative about gays. Who cares what the CEO thinks? This is almost the equivalent of Cathy saying he likes the colour blue and someone who doesn't like the colour blue not eating there.

Absolutely ridiculous, that CEO said nothing discriminating or offensive in his speech. Besides the point, I couldn't care less about the beliefs of the owner of a restaurant as long as the food's good.

Why is the world having controversy about a chicken fast food restaurant anyway? It's ridicoulous. I don't care if they're homosexual - people can do whatever the hell they want to do. We have rights.

Absolutely ridiculous, that CEO said nothing discriminating or offensive in his speech. Besides the point, I couldn't care less about the beliefs of the owner of a restaurant as long as the food's good.

That's not the entire speech. Clappy left the first part out:

"I think we are inviting God's judgment on our nation when we shake our fist at Him and say 'we know better than you as to what constitutes a marriage' and I pray God's mercy on our generation that has such a prideful, arrogant attitude to think that we have the audacity to define what marriage is about."

Seems kinda iffy, but I still think the protests have gone way out of hand. Sheesh, it's not like Chick-fil-a refuses service to homosexuals or anything :rolleyes:

George Carlin was right. When you are born into the world, you get access to the Freak Show. When you born in America, you get front row seats. Only in 'Murrika would this be controversial.

But enough of my angst. This is completely idiotic. A lot of CEO's of companies everyone goes to do/believe several things that are 'controversial', the only reason why this is getting any attention is because the CEO publicly stated it instead of keeping it behind closed doors. Who gives a shit what the CEO thinks. It's a fucking company founded on Christian principals anyway. Of course the CEO supports biblical marriage! As long the CEO isn't letting his ideology get into the way of Ethical business practices/standards, who gives a shit!?

YES, I MAD!

• Like 1

I think that he has the right to his own opinion and all, but that is ridiculous. The employee can't really do much about it except sit there and take it. It's like pinning someone down and kicking at him all you want. And filming it? That's just unnecessary. I understand it's for attention, but in all actuality, it's just thoughtless and rude.

So now there's this Arizona executive that got fired from his job after publicly stating his opinion on the whole matter:

http://crimejusticea...com/chick-fil-a

Thoughts?

ROFL! So he went to a local Chick-Fil-A, not the CEO (You know, the one who actually made the comment?), and yelled at some dude working there? He deserved to get fired. If he can't even direct his anger towards the person who incited it then the consequences that result from that are entirely his fault.

• Like 1