• Advertisement

Gun Control

I don't think guns should be allowed to any person besides law enforcement officials. I think there can be special places in which people (hunters, for example) can go and (after background checks) may rent a gun. Unless they're a police officer, I see no viable reason for someone owning a gun.

• Like 1

I don't think guns should be allowed to any person besides law enforcement officials. I think there can be special places in which people (hunters, for example) can go and (after background checks) may rent a gun. Unless they're a police officer, I see no viable reason for someone owning a gun.

Agreed, 100% .

The reason guns aren't limited to policemen is because policemen aren't legally obliged to help citizens. If a maniac breaks into your home and tries to hurt you or your family, it would be silly to think that calling the cops will put you out of harm's way just like that. Police forces are getting smaller in this economy, and if they're swamped with cases, it could take hours for them to get to you. By then, you and your family would be dead and the criminal would be long gone.

Don't think that making guns illegal will magically put them out of the hands of criminals. The black market would still thrive, and if you wanted a gun, you could buy one no problem. They might be a bit more expensive, but I doubt that it would stop a psychopath like Holmes. The fact of the matter is: Making guns illegal would detrimental to nobody but law abiding citizens like us. It would make us even more vulnerable in crises where we're dealing with a man who has no respect for human life whatsoever. People should be allowed to own guns because people should be allowed to defend themselves when there's nobody else to do it for them.

I understand that there's people out there who abuse the right to bear arms. There have always been people like that. But the fact that there's people who abuse a right should never be a reason to take that right away. Guns are dangerous, and everybody knows this. Most of us are responsible and use guns for the purposes they were intended for. The good majority should not be punished for the actions of a bad minority. This Aurora shooting was tragic, and there's no disputing that, but I doubt that it will change much in regards to gun laws. The shooter had no license. He bought his guns online. Gun stores are required to make background checks before selling to anyone, and that's good enough for me.

• Like 1

I agree with JCM. You can't always expect the police to be there for you, guns will continue to find their way into people's (be they benevolent or malevolent) hands, and it'd just make people feel a hell of a lot more vulnerable without some sort of protection. I'd hate to repeat more of JCM's points so I'll stop here.

The reason guns aren't limited to policemen is because policemen aren't legally obliged to help citizens. If a maniac breaks into your home and tries to hurt you or your family, it would be silly to think that calling the cops will put you out of harm's way just like that. Police forces are getting smaller in this economy, and if they're swamped with cases, it could take hours for them to get to you. By then, you and your family would be dead and the criminal would be long gone.

Don't think that making guns illegal will magically put them out of the hands of criminals. The black market would still thrive, and if you wanted a gun, you could buy one no problem. They might be a bit more expensive, but I doubt that it would stop a psychopath like Holmes. The fact of the matter is: Making guns illegal would detrimental to nobody but law abiding citizens like us. It would make us even more vulnerable in crises where we're dealing with a man who has no respect for human life whatsoever. People should be allowed to own guns because people should be allowed to defend themselves when there's nobody else to do it for them.

I understand that there's people out there who abuse the right to bear arms. There have always been people like that. But the fact that there's people who abuse a right should never be a reason to take that right away. Guns are dangerous, and everybody knows this. Most of us are responsible and use guns for the purposes they were intended for. The good majority should not be punished for the actions of a bad minority. This Aurora shooting was tragic, and there's no disputing that, but I doubt that it will change much in regards to gun laws. The shooter had no license. He bought his guns online. Gun stores are required to make background checks before selling to anyone, and that's good enough for me.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Bravo, JCM, for such a well educated statement.

• Like 1

I'm in favor of banning the use of guns by civilians. I mostly say this because crime is out of control in Puerto Rico; and gun use has in many ways contributed to the crime rate beside drug trafficking.

As for the in the states, I think people have the right to own a weapon for self defense since it is not a problem in an average day compared to other parts of the world. But I do believe that it should be limited in a certain amount; then again like JCM said, the market to buy illegal weapons would still be there. If you forbid a certain product, people would still find ways to buy them even if its breaking the law. Pretty much similar to the drug problem worldwide.