• Advertisement

Finding Nemo 2

thespongebobfan

I'm still gonna watch this movie whatever it's good or not for me. Finding Nemo was great but it was never my favotite Pixar movie or even at top 5. I'm expecting this to me same as well, maybe lower than original but still. I can see why some people are starting to get bothered by Pixar having same "here's that emotional scene is gonna make people cry" cliche and as expected, it's in here from what i've hears but im a sucker for those i can't help it. Inside Out got me good sorry :P 

I'd like to see more original content tho instead of just sequels sequels sequels. I have faith in The Incredibles 2 but Toy Story 4 and Cars 2? Ehhhhhhhhhhh :awkward: 

Btw @terminoob, I gotta agree on that human world scenes in monsters university. Those scenes felt pretty touching, even tho im still new to college lol

I saw an advanced screening yesterday in Manhattan and thought it lived up to the previous film. Not going to spoil anything yet though.

17 minutes ago, NegiSpongie said:

Really? It's THAT good? Here I thought it was an unnecessary sequel made to showcase the popular character from the previous film.

It can be two things. 

• Like 4

So overall I thought it was pretty damn good. Not quite at the level of the original, but it's still very much a worthy sequel to Nemo. Now to be honest, I don't this exactly needed to be made, but Pixar still managed for the most part to tell a decently well-written story. This was very obviously forced upon by Disney, but there definitely was some passion put into it.

PROS:

*The animation is OUTSTANDING and gorgeous. Just look at it. The particle affects in the ocean, the scales on the fish, the sand, the seashells, the tentacles on Hank, they all look fantastic.

*Dory has a very compelling character arc as you see her doubt herself and come to terms with her short term memory loss and it's very heartbreaking seeing her assume it's her part she separated from her parents.

*There is a lot of humor like with the original and near the ending where Hank and Dory crash the truck had me laughing quite loudly. 

* A lot of the supporting characters like Crush and Squirt and Mr. Ray return, and Nemo's friends like the Squid and seahorse. There's also a post-credits scene with Scar and the other fish from the dentist in the original.

*There's some great new supporting characters as well like Becky, the sea lions, Destiny and Bailey and Hank as well. All lovable and bring some levity, and some emotional depth in Hank's case. He's very hard on himself and is afraid of the ocean and is kinda nervous.

*The flashback where Dory's mother is crying and worrying about her is really heartbreaking. This movie has a great depiction of special needs and how her parents are trying to help her manage it.

CONS:

*The first act is pretty weak and is a retread of the original for the most part. Yadda yadda, Nemo goes to Mr. Ray's class with Dory, yadda yadda fighting enemies way bigger than them.

*The flashback sequences can get pretty repetitive and all of them are about Dory's parents telling her to keep on swimming or to follow the shells. She repeats a lot of phrases like "the most powerful pair of glasses in the world" (referring to Bailey's ecto locating) and it hits the same emotional beats around in the bush a lot and Dory is always mentioning her short term memory loss and how she thinks losing her parents was her fault. I'm not saying I don't like it but I feel the same emotional beats were being explored.

*The ending, oh man. The ending is a mess. Basically Dory tries to get into the quarantined tank with the other Blue Tangs, then she assumes they're dead but that only lasts for about 10 minutes. Then she tries to get back in the exhibit and then the ocean?? Then she gets separated from Nemo and Marlin and that was plain emotional manipulation. Jesus, it did not need to be there.

*The sequence where she's freaking out was well-done but that plot point is dropped after like 10 minutes. I guess it's there to prove she can get lost and feel guilty but we already know that. Then it cuts between her trying to get back in, then to the exhibit and the ocean. It's a mess and the ending was overlong and should've been cut down significantly. And I find it a little asinine how right after Hank, Dory and her parents crash the truck and find Nemo and Marlin, it cuts straight to wherever Nemo and Marlin live and her parents move in with them. I liked the bit where she explores for a view with Marlin, but besides that it feels a little cheap and tacky. I think they should've kept the moment where Dory says she may not remember her parents but she'll meet them again and then have her return to Nemo and Marlin. It loses whatever emotional depth that moment had.

*Nemo and Marlin are underutilized and are basically arguing until they find Dory in the tube in the exhibit (the part where Bailey and Destiny think they're "devouring Dory alive" is really funny though)

*Sigourney Weaver being the lady on the intercom in the Aquarium is kinda weird. Feels like she was there for publicity and she's only there for a one liner from Dory. 

OVERALL: 7.5/10 (REALLY GOOD)

I apologize if I missed anything in the movie. The theater was packed and it was hard to hear at times.

Edited by Teamwork

Spoiler

Knowing Sigourney Weaver's history with Pixar (Wall•E), I thought it was a really clever running gag.

"oh...ohai Sigourney"

ALSO THERE'S A POST CREDIT SCENE STAY FOR IT PLEASE

1 hour ago, kevin_ng2010 said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Knowing Sigourney Weaver's history with Pixar (Wall•E), I thought it was a really clever running gag.

"oh...ohai Sigourney"

ALSO THERE'S A POST CREDIT SCENE STAY FOR IT PLEASE

Who knew Dory and Star-Lord were siblings all along.

Finding Dory is getting close to $75 million its second weekend. Most movies would be happy to get that their first weekend. FD is definitely passing $400 million at this rate.

Saw this last weekend.  I really liked it even though the huge sense of deja vu is completely noticeable.  But what this does differently is that it basks in it's deja vu and excels at expanding the amount of options the story takes and executes.  Dory excels as the main character and I'm invested in her story the entire time. I wish Marlin and Nemo were given more to do but they really didn't need to be given heavy amounts of attention.  This is Dory's movie and all my fears about her not being given the proper treatment as the focal point were completely proven wrong.  Also absolutely loved the new characters especially Hank the Octopus.

I think any complaints I have with the movie are that it lacks any sort of moving emotional moments that I've come to expect from Pixar.  They tried a few times, but it never struck a chord with me at all.  Also, for as much as the movie conveys it's message of accepting others for who they are and how to treat those with special needs, how the movie displays two of its one note characters that are clearly "different" are made fun of at the expense of cruel jokes.  It may be a minor nitpick to some, but it absolutely got under my skin that this was an attempt at "comedy".

Still a 8/10 movie though.  Definitely not as good as the original and probably not Top 10 Pixar, but I'm glad I saw it.  Defied my expectations and I appreciate this far more than past Pixar sequels/prequels Cars 2 and Monsters University.  Not as good as the Toy Story sequels, but good enough to definitely go check out.

• Like 1

With another $50+ million this weekend, Finding Dory's reaching unprecedented heights. I didn't think Shrek 2's record for an animated film was up for grabs when Finding Dory first came out, but I definitely think it is now. Shrek 2 had $314 million domestically after its third weekend. Finding Dory will have $380 million. I'd be surprised if it didn't make the $60 million or so it needs to win the record over the remainder of its run, so I'm saying it: Finding Dory will be the highest-grossing animated movie of all time in America. Let's hope my prediction works out this time.

I liked it but I really think 94% on Rotten Tomatoes is a wee bit of a stretch.

Even though the movie didn't travel much for a long period of time and felt stuck there, I liked all the new characters Dory came in contact with and friends from the past, they were all fun in their own ways. I'll admit her in the beginning with her family and the part where she started to hyperventilate about her parents possibly being gone forever got me a little when I first saw it. The last 30-40 fast paced minutes were the best imo. I loved the scene where the octopus was driving, wish we had more of that craziness  earlier. Speaking of that octopus, I wish he would have explained these "bad memories" of being in the ocean. I mean they're probably not that complex but it could have really helped to see him in a more sympathetic light, such as Maui from Moana's backstory. Though you did feel bad for him during the kid's pool. Oops rambling now. I agree with Clappy about the special needs thing as well, kinda felt bad for that one seal especially.

I kinda wish Nemo had a better role in the movie though. I felt like he was just there for support and didn't contribute much except urge his father. To be fair, I didn't think they would be in this journey with Dory. Not near the first movie's quality and adventurous into the unknown but it tried to be something unlike the first movie. Plus the graphics were lovely as usual current day Pixar's is and they found unique ways to keep the octopus and Dory hidden from humans, damn.