• Advertisement

033a. Shanghaied

Steel Sponge

One of my favorite episodes of all time.  So many good things about it, so many perfect comedy moments.  Probably in my Top 5...or just on the outside.  Absolutely adore this episode.  Oh and this is my sister's favorite.

10/10

A good example of what I think is a PERFECT episode. I can't think of anything bad to say about this episode.

Edited by jjsthekid

This is the only Flying Dutchman episode on the list, and boy, is it a doozy. When SpongeBob, Patrick, and Squidward climb onto the Dutchman's ship, they're forced into an eternity of servitude under him. Squidward gets dumped into a horrible vortex after mouthing off to his captor, and to prevent the same from happening to them, SpongeBob and Patrick try their best to please the ghost. Of course, their actions end up having the opposite effect, and the Flying Dutchman decides that it'll be much less of a hassle just to eat them. SpongeBob and Patrick aren't too fond of that plan, so they attempt to escape the ship through the *gulp* perfume department. That doesn't work, so they hold the Dutchman's sock hostage, and in exchange for his footwear, he promises to grant three of their wishes. The first wish makes the episode a minute longer, and the second one brings Squidward back. The outcome of the third wish depends on the version of the episode you're watching, but I can assure you that they all end poorly for our heroes.

This episode managed to stay funny despite a bloated running time, and that's not easy to do for the show, hence the fact that there are only two specials on this list. Also, this was the first episode in which the Flying Dutchman played a main role, and he shined bright, both figuratively and literally,