• Advertisement

071a. Whale of a Birthday

Ron

Plot: Pearl wishes for the ultimate birthday party for her 16th birthday, giving her dad a list so that he doesn't screw up like he had for all of her prior birthday parties. He recruits Squidward to help him plan the party. Meanwhile, Spongebob follows Pearl to try and get her everything she wants, and ends up buying a truckload of gifts for her, including a performance of Boys Who Cry her (and Squidward)'s favorite band, which makes up for the horrible party Mr. Krabs and Squidward threw.

Great episode with plenty of laugh-out-loud moments. I really enjoyed the fact that this is one of those episodes that really removes Spongebob as the focal point and shows the relationships of others on the show, in this case, Mr. Krabs and Pearl. I also enjoyed the hues of Squidward we saw in this episode. They were minor parts, like him crafting the Pearl statue out of Krabby Patty meat and him declaring himself a fan of Boys Who Cry and then proceeding to perform one of their songs, but it added just little layers to the episode that I enjoyed. I think it was good mixup episode that had a cast of mainly Mr. Krabs, Pearl, and Spongebob, which I found to work very nicely.

10/10

What'd you think?

I really loved this episode a lot and I think this is the second best Pearl episode. Pearl didn't bother me much in this episode. Mr. Krabs was cheap again in this episode but he didn't bother me much too. His cheapness in this episode was funny. Squidward singing one of Boys Who Cry songs was very funny and It was the best part in this episode. Also SpongeBob buying everything that Pearl liked was funny too. It's another great season 4 episode and It's way better than It's partner, Karate Island. 10/10