• Advertisement

066. Dunces And Dragons

Young Nug

Squidly was terrible in this and I really hate this special. 2/10

Spoiler

Gawd, he was amazing in it.<333 Watching this episode all the way back in January of this year made me love Squidly and medieval times. He was always a great character along with this great episode. Maybe it is a little short, but I gotta give them points for a great scenery. The yellow skies are probably my favorite part. Seriously what is there else to say about it? It's one of my favorite specials and even though it felt a little short, it was quality. I also liked the Medieval Moments parody of Medieval Times. I've actually been to MT a few years ago, so it warms my heart. It's a great way to start an episode. The names for the characters were great, even Princess Pearl and King Krabs. PP and KK heh, plus a king crab is a real type of crab.

Overall 9.5/10

An underrated special. I actually thought this special was great. It's not one of the best episodes of this season but It's one of my favorite SpongeBob specials. It was very enjoyable and funny. I also liked Squidly character and I think he is way better than Squidward. I really liked his songs. It's not perfect as Have You Seen this Snail but It's still a great special and I recommend it. 9/10

One of the best specials of the series. Action-packed, humorous, and witty overall, this is what an actual special should be. A break from the norm. Which this certainly accomplishes. I'd rank this up with other well-known classics, such as Arrgh! and Survival of the Idiots. It is a shame very few people actually enjoy it. 5/5

• Like 1

On 5/16/2013 at 9:49 AM, georgesheardexpress9 said:

Hoooooo, boy. Where do I start? This has GOT to be one of the worst, if not THE worst episode ever to emerge from the series. Scratch that.... I'm not even sure HOW it emerged from the series at all.... I am actually questioning whether it emerged from the fiery depths of Hell. 

One of my main gripes with this episode is that Nickelodeon promoted it to no end back when it was about to be aired. They essentially promised us that it was going to be SpongeBob's greatest outing... that it was going to be a phenomenal thrillride of an episode. But what did we get? CRAP. Allow me to elaborate on why I loathe this episode with a passion.

First off, the animation seems incredibly rushed at times. The most prominent example of this by far is during the scene in which SpongeBob is preparing to "vanquish" Lord Planktonamor. Good Lord.... his... his MOUTH. It... it's just so HUGE. Also, I can't help but notice how tiny and minuscule his eyes are, and how they are placed so high upon his face. I even have a snapshot of the scene saved as my user avatar, so you can see it for yourself. Additionally, the scene makes him look like he has an underbite, which he does NOT -- he has an overbite. You'd think that grotesque underbite and large gap in his top incisors would warrant an extreme dental examination, but, oh... there are more animation errors, my friends. Right before that scene, SpongeBob yells (in his insanely high-pitched voice... thanks, Tom Kenny, for ruining the titular character's voice), "PREPAAARE TO BE VANQUISHED-UH!!" No, I'm not going to delve into how ridiculous his voice is now... no, I'll save that for later. The REAL issue here is that a frame is repeated during the final word of that line. That repeated frame just made the episode look even LESS polished, unprofessional and lazy. Jesus Christ, had the animators even THOUGHT about double-checking?

Now, I approach the issue I briefly touched upon in my last point -- SpongeBob's new voice. I honestly cannot stand how it is now. Why, why, why, why, WHY did Tom Kenny even PITCH the idea of changing the titular character's voice, when it was PERFECTLY FINE before the Movie? Did his colleagues not notice how radically he altered SpongeBob's voice? It is simply intolerable at times, and Kenny's "brilliance" in voicing the character is exemplified in THIS line (yep, you guessed it): "PREPAAARE TO BE VANQUISHED-UH!!" To put the icing on the cake, Nickelodeon UK have inflicted the dreaded PAL speedup upon this episode, which means that EVERY SINGLE CHARACTER'S VOICE is noticeably higher-pitched in comparison to their voices in the United States broadcast. This also means that musical tracks are higher-pitched, too. And, most aggravating of all, the PAL speedup serves to ACCENTUATE SpongeBob's already higher-pitched voice -- as if it wasn't different enough from his Seasons 1-3 voice already! I wish Nick UK would just revert back to their old NTSC-to-PAL conversion method for episodes. After all, their old conversion method (which was used for episodes in Seasons 1-3, including Season Four's The Lost Mattress, Krabs Vs Plankton, Selling Out, Funny Pants, Enemy In-Law and Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy VI: The Motion Picture) did not alter the speed or the pitch of the episodes... in fact, it made them virtually identical to their United States counterparts!! So, this begs the question "WHY DID THEY DECIDE TO CHANGE IT???" Honestly, the current writers, Tom Kenny and Nick UK have all made completely unnecessary changes to the show. 

Now, I approach my next gripe with this episode: the humour... or should I say 'lack of it'? Seriously, this episode did not make me laugh or even chuckle ONCE. In fact, I don't think there were any jokes included within the episode at all. What happened? Where has the inspired, adult humour from Seasons 1-3 gone? You can all "thank" the new writers for this, folks. They really butchered the series. I think I will end my point there.

Finally, we have the setting. The premise of a medieval theme has been done to death before.... have these writers got ANY scrap of originality? Ugh... I think that pretty much says it all.

I think I have rambled on for long enough. In conclusion, an ABYSMAL episode. I rate it a 1/10.

Just when I thought reviewing can't get any better than Lumoshi I find this masterpiece of a review.

• God Himself 1

12 minutes ago, Depressed Luigi said:

Just when I thought reviewing can't get any better than Lumoshi I find this masterpiece of a review.

Welp, now you've got new material to add in the "Oddest Opinions" thread.

• God Himself 1

Have I REALLY not written a review for this episode YET?! o.o That's what I call REALLY dropping the ball! :rolleyes: In any case, this was a really good special, not just for season 4, but for seasons 4 though Nine A in general. Not only did Spongebob and Patrick get to go back in time, they got to meet Middle Ages versions (ancestors), of Squidward, Mr. Krabs, Pearl, Sandy, Plankton, and Karen! :D Not only that, but Spongebob and Patrick actually got to have a rare distinction, of being characters who ACTUALLY saved HISTORY! :cool: Not many characters have a chance to say that! I'd give it a perfect 10/10! Enough said! ;)

14 hours ago, Depressed Luigi said:

I love how he says adult humor is gone despite there being a suicide joke within the first minute.

• Like 1
  • God Himself 3