• Advertisement

066. Dunces And Dragons

Young Nug

Surprisingly, I didn't see a topic on this already. So, yeah. Spongebob and Patrick go back to Bikini Bottom back in the middle ages after a jousting accident. There's medieval versions of Plankton, Squidward, Pearl, and Mr. Krabs and Sandy, too. Spongebob, Patrick and Squidley have to stop Planktonimor from destroying Pearl and the entirety of Bikini BottomShire.

It was a pretty good episode, and one of the best Post Movie specials. Everything seemed to work, and most of the jokes were executed well. The songs that Squidley sang were hilarious, and the action was coreographed pretty well. The animation was great too. 9.5/10.

What did you guys think?

I agree with Clappy. I found it be bland; Spongebob usually has a sort of buoyancy to the show, and then there are some episodes without that vibe to it. This is one of those episodes that just sort of dragged on at points. I don't know how to explain it, some episodes just don't have that "wow" factor. :P

I'd give it a 6/10. It wasn't bad, it wasn't good, it was just sort of... meh.

I love this episode! One of my favorite parts of this episode (and maybe even the whole series) is when the guy in the entrance put the spear up to his neck and said, "Huh... Someday, but not today." Heh, classic...

8.5/10

Usually don't care about stuff like this but:

First off, the animation seems incredibly rushed at times. The most prominent example of this by far is during the scene in which SpongeBob is preparing to "vanquish" Lord Planktonamor. Good Lord.... his... his MOUTH. It... it's just so HUGE. Also, I can't help but notice how tiny and minuscule his eyes are, and how they are placed so high upon his face. I even have a snapshot of the scene saved as my user avatar, so you can see it for yourself. Additionally, the scene makes him look like he has an underbite, which he does NOT -- he has an overbite. You'd think that grotesque underbite and large gap in his top incisors would warrant an extreme dental examination, but, oh... there are more animation errors, my friends. Right before that scene, SpongeBob yells (in his insanely high-pitched voice... thanks, Tom Kenny, for ruining the titular character's voice), "PREPAAARE TO BE VANQUISHED-UH!!" No, I'm not going to delve into how ridiculous his voice is now... no, I'll save that for later. The REAL issue here is that a frame is repeated during the final word of that line. That repeated frame just made the episode look even LESS polished, unprofessional and lazy. Jesus Christ, had the animators even THOUGHT about double-checking?

mqdefault.jpg

tumblr_mf236j7OoC1qjnq3i.jpg

3730623249_9df63e8ac7_z.jpg

There's a difference between an animation goof and an attempt at going off model. The frame thing does sound like an animation error, but your avatar isn't an animation goof. That face is just like the faces above- An attempt to go off model. I'm pretty sure they drew SpongeBob like that to go off-model because Season 4 is absolutely FULL of off-model stuff.

Just felt like pointing that out.

• Like 2

Usually don't care about stuff like this but:

mqdefault.jpg

tumblr_mf236j7OoC1qjnq3i.jpg

3730623249_9df63e8ac7_z.jpg

There's a difference between an animation goof and an attempt at going off model. The frame thing does sound like an animation error, but your avatar isn't an animation goof. That face is just like the faces above- An attempt to go off model. I'm pretty sure they drew SpongeBob like that to go off-model because Season 4 is absolutely FULL of off-model stuff.

Just felt like pointing that out.

I suppose you're right. But watching the scene back, it seems as if something else is "off" besides the animation. It MIGHT be that the length of SpongeBob's 'YAAAAWAAH!!' is incompatible with the length of the animated sequence. What I mean by that is SpongeBob's mouth is still open when the line is finished... it's as if the scream was originally intended to be longer. Again, this is just a rough idea after watching it back once more, but I'm fairly certain that is quite accurate. 

Regarding Squidly... I have to admit, he was an... interesting character :P

I actually like the idea about an episode set in the medieval, but they waste this episode with bad plot instead, they waste a perfectly good plot. Squidly is an interesting character though.

4.5/10

Squidly wub.png

He made this episode. He had all the best parts, but that doesn't mean the other characters weren't good as well. I can see why some people hate this episode, though. It's my 2nd favorite season 4 episode.

• Like 1