1. 1. What Would You Like To See?

• More MermaidMan and BarnacleBoy
    • More Karate
    • More Jellyfishing
    • Less Krusty Krab
    • Less Plankton
    • More Goo Lagoon
    • More Boating School

Krusty Krab and Plankton episodes have become overused lately. I'd gladly take 6 episodes about Jellyfish Fields or Goo Lagoon over any six Plankton episodes we got this season (except Plankton's Good Eye, that was great). Episodes about Mr. Krabs and Plankton are getting a little stale, IMO. How many jokes about Krabs being cheap/money obsessed, or jokes about Plankton failing can you possibly do?

Krusty Krab and Plankton episodes have become overused lately. I'd gladly take 6 episodes about Jellyfish Fields or Goo Lagoon over any six Plankton episodes we got this season (except Plankton's Good Eye, that was great). Episodes about Mr. Krabs and Plankton are getting a little stale, IMO. How many jokes about Krabs being cheap/money obsessed, or jokes about Plankton failing can you possibly do?

I think Mr. Krabs being cheap is a gag that has gotten stale in certain areas. For example, I've seen on several occurrences him freaking about something being free, overtime, paying his employees, et cetera. I think if they were to make them more clever, it'd be hilarious. Some examples of this:

Whale of a Birthday, Season 4

SpongeBob: "What're we gonna get her, Mr. Krabs?"

Mr. Krabs: "I wanted to get her nothing, but apparently she's too good for that!"

The Krabby Patty That Ate Bikini Bottom, Season 8

Mr. Krabs: *stops SpongeBob and Squidward from running* "HOLD IT! And just what is it do you think you two are doing?"

Squidward: "The restaurant's being invaded by a 300 foot, uncooked menu item! WE'RE GETTING OUT OF HERE!"

Mr. Krabs: "Haha, this is a dream come true! You can't just leave."

Squidward: "Do you have a better idea?!"

Mr. Krabs: "Stay... and work..."

I love those two scenes because he's so sincere in both of them. If we had more of these kinds of jokes, I wouldn't mind seeing Mr. Krabs and his cheapness.

I think the problem with Mr. Krabs as a character lately, is that before, he was simply a greedy Krab that was cheap. The majority of his jokes centered on him being cheap. However, Post-Movie, a lot of jokes focus on Mr. Krabs being obsessed with money, rather than him just being cheap and greedy. Compare the joke you posted from Whale Of A Birthday to this:

Plankton's Good Eye: Season 8

Mr. K: I gotta put me money in the safe.

Spongebob: Oh, you mean your obsession.

Mr. K: It's not an obsession.

*Mr. Krabs tucks money into a little bed he made in the safe, tells it a bedtime story*

I laughed at that, but the "Mr. Krabs is a cheap jerk" jokes are funnier than "Mr. Krabs is a money obsessed freak. Penny Foolish took this to new levels of extreme. That's probably the nadir of his characterization. He's greedy, but not that greedy. I much prefer cheap Krabs.

Squidward: You hardly pay us at all.

Seriously, though, I want them to subvert normal formula more. These are the basic plots we get for episodes:

-Spongebob creates/manages to solve chaos at the Krusty Krab

-Spongebob and maybe Patrick annoy Squidward

-Spongebob goes to X place with X character, maybe meets new characters, hilarity ensues.

-The occasional Gary/Sandy episode-Gary gets neglected-SB and Pat screw something up; Sandy has to fix it

-Plankton tries to steal the formula; fails, due to Krabs

-All the characters get together to do something (Home Sweet Rubble)

-Boating School plots

There are also those episodes that don't really fit any of those, like Spongebob's Last Stand. However, Post Season 5, these plots have been subverted. Restraining Spongebob combined the "Spongebob and Patrick annoy Squidward" plot with the Krusty Krab episode plot. Refreshing. Boating Buddies combined the SB annoys Squidward plot with a Boating School Plot. Krabs A La Mode combined a Plankton and Krusty Krab episode perfectly into one. Then there are just total subversions, like in "The Other Patty" where the "Plankton steals the formula" plot was totally anihilated and turned into "Krabs and Plankton work together".

That's something else I want in Season 9; more plot combos and subversions. That will keep the show fresh for sure.

Personally, I'd like things that are a lot more complicated. I came up with two episode ideas that I would absolutely love to see. They go as follow:

Dinner Party: Squidward's parents return and force him to hold a dinner party with them and his friends. Frantic, he gathers together everybody and... well, it writes itself.

Comedic Opportunities: The whole thing is a joke. I mean, the setup holds so much. We can take a look into Squidward's dysfunctional relationship with his parents (many jokes there), Patrick and SpongeBob run off and try to fix Squidward's house (several more jokes), small talk between Mr. Krabs and Sandy (more jokes), and then they play games. Perhaps charades (I can think of so many things). Maybe they tour Squidward's house and his parents ridicule his living style. There is just so much that could happen in this episode.

The Election: The Oceanic Election rolls around and Mr. Krabs takes his Krusty Krew to the Capital to meet the president-elect. They uncover a scandal and don't know what to do.

Comedic Opportunities: Real-life jabs at politicians, scandals, a flight to the capital with SpongeBob, Squidward, and Mr. Krabs! First of all, the political references and jabs would be gold, and I can think of so many ways a scandal would work, and not to mention a flight where Squidward, Mr. Krabs, and SPONGEBOB sit together on a tiny little plane. Gah, I wish this was real.

Deposing Krabs: When Mr. Krabs is sued, SpongeBob and Patrick must give evidence. How can you lose with two idiots testifying? :D

Comedic Opportunities: Patrick and SpongeBob attempting to answer questions. Gold right there.

You've got some good ideas there, tvguy. Deposing Krabs sounds a little too similar to Krabs vs. Plankton, though...

Eh. I was thinking "Deposing Krabs" would focus far more on the actual trial, and be more legalized than Krabs vs. Plankton. It also would BE a deposition, not inside a courthouse, but a nice room in a skyscraper. Rather than focusing on what's inside the briefcase, comedic aspects could include SpongeBob and Patrick's testimonies, the lawyers, Mr. Krabs, et cetera.

So yeah. :P

I think Extreme Spots was a baby step in the right direction, regarding Beach Episodes. The entire episode did take place at Sand Mountain, which was implied to be a beach-like place. I still do want an episode in the "Life In A Day", "Sun Bleached", and "Big One" vein, however.

So, I'm confused:

Season 8 did end, correct? Or are those other episodes a part of Season 8?

Season 8 isn't over yet. We still have a few more episodes to go (the Christmas episode, Move It Or Lose It, The Good Krabby Name, and there are still 2 unknown eps left), but the episodes Extreme Spots and Squirrel Record are in fact from Season 9 because the production code for them is 179, and Season 8 was only ordered for episodes up to 178. Demolition Doofus and Face Freeze are a part of Season 8. Hope this helped.

• Like 1

Seriously, this show has the most confusing timeline of all time.

I know. >.> I really wish they'd start airing on a weekly basis and take to a regular pattern. I'm not a fan of one season melding into the next.