• Advertisement

Gravity Falls

Steel Sponge

I'm still surprised Disney actually let Hirsch end the show. It's their most popular show currently airing. It would be like if Nick ended SpongeBob, which won't happen unless they get new managment. Not saying this is a bad thing btw, it just rarely happens, especially in terms of kid's tv.

Guest hilaryfan80

Honest opinion after binge watching the show. I'm not entirely sure if I like the show as much as the rest of SBC. I mean, I like the show, but honestly I'm a huge sucker for strong plot lines, and Gravity Falls has a lot of filler episodes. Combine with the fact that the show is only two seasons long, and you have a show that's mostly filler. I was actually kind of disappointed in regards to the plot because of the amount of filler. I get it, it's a kids show, and call me Dipper for taking this stance, but I would have loved to see more mysteries solved throughout the show's entirety than seeing random little mischief that they get into.

The biggest problem I have with the plot is that Gravity Falls can't seem to make up its mind as to what they're fighting against: are they fighting against Bill Cipher, or are they fighting against the weirdness of Gravity Falls? The episodes seem to confuse the main antagonist of the show quite a lot. You can't argue that Bill Cipher is part of the weirdness of Gravity Falls because he wants to take over the entire world, not just Gravity Falls. You have episodes like "Tourist Trapped" and "Scary-oke" where Dipper consults his journal to defeat the creature that Gravity Falls has inflicted upon them, and then you have episodes like "Dreamscaperers" and the series finale where they are trying to defeat Bill Cipher. It's almost like the show producers can't make up their mind as to what Dipper and Mabel's purpose is in Gravity Falls - are they trying to fight off creatures that come about in Gravity Falls, or are they trying to defeat Bill Cipher and save the world? This is a huge flaw that I couldn't ignore while I was watching the show. I was constantly on the seat wondering when Bill Cipher would come back into the picture, but he was casted away for quite some time after the season one finale.

I do have to commend the show's ability to use foreshadow. Stanford was very well foreshadowed in season one, where many clues were dropped as to his reveal in season two.

Overall, I did like the show, but it's definitely not my favorite show because of the conflicting plot line. I understand it's a kids show, but I feel like they could have focused on one plot line and still had a great show. Arguably, I would have chosen the Bill Cipher plot instead of the Gravity Falls plot; at least with the Bill Cipher plot the show would be unique (Scooby Doo anyone?).

4 minutes ago, Mr. Dr. Professor Patrick said:

Honest opinion after binge watching the show. I'm not entirely sure if I like the show as much as the rest of SBC. I mean, I like the show, but honestly I'm a huge sucker for strong plot lines, and Gravity Falls has a lot of filler episodes. Combine with the fact that the show is only two seasons long, and you have a show that's mostly filler. I was actually kind of disappointed in regards to the plot because of the amount of filler. I get it, it's a kids show, and call me Dipper for taking this stance, but I would have loved to see more mysteries solved throughout the show's entirety than seeing random little mischief that they get into.

The biggest problem I have with the plot is that Gravity Falls can't seem to make up its mind as to what they're fighting against: are they fighting against Bill Cipher, or are they fighting against the weirdness of Gravity Falls? The episodes seem to confuse the main antagonist of the show quite a lot. You can't argue that Bill Cipher is part of the weirdness of Gravity Falls because he wants to take over the entire world, not just Gravity Falls. You have episodes like "Tourist Trapped" and "Scary-oke" where Dipper consults his journal to defeat the creature that Gravity Falls has inflicted upon them, and then you have episodes like "Dreamscaperers" and the series finale where they are trying to defeat Bill Cipher. It's almost like the show producers can't make up their mind as to what Dipper and Mabel's purpose is in Gravity Falls - are they trying to fight off creatures that come about in Gravity Falls, or are they trying to defeat Bill Cipher and save the world? This is a huge flaw that I couldn't ignore while I was watching the show. I was constantly on the seat wondering when Bill Cipher would come back into the picture, but he was casted away for quite some time after the season one finale.

I do have to commend the show's ability to use foreshadow. Stanford was very well foreshadowed in season one, where many clues were dropped as to his reveal in season two.

Overall, I did like the show, but it's definitely not my favorite show because of the conflicting plot line. I understand it's a kids show, but I feel like they could have focused on one plot line and still had a great show. Arguably, I would have chosen the Bill Cipher plot instead of the Gravity Falls plot; at least with the Bill Cipher plot the show would be unique (Scooby Doo anyone?).

Tbh I think filler stuff is there to bring comedy imo and theybare there to spend a bit more time with the characters, even bring new twist to them like how they did with Soos in Blendin's Game. Filler stuff are mostly in season 1 imo, while most of season 2 has been pretty focusing on the mystery of the author, Dipper and Mabel's relationship and Bill. I could have done without a few episodes like Roadside Attraction but they still make me laugh, they were pretty disturbing and interesting. I can see where you coming from but this show isn't just about the mystery imo. I also watch this show to get laughs, get heartwarmed and all that stuff. So yeah, I'm fine with filler episodes.

Guest hilaryfan80

Since I was having an argument in the Xat, I figured that I might post my stance here and maybe somebody can answer some questions. I have enclosed this in a spoiler. If you are not caught up in the show, do not read!

Spoiler

My big deal with the show is that Dipper's big obsession in season 1 is solving the mysteries of Gravity Falls, yet the only thing we know about the town is that the Northwests didn't make the town (the 8.5th president did) and a UFO came for an unknown reason (confirmed when Stanford says that he doesn't know if the UFO was attracted to Gravity Falls or if the UFO accidentally landed there). The Weirdmageddon arc focuses exclusively on Bill Cipher, a demon who crossed into our world who wishes to turn our world into his playhouse, and how he creates an apocalypse in Gravity Falls (forced by a shield that will be revealed in the finale). As I've said before, Bill Cipher does not add anything interesting to the mysteries of the town. The only thing that Bill adds is that he aided Stanford in making the three journals and the portal, but nothing else. In fact, Bill has been around the world, as evidence in season 1 when it was revealed that he's been in Egypt, Ancient Rome, etc. There's nothing special about Bill and Gravity Falls as far as we know, in other words. The only reason why he is in Gravity Falls now is because people keep summoning him (Gideon's summoning, and when Stanley opened the portal and caused a rift).

If that is the case, then why is Bill's plot with the apocalypse the main finale of the show? We have the show surrounding the mysteries of Gravity Falls, where Dipper and Mabel go out and find clues, and then we have the big reveal that Stanford made the journals. Since the mystery is already "solved" for the most part (Dipper already knows who wrote the journals), what is the point of Bill causing an apocalypse and how does that attribute to the overall mystery of Gravity Falls? Why not focus on how the town became weird? Perhaps an adventure to figure out the biggest mystery of why Gravity Falls is a weird place? Bill has no direct connections to the mystery of Gravity Falls, so how is this apocalypse going to solve anything or resolve the initial mysteries of the show?

I don't think Bill's apocalypse will directly answer these questions. My prediction is that this apocalypse, in some way, will bring the characters towards a new revelation about the town. Perhaps push the characters in the right direction towards truly figuring about Gravity Falls. The finale is an hour long, so anything could happen. Maybe Bill had something to do with the UFO, or perhaps he's been planning to inhabit Gravity Falls all this time and this is a giant scheme. Or even worse: Bill made the town weird on purpose before the apocalypse. Who knows.

And for heavens sakes, do not dismiss me because I just binge watched the show. That's extremely immature. I'm trying to make a decent argument here, and while it's ok to disagree, it's not ok to dismiss anyone because you disagree.

On 1/12/2016 at 2:53 PM, Mr. Dr. Professor Patrick said:

Okay, I have a couple of things to say about this.

I think it's best to understand the context of the series. Gravity Falls was based around the creator's childhood. At its core, the series is about growing up. How the show itself handles it, is an different discussion altogether (let's have that one when the finale premieres). But I think you're too reliant on the plot rather than the message. And I don't blame you; it's so overhyped, yet for all the wrong reasons. And knowing how much of a glamorous otaku you are, it's reasonable for you to be underwhelmed. But really, the main point of the series is not demons, or aliens, or lore. It's about family values. The overarching continuity isn't exactly useless, but it's only there to serve Hirsch's nostalgic musings (his main inspiration was Twin Peaks, after all). Therefore, I think if you do not like the characters or the setting, it's futile to continue watching only for the story. And unfortunately, that situation is far too common. Just wanted to get this out there.

I will say this though: I think the plot's direction is a natural extension of the original mystery, as Ford's disappearance is directly tied to Bill Cipher. The pacing may have been a little botched (due to production issues which, again, is something I'll cover once the finale properly airs), but it still makes logical sense. In my opinion. If they had gone the direction of finding out why Gravity Falls is weird, I think it would have distracted too much from the twins' character development, and the show's theme in general.

• Like 3

Guest hilaryfan80
12 minutes ago, PatBack™ said:

Okay, I have a couple of things to say about this.

I think it's best to understand the context of the series. Gravity Falls was based around the creator's childhood. At its core, the series is about growing up. How the show itself handles it, is an different discussion altogether (let's have that one when the finale premieres). But I think you're too reliant on the plot rather than the message. And I don't blame you; it's so overhyped, yet for all the wrong reasons. And knowing how much of a glamorous otaku you are, it's reasonable for you to be underwhelmed. But really, the main point of the series is not demons, or aliens, or lore. It's about family values. The overarching continuity isn't exactly useless, but it's only there to serve Hirsch's nostalgic musings (his main inspiration was Twin Peaks, after all). Therefore, I think if you do not like the characters or the setting, it's futile to continue watching only for the story. And unfortunately, that situation is far too common. Just wanted to get this out there.

I will say this though: I think the plot's direction is a natural extension of the original mystery, as Ford's disappearance is directly tied to Bill Cipher. The pacing may have been a little botched (due to production issues which, again, is something I'll cover once the finale properly airs), but it still makes logical sense. In my opinion. If they had gone the direction of finding out why Gravity Falls is weird, I think it would have distracted too much from the twins' character development, and the show's theme in general.

I'm actually the worst otaku ever. I've only seen a handful of anime, and I don't play video games. I wouldn't even remotely classify myself as an otaku.

I don't think it would have ruined the show necessarily to go after the mystery of the town's weirdness. The show started out with Dipper's obsession with the town's mysteries and Mabel's obsession with boys. That's how it originally began. However, your claim is that the show's true treasure is the character development......

Unfortunately, I know this far too well, and I think I know the reasoning behind why I don't like the show as much as everyone else. I'm pretty sure it's because I'm older than everyone else - let me qualify that statement before you argue against it. I took a class on Young Adult Literature about a year ago, and the class was all about how to effectively use YA literature in an English classroom. While we were reading YA novels (e.g. The Fifth Wave), the biggest complaint that was made by my fellow colleagues was that the plots weren't very well done. Just like your claim with Gravity Falls, it was all about character development and being completely relatable with the characters. In fact, what makes YA literature so different than adult literature is that the adult literature heavily uses plot and foreshadowing to make a story as well as character development, whereas YA literature focuses specifically on character development. In fact, take a note at my opinion of The Fifth Wave film's upcoming release a month ago:

On December 3, 2015 at 8:28 PM, Mr. Dr. Professor Patrick said:

What on earth. This is going to be really bad. Honestly, the book wasn't even that great to begin with, and it ended with a cliffhanger for another book. This movie won't be any better.

Yet, The Fifth Wave was consistently a best selling book with teenagers, and there are people who are hyped to see this movie. My best guess is that the reason why I don't like Gravity Falls as much as everyone else is because I'm used to watching adult shows and reading adult novels where plots are a big deal and full immersion into the show is necessary to get the finer details. Since Gravity Falls isn't plot-intensive, I guess I just don't like the show nearly as much as everyone else. I did appreciate some aspects of the show (I noted the foreshadowing as the most impressive part earlier), but perhaps the show is just not my cup of tea. Maybe Hirsch's next show on Fox will be more my thing.

9 minutes ago, Mr. Dr. Professor Patrick said:

I'm actually the worst otaku ever. I've only seen a handful of anime, and I don't play video games. I wouldn't even remotely classify myself as an otaku.

I don't think it would have ruined the show necessarily to go after the mystery of the town's weirdness. The show started out with Dipper's obsession with the town's mysteries and Mabel's obsession with boys. That's how it originally began. However, your claim is that the show's true treasure is the character development......

Unfortunately, I know this far too well, and I think I know the reasoning behind why I don't like the show as much as everyone else. I'm pretty sure it's because I'm older than everyone else - let me qualify that statement before you argue against it. I took a class on Young Adult Literature about a year ago, and the class was all about how to effectively use YA literature in an English classroom. While we were reading YA novels (e.g. The Fifth Wave), the biggest complaint that was made by my fellow colleagues was that the plots weren't very well done. Just like your claim with Gravity Falls, it was all about character development and being completely relatable with the characters. In fact, what makes YA literature so different than adult literature is that the adult literature heavily uses plot and foreshadowing to make a story as well as character development, whereas YA literature focuses specifically on character development. In fact, take a note at my opinion of The Fifth Wave film's upcoming release a month ago.

See, now this is what I was having in mind. Me? I fucking hate YA novels, for the exact reason as you. But the difference between those and this show is, in my eyes, that Gravity Falls is fun. It has charm, it has likable characters, the humor might be hit-or-miss at times but overall you can find yourself actually giving a damn about these protagonists. Yes, it might share some similarities with YA fiction (such as having the plot as the backdrop), but the difference between it and your average corporate-made novel is that you can clearly tell this show comes from the real place. Hirsch's childhood, and his relationship with his sister. So I can respect your opinion, in fact I understand it perfectly well. 

Although you might be becoming too old for this forum.

:P 
  • Like 2