• Advertisement

169. Are You Happy Now? / Planet of the Jellyfish

Jjs Goodman

Rating?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Rating?

• 5/5 Stars: This is the Greatest Episode that ever lived!!
    • 4/5 Stars: Chum is Metabolic Fuel!
    • 3/5 Stars: It seems we have reached an impasse.
    • 2/5 Stars: Boo.
    • 1/5 Stars: DUEGH! HORRIBLE!

As for the review, Planet of the Jellyfish was awesome. A nice homage/parody to those cheesy 60's science fiction films, and it has tons of fun with the concept.

Are You Happy Now? was mediocre. Not funny, but unlike One Coarse Meal, the themes of depression are played for drama rather than laughs, which gives it an edge over most Season 8 episodes. It draaags, though, which is why it isn't that good. At worst, I can only call it meh.

Why is everyone so offended by the 'suicide' scenes?

No suicide attempt ever happened in this episode so I don't see why people are calling this "One Course Meal 2.0" or "Squidward's Suicide 2.0".

Really tho, the biggest problem this episode have is that it's too depressing.

Edited by Patrick's Pet Rock

I'll be honest. At first, Are You Happy Now never really bothered me at first. I mean, it sorta did but not at the point where it'd become an episode worthy of being in my Bottom 10 (or Bottom 5, if I'm being less generous).

That all changes now. This is literally one of the worst episodes of the entire series. Maybe it was time that kinda soured my thoughts on this episode. Back when it aired, I simply wasn't feeling depressed enough to really loathe this episode as much. But ever since 2015, my seizure problems came back, got constantly worse over the years, and I couldn't even get up safe in the morning or function at night without worrying about getting another seizure that could also be the one that kills me. And knowing the fact that those problems prevent me from getting my driver's license until after 6 months along with the fact that I have to stay with my loud mouth, conservative parents really makes me extra depressed.

But I'll elaborate on that for another topic. Point is, my real life depression has made me hate this episode overtime. And just because the implications that Squidward was gonna commit suicide when it's actually something else was meant to be a joke doesn't make it funny. If anything, they're just plain morbid. Oh and the ending where Squidward chainsaws all of the fake SpongeBobs and gets enjoyment from it? Yeah, that's what I love to see: The most relatable and best character acting like a sadistic maniac. And to think that I actually enjoyed that ending back then.

And yet, besides all of those issues, I think the biggest one is the episode itself. Who would want to watch an episode about depression from a show like SpongeBob? It'd be like making an episode about rape or homicide (not like any Nick cartoon would tackle those two subjects, but I digress). SpongeBob is just not a down-to-earth show to tackle these kinds of subjects. It's a silly show based around silly plots with little to no continuity. I've had spiels towards plenty of recent episodes. Pat the Horse is pointless. The Nitwitting is horrendously stupid. Ink Lemonade is disgusting. But at the very least, I can say that those are problems I'd expect from SpongeBob. This episode just........broke me. Next time we do a Worst Episodes countdown, this will no doubt be in my Bottom 5 and probably dethrone Stuck in the Wringer as the absolute worst episode of the series.

Are You Happy Now? (which i’m not atm): 

Oh....god....THIS...is just.....I can’t even believe this was put into a show like SpongeBob....Not only is it the worst S8 episode but its perhaps my least favorite episode of the ENTIRE show..seeing Squidward put through this state of sadness is not comfortable, funny, amusing and at all.....its painful and depressing for all the wrong reasons. The beginning is nothing but unfunny slapsticks of Squidward getting hurt for the sake of cartoon comedy which truly frustrates me, all he wants is a happy memory but nope...we get stuff like A BOW LAUNCHING IN HIS EYE or his sculpture (which doesn’t even look bad at all) getting burned in a museum. How is this funny? like good gosh....Also don’t get me started on the entire middle scenes with stuff like SQUIDWARD STICKING HIS HEAD IN THE OVEN or What looks like Squidward is outright about to HANG HIMSELF...I just....were these suppose to be jokes? Because I can’t see how this is funny at all. I was seriously disturbed when watching this on rewatch. Oh and SpongeBob as he is just here for “HAHA SB IS TOO OBLIVIOUS, ISN'T THAT FUNNY” which completely bothers me. I do not understand how they thought his wacky behavior would help Squidward out...its just rather really annoying and unbearable to watch. BUT the #1 main reason why I also despise this episode is because THAT ENDING......THIS....THIS....THIS....so you’re telling me Squidward was depressed for two weeks straight and then has the nerve to say “I don’t want a happiest memory” LIKE MAKE UP YOUR MIND...somehow this isn’t as bad as what comes next....its also the fact that he went outright insane and ripped a bunch of SB maches and apparently THAT’S HIS HAPPIEST MEMORY.....What could I even say.....Not to mention that last epic quote of “He’s so handsome”...like bruh...this ending is literally one of the worst things i’ve ever seen in SB. This episode is sick....disgusting, truly unfunny, painful and outright insulting. At this point, it easily lands as my #1 worst episode of the whole show because no SB episode had make me feel this legit uncomfortable and disgusted in every way possible.

Ranking: F— (?/10): Worst Episode of the Entire Series

Planet of the Jellyfish:

After the horrendous dumpster fire that was AYHN...we actually get a really interesting and fun episode. POTJ is one of my favorites of S8 and unlike most of the season. This one actually has an interesting plot going with it. I love the jellien leader and his zombie-like replicated monster designs, as well as the eerie creepiness of these creatures. While not a truly funny episode. It still has fairly great comedy moments such as HOLD THE MAYONAISE!, Sandy tickling SpongeBob scene, SpongeBob’s Spatula for some reason being captured in ice (I mean how is that even possible ?) and especially that 11 minutes time card gag. Many S8 episodes are either so bland or so badly written that they’re just not worth coming back to in anyway,  but this episode is one of the exceptions. Fun plot, awesome story, great comedy and an epic monster concept. Overall one of the best episodes in Season 8. 

Ranking: B+ (8.5/10)

• Like 1