• Advertisement

087b. Breath of Fresh Squidward

person

discuss this episode here. i loved it. one of my favorite post movie episodes. felt classic and fresh. just what this show needs. i loved the idea and concept of squidward turning into a friendly, happy guy. i loved how he was being helpful, hygenic,and all that other stuff i can't remember(lol)with spongebob. and then when spongebob kicked him out of patrick's house for pogoing with him. oh but my most favorite part of all was at the very end when squidward returned back to normal but then spongebob and patrick turned into squidward's original personality too and when squidward said "spongebob patrick what are you doing?" and then they're like "ya what's the big idea?" and starting arguing in the EXACT SAME WAY BECAUSE THEY ALL HAD THE SAME PERSONALITIES and squidward DIDN'T EVEN REALIZE THAT SPONGEBOB AND PATRICK HAD CHANGED INTO HIM. so the arguing was pointless. that ending was lulz. and an awesome cliffhanger.

I actually didn't like this segment at first, because it felt like this segment made the whole "Spongebob Squarepants" series feel like it was "Jumping the Shark" (google the term if you're not familiar with it.) Than I saw the segment "Boating Buddies," and in comparison, this episode is freaking sweet! :D / My old score: 4/10. My new score: 7/10.

Breath_of_Fresh_Squidward.jpg

====== Breath Of Fresh Squidward ======

Rating - ★★★

Writers - Nate Cash, Tuck Tucker, Richard Pursel

Production Code - 87b

Season 5

=====================================

Well.. this is an interesting one. At this point, honestly, a "SpongeBob, Patrick & Squidward" episode isn't foreign. They're essentially "the Three Stooges of SpongeBob". Or more like "The Two Stooges And The Guy Who Is Tortured". Take your pick. And, now, that I look at the writers.. Richard Pursel NOT writing something incredibly disgusting? Amazing. I guess when he wrote/*storyboarded?* Fungus Among Us, he was in a bad mood...(?) Looking at the SB Wiki provides the information that only Nate & Tuck storyboarded this episode. I should be darned lucky..

Onto the episode! Looking at it now, this.. title kind of peeves me. "Breath OF Fresh Squidward"? Why just "OF"? It kind of rustles my rims and doesn't get across to me well. At all. If this title ever comes near my family, I shall defend them with all my "OF" hating heart.. But.. oh well. After getting our typical episode credits, we open to.. Squidward sleeping! With.. SpongeBob & Patrick in the background complaining about dip? My God, how the conch shell did they get in the house? Does Squidward not lock his doors at night? And why doesn't he.. call the police? Is housebreaking in Bikini Bottom legal? You'd think the two devils would be arrested by now, but I digress. Squidward wakes up from all the mumbo jumbo and proceeds to begin his daily rant about how SpongeBob and Patrick should LEAVE HIM ALONE. Why are SpongeBob and Patrick in the home? Their excuse is that they're watching the sun rise.. with Squidward? Isn't he... asleep? I don't want to think about it..

It's storytime, as well, at Squidward's tiki, and Bob explains that "whenever Squidward sees us, the storm clouds in his brain roll in and a nasty storm rages. So, Squidward's happy gland is forced to take shelter in the recesses of his mind. But the happy gland can't find a recess deep enough, so he gets the flu and has to stay in bed until we leave!" Of course... this is a plot device! Yay. Eventually, the sun actually rises, and Squidward kicks Sponge & Pat out. I wonder why he didn't do it earlier? :S

===========================================================

Later, SpongeBob & Patrick barge in again while Squidward is putting up a security fence. I guess Squidward.. is free from city laws or something? Did he check in with the city about this? I hope so. I'm personally surprised the episode's ending wasn't Squidward getting arrested because of the fence. Weird. Anyway, Squidward decides to kick out Sponge & Pat with.. swaaaaaaaaaggg, I guess. He launches them out with a catapult (and they bounce back in like a pinball). One simile later, Squidward gets furious and directs them to GET OUT~! Doing so, however, he touches the fence and his brain becomes about as corrupted as SpongeBob. Yes, Squidward's.. a recycled SpongeBob now! And it shows. Squidward actually GOES out with SpongeBob & Patrick to the petting zoo and such and actually has an incredible day, even yelling out "Good night, Bikini Bottom! I love you!". It REALLY shows that thanks to mutation, Squidward is now the world's happiest man. SpongeBob & Patrick even notice something different.

The next day, Squidward wakes up with SpongeBob... wait. Now SQUIDWARD IS BREAKING INTO SPONGEBOB'S HOME? I'll suppose a Season 10 episode will involve a major burglary plot. Squidward shows by generosity by turning the paper, flossing SpongeBob's teeth.. I actually thought this stuff was "mean" when I was little. xD. I was a weird kid..

Anyway, this episode involving SpongeBob & Squidward, THE KRUSTY KRAB MUST APPEAR! SpongeBob.. is shown to be getting a little tired of Squidward's antics. So when Squidward wants to help SpongeBob with his work, SpongeBob.. gets a little annoyed. What leads me to believe this episode is noncanon is that SQUIDWARD CAN COOK. WHAT THE HECK. He burnt milkshakes, so now why can he cook delicious burgers within only 2 minutes? I suspect the work of Billy Mays and his Big City Slider Station..

big-city-slider.jpg

Moving on, after a heated discussion of EoTM, SpongeBob is literally SHOCKED when Squidward receives the status.. for putting dimples on a Krabby Patty. Practice makes perfect? SpongeBob gets depressed, while Patrick comes over and announces he's having a party at his house. Surprisingly, it's a success. Why.. does SpongeBob come to the party, though? If he's so depressed about Squidward getting EoTM, then why does.. he.. go to the party? Was he trying to have a party at Patrick's while trying to avoid another "Christmas party picture" incident? SpongeBob increasingly gets depressed.. BUT. The straw is BROKE. BROKE. when Patrick pogo-jumps with Squidward. SpongeBob literally THROWS A HISSY FIT and literally tells Squidward to GET OUT. What a fucking jerk. Sure, life isn't going your way, but you just had to kick a guy out because of it? Way to go SpongeBob. When people say the SpongeBob character went downhill Post-Movie, S5-S6, I can BELIEVE it. I love his optimism, but, this. This is over the top. Who wrote this particular scene, anyway? I demand to know. I'm looking at YOU, Richard Pursel!

5 seconds later, SpongeBob feels redemption and goes to apologize.to Squidward while he's being shocked again by the fence, effectively turning him back into the Squidward we all know and love. However, SpongeBob & Patrick also get turned into a Squidward persona, effectively ending the episode, huzzah!

==================================================================================

My thoughts of this episode were.. OK. The concept was interesting, Squidward being turned into SpongeBob actually sounded kind of.. good. It was executed decently, albeit SpongeBob being a jerk just.. kills the episode. Everything else was OK, but THAT ONE PART.. hurt the episode. bad.

3 Krabby Patty dimples out of 5. ★★★.

• Funny 1

I thought this was a really good episode. It was nice seeing Squidward act happy and cheery to the point that he annoyed SpongeBob, especially when he became Employee of the Month instead of SpongeBob.

Edited by jjsthekid

This episode was actually a good episode for season 5 and It was an improvement over the previous episode. I like this episode but I don't love it. The idea of SpongeBob and Squidward swtiching places is good in my opinion, although I think SpongeBob and Squidward swtiching places was better in Can You Spare a Dime but there is a diffirent between CYSAD and this episode. Sure, in CYSAD SpongeBob and Squidward switch places but Squidward acts like a spoiled brat more than SpongeBob and in this episode, Squidward acts like SpongeBob more than a spoiled brat. The plot was good and the humor in this episode was also good. I don't think this episode is great because I think this episode has some flaws. Some parts in this episode was boring, I didn't like when Squidward became the employee of the month and I didn't like that SpongeBob was a jerk to Squidward in this episode. The begining of this episode was funny. I laughed at the part when SpongeBob, Patrick and Squidward took pictures in a photo booth. The ending was also funny too. Overall, I liked this episode but I think It could have been much better. 7/10

mrenter described it best; hypocritical. Spongebob can annoy Squidward, watch him as he sleeps, ruin his Sunday (Good Neighbors), hurt him physically (Boating Buddies), mentally (Squid's Visit), all purposely (Choir Boys), but if it's the other way around, it is suddenly antagonistic. And ironically, Squidward was actually a good person here, unlike the porous devil. But he's still the antagonist, because hail Spongebob! Ugh, I don't want to talk about his character here. This is one of his most detestable appearances in the entire series. Humor takes a vacations, practically. No ending. It's a formula for disaster.

2/10

Watch Can You Spare a Dime? if you want to see this type of plot done correctly.

No matter how many times I do the Worst Episode Countdown, I'm always surprised with the amount of hate this episode gets.  In my opinion, it's one of the best of Season 5.  The jokes are solid and the character reversal change between SpongeBob and Squidward is actually done pretty well in my honest opinion.  I think people look too deep into Squidward becoming the antagonist for just acting like SpongeBob while SpongeBob turns into Squidward by being a buzzkill and a grouch.  

8/10

• Like 2

No matter how many times I do the Worst Episode Countdown, I'm always surprised with the amount of hate this episode gets.  In my opinion, it's one of the best of Season 5.  The jokes are solid and the character reversal change between SpongeBob and Squidward is actually done pretty well in my honest opinion.  I think people look too deep into Squidward becoming the antagonist for just acting like SpongeBob while SpongeBob turns into Squidward by being a buzzkill and a grouch.  

8/10

You said it better than I could. I've always defended this episode whenever I saw people on this other website fight about it and it always made me laugh a lot when I watched it again several times. I think people get so attached to the characters that they start feeling overly bad for them as if they were real people.