• Advertisement

003a. Jellyfishing

70s

I am of the opinion that when you deserve pain, you should get it. But this is handled through fate which is also called karma, and it is quite silly that nobody really understands the difference between karma and abuse.

In Jellyfishing!, Squidward gets attacked by a jellyfish after he has been sarcastic with SpongeBob and Patrick. However, I think it's OK to not want to play with somebody, but he was quite rude to them so he got zapped.

I am now wondering if the whole episode is punishment for that one moment and all subsequent. Is this where Squidward started his string of bad luck? I am interested to know more.

10/10

Many might disagree with me, but this is honestly one of my all time favorite episodes, my 9th in fact. It is an incredibly hilarious and classic episode, in fact I believe this is the first episode of the show where they started attempting a lot more great comedy. Plus this is squid abuse done right. He does act like a bit of a jerk towards SpongeBob and Patrick towards the beginning, and since he's bandaged both SpongeBob and Pat have the excuse of not knowing that Squidward hates what they're doing. Plus both of them also get stung a lot in this episode, so it never feels like everything is just purely out there to get Squidward. I also love the beginning of this episode with the montage of SpongeBob and Patrick getting ready to go jellyfishing, espeically the part where they go down the rope and their hands catch fire. That part made me LOL!

So yeah, it's an amazing episode with a classic setup, great squidward karma, so many funny lines and scenes "FIRMLY GRASP IT!", and of course the great Season 1 atmosphere. This episode is basically "The Thing" from Season 4 done the correct way. The old writers knew how to handle this type of plot a lot better than the new writers do, and so they were able to produce an incredibly hilarious and charming episode that has etched a spot in my Top 10. 

10/10.

• Happy 1

On 2/2/2012 at 7:43 AM, Hasfarr said:

It's just bias. People tend to have more love for pre-movie episodes than they have for post-movie episodes just because they were before Hillenburg left.

And yet Seasons 9B-12 have mixed to positive reception.

Edited by Atlantis SquarePantis is Amazing