• Advertisement

Season 8 Discussion

70s

Still waiting for any news on a Season 8 DVD. We already got the Season 7 DVD announcement (and I think box art as well) by this time last year. What's going on?

It seems like Nickelodeon has decided not release to a Season 8 DVD for 2012. Why, I don't know, but my guess is it has to do with the fact some episodes from S8 haven't aired and the fact they are re-releasing Seasons 4-6 as complete season sets. I guess they chose to re-release S4-6 as complete sets instead of making a Season 8 DVD this year. That is my best guess, anyways.

• God Himself 1

It seems like Nickelodeon has decided not release to a Season 8 DVD for 2012. Why, I don't know, but my guess is it has to do with the fact some episodes from S8 haven't aired and the fact they are re-releasing Seasons 4-6 as complete season sets. I guess they chose to re-release S4-6 as complete sets instead of making a Season 8 DVD this year. That is my best guess, anyways.

I'm guessing this is pretty likely. I just hope they don't take this as an excuse to sell it at the end of the year like they have been with other seasons and volumes lately.

There's still episodes of this season that I need to see..

Apart from Fiasco, Treats and For here or to go I have seen every episode, and I must say: Dang, this flippin' season restored my faith in SpongeBob!! I can't believe how fast the writers restored their quality in this show. I thought the gags/storylines/dialogs were pretty amazing and original! I really wanna buy this when it comes out, becouse now I have only seen most episodes in youtube-quality :/

Anyways, is there a chance that someone has a link for me so that I can see the remaining episodes? :D

Oh and I'm not sure about the way season 9 is going, I thought it's either hit or miss, honestly.. But oh well, maybe the writers actually read our reviews and go back to the way things were going while producing season 8 :)

EDIT: Nevermind about Treats, just saw it :D

I've pretty much seen every episode of Season 8 apart from Move It Or Lose It and Chum Fricassee...they're just NEVER ON! (well. they probably are, but I can't ever seem to find them)

8/10 - I thought it was a really good season, although I didn't really see the point of "The Other Patty" - I mean, the plotline of that episode was basically identical to that of "Best Frenemies" from season 4, in my opinion.

• Like 2

Overrated. Yes, I know it is 10x better than Season 6/7. Yes, the jokes (somewhat) improved. But it still comes off as mediocre. Why?

The characters have not advanced. Nope. Spongebob still acts like a complete idiot. Squidward still gets tortured. Patrick STILL comes off as unfunny. And Mr. Krabs is STILL the cruel cheapskate from Season 6. Not only that, but the plots are unoriginal and downright embarrassing. This might as well be called "Plankton Season", because of all the flippin' episodes he's in. It doesn't mean his episodes are always bad (actually, a lot of them are), but it's becoming annoying. Throw in another uninspired Glove World episode, formulaic predictable episodes, Spongebob's disgraceful cheeks, and you've got suckage.

However, this season does have one thing going for it: its jokes. This is the first season since Season 5 that has made me laugh. Hard. Episodes like Ghoul Fools are a riot, despite some problems. Too bad Season 9 reverts everything back to normal (as in, unfunny). It makes it quite unique though, and it stops the season from being as bad as 6/7. And there's a few gems in terms for storyline (Plankton + Squidward, for example).

Overall, if you are a hardcore fan of Spongebob, you'll love this. But if you are looking for something living up to its predecessors, look somewhere else.

• Happy 1

Accidents Will Happen 10/10

The Other Patty 4/10

Drive Thru 8.4/10

The Hot Shot 8.8/10

A Friendly Game 8.4/10

Sentimental Sponge 7.6/10

Frozen Face-Off! 9/10

Squidward's School for Grown Ups 10/10

Oral Report 5/10

Sweet and Sour Squid 7/10

The Googly Artiste 8/10

Runaway Roadtrip Episodes 10/10

Ghoul Fools 9/10

Mermaid Man Begins 8/10

Plankton's Good Eye 9/10

Barnacle Face 0/10

Pet Sitter Pat -1/10

House Sittin' For Sandy 0.5/10

Smoothe Jazz in Bikini Bottom 10/10

Bubble Troubles 8/10

The Way of the Sponge 7/10

The Krabby Patty that Ate Bikini Bottom 8/10

Bubble Buddy Returns 4/10

Restraining SpongeBob 5/10

Fiasco! 3/10

Are You Happy Now/Planet of the Jellyfish 9.7/10

Free Samples/Home Sweet Rubble 8/10

Karen 2.0 7.8/10

InSPONGEiac 8.2/10

Face Freeze! 6/10

Glove World R.I.P 5/10

Squidits 9/10

Demolition Doofus 3/10

Treats! 0.9/10

For Here or to Go? 8.1/10

It's a SpongeBob Christmas 6/10

Super Evil Aquatic Villain Team Up is Go! 8/10

Chum Fricassee 7/10

The Good Krabby Name 6.2/10

Move it or Lose It 7.8/10

Hello Bikini Bottom! 7/10

Accidents Will Happen - Meh

The Other Patty - Meh

Drive Thru - Good

The Hot Shot - Good

A Friendly Game - Good

Sentimental Sponge - Mediocre

Frozen Face-Off - Great

Squidward's School for Grown-Ups - Mediocre

Oral Report - Good

Sweet and Sour Squid - Good

The Googly Artiste - Mediocre

A SquarePants Family Vacation - Meh

Patrick's Staycation - Mediocre

Walking the Plankton - Decent

Mooncation - Good

Mr. Krabs Takes a Vacation - Decent

Ghoul Fools - Good

Mermaid Man Begins - Great

Plankton's Good Eye - Good

Barnacle Face - Meh

Pet Sitter Pat - Terrible

House Sittin' for Sandy - Bad

Smoothe Jazz at Bikini Bottom - Terrible

Bubble Troubles - Meh

The Way of the Sponge - Good

The Krabby Patty That Ate Bikini Bottom - Good

Bubble Buddy Returns - Meh

Restraining SpongeBob - Awful

Fiasco - Meh

Are You Happy Now? - Bad

Planet of the Jellyfish - Amazing

Free Samples - Great

Home Sweet Pineapple - Okay

Karen 2.0 - Decent

inSPONGEiac - Good

Face-Freeze! - Awful

Glove World R.I.P - Meh

Squiditis - Okay

Demolition Doofus - Awful

Treats! - Great

For Here or to Go - Great

It's a SpongeBob Christmas! - Superb

Super Evil Aquatic Villian Team up is Go! - Meh

Chum Fricassee - Good

The Good Krabby Name - Great

Move it or Lose it - Okay

Hello Bikini Bottom! - Superb

Okay Season

Definitely more enjoyable than seasons 6 and 7 but season 8 still suffers from feeling stilted. There's very little that's memorable or funny about season 8 and it all just piles together into one inoffensive gray blob with a few exceptions both good and bad. Planet of the Jellyfish, It's a SpongeBob Christmas, and Hello Bikini Bottom rank as some of my favorite episodes but crap like Pet Sitter Pat, Smoothe Jazz at Bikini Bottom, and Demolition Doofus are also among the worst. Season 8 is an improvement over seasons 6 and 7 but 4, 5, and 9 are still much better.

Top 5

1. Planet of the Jellyfish

2. Hello Bikini Bottom

3. It's a SpongeBob Christmas

4. Frozen Face-Off

5. Mermaid Man Begins

Bottom 5

1. Pet Sitter Pat

2. Smoothe Jazz at Bikini Bottom

3. Demolition Doofus

4. House Sittin' for Sandy

5. Are You Happy Now?

Accidents Will Happen: 5/10

The Other Patty: 4/10

Drive Thru: 8/10

The Hot Shot: 8/10

A Friendly Game: 8/10

Sentimental Sponge: 8/10

Frozen Face-Off: 9/10

Squidward’s School for Grown-Ups: 7/10 

Oral Report: 8/10

Sweet and Sour Squid: 7/10

The Googly Artiste: 3/10

A Squarepants Family Vacation: 4/10

Patrick's Staycation: 4/10

Walking the Plankton: 8/10

Mooncation: 8/10

Mr. Krabs Takes a Vacation: 7/10

Ghoul Fools: 9/10

Mermaid Man Begins: 9/10

Plankton's Good Eye: 7/10

Barnacle Face: 4/10

Pet Sitter Pat: 3/10

House Sittin for Sandy: 3/10

Smoothe Jazz at Bikini Bottom: 1/10

Bubble Troubles: 4/10

The Way of the Sponge: 9/10

The Krabby Patty That Ate Bikini Bottom: 5/10

Bubble Buddy Returns: 6/10

Restaraining Spongebob: 3/10

Fiasco!: 5/10

Are You Happy Now?: 4/10

Planet of the Jellyfish: 10/10

Free Samples: 5/10

Home Sweet Rubble: 4/10

Karen 2.0: 8/10

inSPONGEiac: 7/10

Face Freeze: 2/10

Glove World R.I.P: 9/10

Squiditis: 5/10

Demolition Doofus: 4/10

Treats: 8/10

For Here or to Go: 8/10

It's a Spongebob Christmas: 10/10

Super Evil Aquatic Villain Team-Up Is Go!: 4/10

Chum Fricassee: 8/10

The Good Krabby Name: 9/10

Move it or Lose it: 4/10

Hello Bikini Bottom: 10/10

Top 5:

5: Ghoul Fools

4: Glove World R.I.P

3: Hello Bikini Bottom

2: It's a Spongebob Christmas

1: Planet of the Jellyfish

Bottom 5:

5: Restraining Spongebob

4: Pet Sitter Pat

3: House Sittin for Sandy

2: Face Freeze

1: Smoothe Jazz in Bikini Bottom

Season Thoughts:

Unpopular opinion, but I actually think this season is good, and on par with season 5. While the season isn’t 1-4 tier, I still find it entertaining and funny. Also, even though most hate it, I don’t mind the animation in this season, and I also don’t mind the boringness as much as most people do. In fact, I wouldn’t even say this season is overall boring, as more epsodes don’t bore me than do. However, there are still a bunch of episodes that are boring, and this is a result of the slower pace most episodes in the season has. The slower pace can make the episodes more boring than usual. Despite this, I still find the season to be enjoyable. Overall, it’s a good season.

Edited by Wintermelon43

Season 8 is a definite step up from the two preceding seasons, which were just... ugh. However, this season doesn't go too far above those, so I'll just say that this was... a step in the right direction, sort of? Unfortunately a lot of this season is pretty... eh, leaving it as being the third worst season (in my opinion). Anyways...

Accidents Will Happen: 7/10 (I somehow enjoyed this episode despite how oddly it's structured)

The Other Patty: 6/10 (pretty meh, there are better Krabs and Plankton team-up episodes)

Drive Thru: 7/10 (rather enjoyable; its faster pacing really helps it keep from being too stale)

The Hot Shot: 7/10 (while not a personal favorite of mine, this one's pretty good, handling a guest star well)

A Friendly Game: 4/10 (Patrick is just purely annoying and the antics in Squidward's house are just... ugh)

Sentimental Sponge: 4/10 (snoozefest)

Frozen Face-Off: 7/10 (while not one of my favorite specials, it's pretty good and one of the first good specials in quite a while)

Squidward's School for Grown-Ups: 6/10 (kinda boring and the opening is pretty annoying)

Oral Report: 7/10 (Patrick was actually funny here and the whole part at the Boating School was pretty good)

Sweet and Sour Squid: 7/10 (not great but probably in the top 5 of the season, I enjoyed it)

The Google Artiste: 4/10 (SO boring and forgettable)

A SquarePants Family Vacation: 4/10 (see above)

Patrick's Staycation: 4/10 (eh)

Walking the Plankton: 6/10 (it was alright, wouldn't call it great though)

Mooncation: 6/10 (other than the interesting CGI there's nothing special here)

Mr. Krabs Takes a Vacation: 6/10 (meh, could've been better)

Ghoul Fools: 7/10 (weirdly, I enjoyed this one despite the weird structuring)

Mermaid Man Begins: 6/10 (passable but not one of my favorites)

Plankton's Good Eye: 6/10 (it's so close to being 7/10, as I love the concept but I wish it could've been executed better)

Barnacle Face: 5/10 (gross and boring)

Pet Sitter Pat: 5/10 (I don't hold a strong grudge against this one but it's really not enjoyable)

House Sittin' for Sandy: 4/10 (so dull)

Smoothe Jazz at Bikini Bottom: 1/10 (SO. FRUSTRATING.)

Bubble Troubles: 5/10 (very meh)

The Way of the Sponge: 6/10 (...yeah, there's not much to say here either)

The Krabby Patty that Ate Bikini Bottom: 6/10 (Whelk Attack is better than this and that was in Season 7!)

Bubble Buddy Returns: 3/10 (wasted potential and just pointless)

Restraining Spongebob: 4/10 (kinda frustrating but I don't hate this one as much as a lot of people seem to)

Fiasco!: 5/10 (the episode's name describes its structuring perfectly)

Are You Happy Now: 3/10 (kinda depressing and the suicide jokes are poorly written, with little to no use)

Planet of the Jellyfish: 7/10 (I enjoyed it but to be honest it's sort of boring)

Free Samples: 5/10 (boring)

Home Sweet Rubble: 6/10 (see above)

Karen 2.0: 7/10 (pretty good all-around)

InSPONGEiac: 6/10 (weirdly balanced; Patrick's scenes were pretty funny and the scenes at the Krusty Krab were pretty eh, with everything else being just ok)

Face Freeze: 3/10 (lacks substance)

Glove World RIP: 5/10 (very dull)

Squiditis: 7/10 (somehow I enjoyed this one)

Demolition Doofus: 6/10 (sorry, I don't hate this one too much... it's pretty boring though)

Treats!: 7/10 (pretty enjoyable if a bit annoying at times)

For Here or to Go: 6/10 (uneventful but not bad)

It's a Spongebob Christmas: 7/10 (enjoyable, if overrated)

Super Evil Aquatic Villain Team-Up Is Go!: 6/10 (other than the overly long name, there's nothing special here)

Chum Fricassee: 6/10 (not the most interesting episode but it's still sort of enjoyable)

The Good Krabby Name: 7/10 (actually a pretty fun episode)

Move It or Lose It: 6/10 (kinda boring)

Hello Bikini Bottom: 7/10 (not the best special out there but I sort of enjoyed it)

This averages out to about 5.6/10, rounding out to be a 6/10, or OK season. Even then, this season is very mixed; there are a lot of boring episodes and even downright awful ones. I'd say that while this season is a definite step up from the preceding two seasons, it's inferior to every other season otherwise.

Season 8 rewatch begins and I’m modifying my ratings system a bit 

God Tier, Good, Okay, BAD!, EVIL!! (New lowest value)

Accidents Will Happen: Good (a shocker I know)

The Other Patty: BAD! (Holy fuck is this boring. It’s not awful and has a good line. The cannibalism one. But besides that it suuucks)

Drive Thru: Okay (I liked some of the moments but I felt there could have been more jokes)

The Hot Shot: Good (I don’t know what it is about this episode but it’s enjoyable)

A Friendly Game: EVIL! (Does this episode need to exist. The humor style is just not good. The funniest part about this episode is the goddamn title...)

Sentimental Sponge: BAD! (This ep is very bland and bad. The jokes aren’t very funny at all)

Frozen Face Off: Okay (I find the story okay and I like the mollusk’s animation. It should’ve been 15-16 minutes long imo it drags on near the end.)

Squidward’s School for Grownups: BAD! (What a long fucking title. Anyway I don’t like this one. The song is kinda funny ironically but the rest isn’t well written. It’s one of those eps that’s kinda forgettable)

Oral Report: Good (It’s on the borderline of being God Tier just some of Patrick wasn’t great in this episode.)

Sweet and Sour Squid: Good (I like the character dynamic of this episode.)

The Googly Artiste: Okay (I don’t get much of the hate for this one. I kinda like the weird satire of the art world and while Patrick is a bit of an asshole in this ep it’s kinda the point.) 

DISC 1 COMPLETE

A SquarePants Family Vacation: EVIL! (Holy shit this was so bad. It’s so badly paced and has too much filler. One pointless scene that sticks out is the scene where the car goes in the mall and shit. Why is it there. Also the Noah spongy section was genius so. Road song raised my IQ by 10000000000000)

Patrick’s Staycation: BAD! (Lol this ep was boring as shit. Feels right out of s7. One of the good jokes that I felt worked was the 5 hours later joke with the spa. Most of it was pretty bad.)

Walking the Plankton: Okay (Generally pretty tame. Jokes don’t really land but it’s not that bad. I wasn’t too bored. Not much to say on this one.)

Mooncation: God Tier (I forgot how good this episode is. It brings actually funny jokes which are a surprise for this season. A season where every episode has been passable. This is one of the better ones so far.)

Mr. Krabs Takes A Vacation: God Tier (This episode’s humor shines in its visual gags. Dialogue is great too. This is crazy it’s like we’ve entered a new season.)

SB Runaway Roadtrip as a whole:

Well I didn’t like it a lot. There’s tons of shit in the first 2 eps. 2 of the episodes are really good though. I’m gonna day they even out to make an overall Okay miniseries. I appreciate there’s a more connecting thread with the slideshows than the shitty connecting of the miniseries with a BOOK OPENING like in Legends. It’s a pretty good attempt and I appreciate this miniseries for doing much better than the last. 

Ghoul Fools: Good (but a very low good. The episode suffers from a lot of pacing problems and a weird structure but a lot of the jokes land really well. Had me smiling at a lot of moments)

Mermaid Man Begins: God Tier (That ending saves this episode from being a mid tier good. It’s way better than a lot of the normal jokes in the episode through it’s sheer absurdity)

Plankton’s Good Eye: Okay (This episode is not that spectacular but rather just okay. Nothing is really bad about it but nothing is really good about it either.)

Barnacle Face: Okay (Just like good eye there’s not much to say about this episode. It all makes a bit more sense if you know the twist beforehand I guess.)

Pet Sitter Pat: EVIL! (holy shit this is bad. The really unfunny Patrick humor is what makes this worse than average. Honestly I’m surprised I used to find this an ok episode.)

House Sittin’ For Sandy: BAD! (This shit is laughably bad. The helmet joke really sticks out here. I’d say it goes on for so long that I feel like that wasn’t intentionally going to be part of the episode. The joke they make for it isn’t good at all either)

Smoothe Jazz at Bikini Bottom: EVIL! (What an awful episode. This feels straight out of the worst of season 7. In fact this is probably one of the worst episodes of the series. In fact I’m gonna elaborate on this ep when its on the commentary slot on this years worst list. I’ll link when that happens).

Disc 2 COMPLETE

Accidents Will Happen 4/10

The Other Patty 5/10

Drive Thru 6/10

The Hot Shot 7/10

A Friendly Game 5/10

Sentimental Sponge 5/10

Frozen Face-Off 8/10

Squidward's School for Grown-Ups 4/10

Oral Report 3/10

Sweet and Sour Squid 5/10 (I don't remember ANYTHING about this one)

The Google Artiste 1/10

A SquarePants Family Vacation 3/10

Patrick's Staycation 2/10

Walking the Plankton 5/10

Mooncation 7/10

Mr. Krabs Takes a Vacation 7/10

Ghoul Fools 6/10

Mermaid Man Begins 8/10

Plankton's Good Eye 6/10

Barnacle Face 5/10

Pet Sitter Pat 2/10

House Sittin' for Sandy 3/10

Smoothe Jazz at Bikini Bottom depressedluigi/10

Bubble Troubles: 5/10 (very meh)

The Way of the Sponge 7/10

The Krabby Patty that Ate Bikini Bottom 6/10

Bubble Buddy Returns 4/10

Restraining Spongebob 4/10

Fiasco! 4/10

Are You Happy Now 3/10

Planet of the Jellyfish 8/10

Free Samples 1/10

Home Sweet Rubble 6/10

Karen 2.0 7/10

InSPONGEiac 7/10

Face Freeze 2/10

Glove World RIP 4/10

Squiditis 5/10 (another one that just exists)

Demolition Doofus 1/10

Treats! 5/10

For Here or to Go 5/10

It's a Spongebob Christmas 9/10

Super Evil Aquatic Villain Team-Up Is Go! 2/10

Chum Fricassee 7/10

The Good Krabby Name 7/10

Move It or Lose It 5/10

Hello Bikini Bottom 8/10

Top 5

5. Frozen Face-Off

4. Planet of the Jellyfish

3. Hello Bikini Bottom

2. Mermaid Man Begins

1. It's a Spongebob Christmas

Bottom 5

5. Pet Sitter Pat

4. Free Samples

3. The Googly Artiste

2. Demolition Doofus

1. Smoothe Jazz at Bikini Bottom (cancerous)

Again an improvement from 6 and 7. It has more stand out episodes here. However, the season is just dull. Lots of good plots are wasted on lame execution. There were also some badddd episodes like Smoothe Jazz, both those were fewer thankfully. The season isn't memorable, but it has some moments.

Edited by hippythehippo

Accidents Will Happen:4/10

The Other Patty:3/10

Drive Thru:6/10

The Hot Shot:6/10

A Friendly Game:2/10

Sentimental Sponge:7/10

Frozen Face-Off!:8/10

Squidward's School for Grown Ups:1/10

Oral Report:3/10

Sweet and Sour Squid:6/10

The Googly Artiste:7/10