• Advertisement

137a. One Coarse Meal

Sabre

it wasn't used as a joke but it's showing you "oh look he wants to get run over" which isnt much better. they wanted to show Mr. Krabs was wrong but it didnt really show because Krabs ended up winning, he harassed Plankton for 18 days while Plankton only got like 10 minutes of revenge

they may not have tried to be offensive but the theme CAN offend people, and something can offend you without being violent.

• Like 1

"Then Plankton attempts Suicide causing the Creepypasta community to come to a conclusion that there is another Version of the episode where he did and went to hell."

the end

• Like 1

Welp, it looks like I have to bring another rant onto this thread.

I have a confession, I don't hate this episode. I did make a post detailing that I grew into hating "One Coarse Meal," but I don't agree with that post anymore since I forced myself into hating it to begin with. You know what? This is just from my point of view, but the whole "Plankton attempting suicide" fiasco isn't the real problem I find with the episode. The problem is that Plankton, the antagonist, doesn't even act like a villain in this episode, while Mr. Krabs, the one people are intended to root for, is played out like the real villain and the writers just happened to mix up two simple rules for the two characters by making Plankton sympathetic and Mr. Krabs utterly detestable.

Oh, and did I mention we milked that one scene to death? In my opinion, the "joke" with Plankton trying to get run over is not funny, so I agree with you guys. Suicide is a big issue, but the fact that the episode was using a reference to suicide as a joke isn't something to get worked up over nonetheless. Why did I say that? In the end, it was just a flat joke that shouldn't be taken so seriously, even though virtually everyone else already has. If there's anything Spongebob Squarepants - the show is not, it is not offensive, inconsiderate, insensitive....and the same could be said for who wrote the episode: Casey Alexander, Zeus Cervas, even including the voice of Plankton: Mr. Lawrence. As I already said before, "One Coarse Meal" doesn't seem like an episode that can get censored/banned from broadcast. I don't even know if there were actually episodes from programs that got banned because of "offensive suicide jokes."

Heck, a lot of other media like Spongebob have played suicide for laughs. (Adventure Time, Looney Tunes, some of Walt Disney's animated shorts, etc...) Not only that, but Spongebob had used jokes that were somewhat references to suicide. ("I wonder if a fall from this height will kill me." "Too bad that didn't kill me.") The difference though is that those two jokes I used as examples were actually funny, I understand that. However, in retrospect, the two jokes can also be seen as "offensive" for some. Does that mean they should be taken seriously? No. The same can still be said for the one joke in "One Coarse Meal." If there's a problem with how "One Coarse Meal" uses suicide for a joke, it's that the joke just isn't funny. It fails to deliver. Spongebob is a cartoon where its main goal is to generate laughs. As offensive people will still find that one scene, what matters is that the joke only ended up being humorless. But it's a show for kids, this type of content does not belong here! - you guys would say, but also note that the show is also trying to generate laughs for its adult audience.

Bottom line, I am incredibly sick of people drawing conclusions from that episode because of the one scene/joke and using that one scene/joke for their perspective of not only the whole episode, but as a role against post-movie Spongebob in general. (kinda like the you-know-what scene from "House Fancy")

End of review. This is pretty much the last time I try to debate over this episode.

Welp, it looks like I have to bring another rant onto this thread.

I have a confession, I don't hate this episode. I did make a post detailing that I grew into hating "One Coarse Meal," but I don't agree with that post anymore since I forced myself into hating it to begin with. You know what? This is just from my point of view, but the whole "Plankton attempting suicide" fiasco isn't the real problem I find with the episode. The problem is that Plankton, the antagonist, doesn't even act like a villain in this episode, while Mr. Krabs, the one people are intended to root for, is played out like the real villain and the writers just happened to mix up two simple rules for the two characters by making Plankton sympathetic and Mr. Krabs utterly detestable.

Oh, and did I mention we milked that one scene to death? In my opinion, the "joke" with Plankton trying to get run over is not funny, so I agree with you guys. Suicide is a big issue, but the fact that the episode was using a reference to suicide as a joke isn't something to get worked up over nonetheless. Why did I say that? In the end, it was just a flat joke that shouldn't be taken so seriously, even though virtually everyone else already has. If there's anything Spongebob Squarepants - the show is not, it is not offensive, inconsiderate, insensitive....and the same could be said for who wrote the episode: Casey Alexander, Zeus Cervas, even including the voice of Plankton: Mr. Lawrence. As I already said before, "One Coarse Meal" doesn't seem like an episode that can get censored/banned from broadcast. I don't even know if there were actually episodes from programs that got banned because of "offensive suicide jokes."

Heck, a lot of other media like Spongebob have played suicide for laughs. (Adventure Time, Looney Tunes, some of Walt Disney's animated shorts, etc...) Not only that, but Spongebob had used jokes that were somewhat references to suicide. ("I wonder if a fall from this height will kill me." "Too bad that didn't kill me.") The difference though is that those two jokes I used as examples were actually funny, I understand that. However, in retrospect, the two jokes can also be seen as "offensive" for some. Does that mean they should be taken seriously? No. The same can still be said for the one joke in "One Coarse Meal." If there's a problem with how "One Coarse Meal" uses suicide for a joke, it's that the joke just isn't funny. It fails to deliver. Spongebob is a cartoon where its main goal is to generate laughs. As offensive people will still find that one scene, what matters is that the joke only ended up being humorless. But it's a show for kids, this type of content does not belong here! - you guys would say, but also note that the show is also trying to generate laughs for its adult audience.

Bottom line, I am incredibly sick of people drawing conclusions from that episode because of the one scene/joke and using that one scene/joke for their perspective of not only the whole episode, but as a role against post-movie Spongebob in general. (kinda like the you-know-what scene from "House Fancy")

End of review. This is pretty much the last time I try to debate over this episode.

That's all fine and dandy Steel to have a different opinion.  I'm all for accepting other opinions, but as someone who loathes this episode, what you point out as just one scene that people get their arms all up in the air about....well it's for far more than just that one scene.  It was everything building up to that scene as well.  Watching Mr. Krabs psychologically torment Plankton into....well this...

tumblr_lfemxr3qbf1qbaxlqo1_400.gif

They don't even play that off as funny.  It's like something you would see straight out of a horror movie.  Mr. Krabs had no rightful reason to torment the living hell out of Plankton to begin with except "I have a whale daughter and Plankton is terrified of whales, so I'm going to torment him for the sake of tormenting him".  First, those two (Plankton and Pearl) have interacted in the past.  There goes any sort of logic behind the premise.  Second, whales don't eat plankton.  They eat krill.  The logic behind the reasoning of that paranoia goes right out the window some more.  Last, but most important, If it was just having Mr. Krabs dress up as Pearl whenever Plankton tried to sneak into the Krusty Krab, then it would be a different story.  But Plankton was being stalked by Mr. Krabs to no end at the comfort of his own restaurant/house.  That's beyond messed up and just loses me far before the poor handling of "the suicide scene".  The whole eleven minutes of this episode is far more than just frustration over the handling of suicide, but just further devaluing any moral integrity left behind the character of Mr. Krabs and showing all sorts of sympathy to Plankton, who has pretty much become an abuse victim.

• Like 3

That's all fine and dandy Steel to have a different opinion.  I'm all for accepting other opinions, but as someone who loathes this episode, what you point out as just one scene that people get their arms all up in the air about....well it's for far more than just that one scene.  It was everything building up to that scene as well.  Watching Mr. Krabs psychologically torment Plankton into....well this...

tumblr_lfemxr3qbf1qbaxlqo1_400.gif

They don't even play that off as funny.  It's like something you would see straight out of a horror movie.  Mr. Krabs had no rightful reason to torment the living hell out of Plankton to begin with except "I have a whale daughter and Plankton is terrified of whales, so I'm going to torment him for the sake of tormenting him".  First, those two (Plankton and Pearl) have interacted in the past.  There goes any sort of logic behind the premise.  Second, whales don't eat plankton.  They eat krill.  The logic behind the reasoning of that paranoia goes right out the window some more.  Last, but most important, If it was just having Mr. Krabs dress up as Pearl whenever Plankton tried to sneak into the Krusty Krab, then it would be a different story.  But Plankton was being stalked by Mr. Krabs to no end at the comfort of his own restaurant/house.  That's beyond messed up and just loses me far before the poor handling of "the suicide scene".  The whole eleven minutes of this episode is far more than just frustration over the handling of suicide, but just further devaluing any moral integrity left behind the character of Mr. Krabs and showing all sorts of sympathy to Plankton, who has pretty much become an abuse victim.

Hey, that argument really speaks to me. It says I should reply with my current thoughts.

I...don't think this one was great or terrible. I didn't find it hilarious, and I thought they went too far with Mr. Krabs wanting Plankton dead, but other than that, it kept me entertained and I felt it was done alright overall.

Past Metal Snake, you are only somewhat correct. I still don't hate this episode, but I do see more wrong with it than I did in the past. I'll also confess that even my first time watching it, I never liked the route they took with Mr. Krabs dressing up as Pearl to scare Plankton. I always thought it would've been a lot more interesting if Pearl was the one scaring him. But no, she just vanishes from the episode after the opening act. It's just bad storytelling.

Plankton has been run over bij cars so many times that the joke about waiting for the bus to kill him isn't to be taken seriously at all. I forgot the stupid joke after 20 seconds and it doesn't offend me and never will. If it does offend you, you must have experienced a tragic situation. It means that you have gone through something sad, because if a spongebob joke (that's old as f*ck) makes you cry over something horrible it's most likely that it's not the program, but the events in your life are what's causing your sadness. Of course, spongebob is meant to amuse. But this is nothing more than a joke not working. If it gets you upset there are most likely some things in your life that you have yet to deal with. Someons who is mentally stabile won't get worked up about this little flop in a fine and decent spongebob episode. This is my view on it, meaning I totally give this episode the benefit of the doubt.

I thought the joke was funny. Judging by all the comments here, I must be the only one. Funny how no one makes a big deal out of other shows in the past (Looney Tunes, Tom and Jerry, Disney shorts, the Simpsons) that have used suicide as comedy. But that must be because the episode came out when suicide is taken more seriously nowadays, so it must be okay to laugh when old shows have characters holding guns to their head. Still suicide is suicide and people wanna debate whether it's alright for fictional characters to do it.

if you're gonna do a suicide joke it has to literally be some clutch comedy, funniest thing you've ever done in your show

you've gotta be able to make people laugh so hard they forget how dark the subject is

if anyone's actually getting offended at the joke in this episode it's time to reevaluate your life because it's literally such a blink and you'll miss it thing that it's almost nothing, and it's barely a joke. It's more of a plot point than anything that isn't really treated as anything more than a throwaway mention in passing. It's a kids cartoon man, it is not that serious

However, this is still a trash episode. overall a needlessly dark and unfunny 11 minutes that jacks with the morality of Mr. Krabs further and doesn't do anything interesting with that concept. 3/10 and only for the return of Plankton's cousins from 4 seasons ago. Mr. Lawrence's worst episode

• Like 1

Yeah see that's the thing, the big dividing "suicide joke" isn't even a joke. It's a joke in the same way that somebody walking to the store is a joke. Where's the punchline in Plankton wanting to get hit by a bus?

• Like 1

Yeah see that's the thing, the big dividing "suicide joke" isn't even a joke. It's a joke in the same way that somebody walking to the store is a joke. Where's the punchline in Plankton wanting to get hit by a bus?

It's that SpongeBob sais something like: Hey plankton, what are you doing lying flat on the street?

Plankton: Go away SpongeBob. Can't you see I'm trying to get run over?!

I guess it was supposed to be ironic since SpongeBob was in a good mood when he got there.

Also, in the second scene Plankton looks at his watch and sais something like: Man, what does it take to get run over around here!?

To me that's not funny at all, but I would have sworn they were going for a joke here, not a major plot point (which is the fact that Plankton is about to 'give up' when SpongeBob suddenly leaks Mr. Krabs's secret fear).

Where is the humor here? Besides the beginning, and Krabs being tormented by a mime, the jokes are pretty much non-existent.

How is Plankton's suicide attempt a joke? I mean, I can point out the humor in the suicide jokes in other episodes

Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy IV: The joke is that Squidward is small enough to be able to die by falling from Patrick's hand to the ground. Also, the line is said in the middle of the "Wumbo" quote

Are You Happy Now: It's supposed to look like a suicide attempt, when it's really not.

This episode features an entire scene in which a character attempts suicide after 17 paranoia filled days of being harassed by what he believes is a whale, something that is established to be planktons' natural predator, to the point of having nightmares. Plankton tries to kill himself in a realistic way for a realistic reason. Not helping is that he is lamenting that there is no point in living because he will spend the rest of his life being tormented, and that "all meaning has left his life". None of this is cartoony or over the top at all (except maybe Plankton growing long hair, a beard, and claws)

Oh, and Krabs seems pretty proud of what he did, even after SpongeBob tries to shame him. I oughtta bring my jellyfish brotheren, and give Mr. Krabs what's coming to him like we did in Jellyfish Hunter.

• Like 1

HANDS DOWN! THIS IS THE WORST SEASON 7 EPISODE EVER. I thought this episode was much worse than A Pal For Gary. Not just the worst season 7 episode, It's also one of my least favorite SpongeBob episodes. Definetly on my bottom 10.. I don't understand why this episode got many good reviews on tv.com. The only good part was the begining because that part was very enjoyable but I'm gonna rate this episode 0/10 because this episode get worse after Mr. Krabs finds out that Plankton is afraid of whales and dressed up like Pearl to scare Plankton. I really hated Mr. Krabs in this episode. Mr. Krabs was okay in season 7 but he was unlikeable in this episode and I really wanted to punch Mr. Krabs. Also SpongeBob says that Mr. Krabs's afraid of mimes to Plankton but at the end, he later uses a projector to scare Plankton. Are you serious SpongeBob? SpongeBob was unlikeable in this episode. Pearl was okay in this episode. Also the worst part was Plankton's suicide attempt. That part is even worse than the suicide jokes in "Are You Happy Now?" because at least Squidward didn't commit suicide. The writers of this episode forgot that kids watch SpongeBob too. I still don't understand why many members of tv.com liked this episode. This episode is just one of the most overrated post-movie episodes. I will never watch this episode again. I really felt bad for Plankton in this episode. This episode makes you want to watch Best Frenemies, Friend or Foe and The Other Patty again. At least these episodes are great and worth watching again. I don't recommend this episode, especially to post-movie haters and Plankton fans. 0/10

Nah, I don't hate it as much as I used to anymore. Still an awful episode but there are much worse TV episodes than this.