• Advertisement

137a. One Coarse Meal

Sabre

I...don't think this one was great or terrible. I didn't find it hilarious, and I thought they went too far with Mr. Krabs wanting Plankton dead, but other than that, it kept me entertained and I felt it was done alright overall.

• Like 1

You know what? I actually give up. Looking into this episode more and more, there's just no reason to try and like this episode anymore. At first, I didn't know that ONE "suicide joke" could technically ruin EVERYTHING. (Are You Happy Now?)....Or two. I'd also never thought that this episode would be bad enough for Stephen Hillenburg to be rumored to hate the episode himself. I would go around into making a rant/review on this, if I have time for that. Most of all, it feels sad for me to say that I would declare that it's IMPOSSIBLE to like this episode, and screw me for used to liking an episode where Plankton tries to attempt suicide and trying to give reasons why it wasn't as bad, right?

But you know what's else? It had enough charm regardless of everything that made the episode unfavorable. 5.8/10

You know what? I actually give up. Looking into this episode more and more, there's just no reason to try and like this episode anymore. At first, I didn't know that ONE "suicide joke" could technically ruin EVERYTHING. (Are You Happy Now?)....Or two. I'd also never thought that this episode would be bad enough for Stephen Hillenburg to be rumored to hate the episode himself. I would go around into making a rant/review on this, if I have time for that. Most of all, it feels sad for me to say that I would declare that it's IMPOSSIBLE to like this episode, and screw me for used to liking an episode where Plankton tries to attempt suicide and trying to give reasons why it wasn't as bad, right?

But you know what's else? It had enough charm regardless of everything that made the episode unfavorable. 5.8/10

Most, uh, passive-aggressive review ever?

• Like 1

So what the writers do is make Plankton afraid of Pearl in this episode but not Algae's Always Greener. As far as I know of that was the first episode where Plankton and Pearl meet. Shouldn't he have been afraid of her then?

Mr. k IS A huge jerk. He BASICALLY WANTS TO KILL PLANKTON! That's just waaay over the top, writers! Okay, the plot is good. Mr. Krabs wants to scare Plankton away by dressing up as Pearl. But, they made this episode into a really horrible monster, IMO.

Ball #3:
INGGcuY.png

• Like 1

Most, uh, passive-aggressive review ever?

Is that a problem? Well, I admit I was being passive aggressive, but I can understand what "One Coarse Meal" has been known to be. This is a way too late reply, and this would strangely be the time where I decide to tell you more about what I think.

If this episode gives no charm for any Spongebob fan, does not pass out as a guilty pleasure for anyone, and has no positive apsects to mention, then that's where I just have to agree. I can understand the hate the episode gets from virtually everyone else, so I might as well dislike it too. If I kept liking it, it wouldn't stop me from people going to think that I laugh at suicide, share no sympathy for Plankton and support Mr. Krabs, or anything else because I liked it, I bet. Well, now I don't. (Yeah, I've mentioned that "a million times" already now....)

I can't really agree on what people are getting at with the moral being that suicide is funny and kids should torment like Mr. Krabs like so in the episode. Beats me what the target audience thinks what the episode means to them, but SBC and SBM's got kids who have talked about One Coarse Meal and they might as well not have liked it either.

The more I get known to One Coarse Meal and the more I think about, the more it devastates me. I hate to be sappy here, but it also makes me feel as if the episode alone has changed the entire meaning of post-movie Spongebob and make it stand out as if almost the whole show is now meant to be even worse than the likes of Johnny Test. Anyways, sorry guys, I'm stressed. A 11-minute segment apparently has the ability to make me act like this, the passive-aggressive person I'm being.

Er... no, there is NO way that this could be considered funny, in my opinion - it's way TOO dark to be comedic. Plus, Plankton did not DESERVE to be driven to attempt suicide.
Here is how it mocks suicide - Plankton is psychologically tormented to attempt suicide, and the episode takes it in such a horrendously light tone - you DO NOT mess around with a subject matter like suicide. I've seen suicide jokes done right before, but this episode is how you do it WRONG. HORRIBLY wrong - it handles it IMMATURELY. If you're going to talk about suicide on a show - DO IT AS AN ADULT.
The writers here are INCREDIBLY immature in how it drives Plankton to attempt suicide, Mr Krabs, the one who drove him to that state, gets away scot-free in the end, and at the end of the episode, Plankton's fears are returned to him, most likely meaning he'll be driven to be suicidal again.

I don't actually hate this episode as much as other people. I have the same thoughts of this episode as I do Pet or Pests, where nothing about it bothered me and it did have a bit of humor tonight. Do I love it? Do I hate it? None of them is correct. It's in the middle.

C - 5/10

• Like 2

One Coarse Meal sucks big time, i dont know why that one scene in Just One Bite gets censored but not THIS

Just One Bite had a scene that was too soon after the 9/11 attacks, so it had to be cut from broadcast. Most of the hate for One Coarse Meal came from one flat joke (Plankton committing suicide...). Some people find the episode deeply offensive, but frankly, its type of "offensive" isn't how an episode gets banned/censored.

• Like 1

Just One Bite had a scene that was too soon after the 9/11 attacks, so it had to be cut from broadcast. Most of the hate for One Coarse Meal came from one flat joke (Plankton committing suicide...). Some people find the episode deeply offensive, but frankly, its type of "offensive" isn't how an episode gets banned/censored.

suicide is a sensitive topic and hits too close to home though