• Advertisement

Almost Government Shutdown 2011

Karen

I'm sure if you are into the news, you've heard about the government shutdown that almost happened. Just a few minutes ago they called that they had reached an agreement.

For those who weren't informed, an agreement on the budget of the US needed to be made before midnight of April 9th or else the government would "shutdown" - a process where things that are deemed "non-essential" would be cut from federal funding, which includes national museums, certain employees, and even death benefits in the military.

One of the huge issues concerning why the budget hasn't been made already is abortion. I'm against it, but it's pretty ridiculous when that is one of the main reasons why the economy of the US almost went down the drain because of government shutdown. They seriously need to get their act together.

What are your opinions?

Guest hilaryfan80

There's a lot I have to say about this. First off, the issues are ridiculous. More importantly, BBC reports (italics are mine):

Mr Obama said in a statement that the US government could not continue to operate on a week-to-week basis and that he would veto the Republican bill if it arrived on his desk.

Seriously? I'm not for republicans or democrats, but that's going a bit far to say that any republican bill would receive a veto. This is one of the many reasons why the shutdown had almost happened -- the democrats (at least the ones in the government system right now) all want power and don't want the republicans to intervene. The republicans want certain ideas, but democrats could care less. Thus, an agreement never happened.

Honestly, I don't care about parties, but if the issue of parties are too large for an agreement to happen, something needs to happen to get the government back in its place.

the democrats (at least the ones in the government system right now) all want power and don't want the republicans to intervene. The republicans want certain ideas, but democrats could care less. Thus, an agreement never happened.
I'm an Independent, but both parties want power, that's pretty obvious. It's not that Democrats don't care, it's the fact that they have conflicting ideas. It's like the creators of SpongeBob choosing a ship from their fans and two parties formed: Spandy and SquidBob. Of course they would fight.

I think this was a concern mostly because of our government's inability to agree on anything.