• Advertisement

SpongeBob SquarePants Movie 2: Sponge Out Of Water (News)

Jinjo

I'm very excited! On another site, someone actually had acces to a scrapped/alternate promo poster. They just had to keep it quiet and promise to not post it online. Does someone here have it? Do you maybe wanna PM it to me? I heard it looks awesome!

I've got it, sire

Will hit you with that PM

I'm starting to not know how to feel about this anymore. I mean, the whole idea of the characters becoming superheroes in the real world seem too weird for me, but maybe I'm just too keen on the way the characters look. I was kinda hoping they'd be 2D characters like in the first movie. Maybe I just need to see the trailer to get a real opinion.

I'm very excited! On SBM, someone actually had acces to a scrapped/alternate promo poster. They just had to keep it quiet and promise to not post it online. Does someone here have it? Do you maybe wanna PM it to me? I heard it looks awesome!

I have it but I'd prefer you ask the person on SBM who originally had it 

This looks really dumb.

I'm hoping the creators save the movie by execution it well

Probably won't happen, but an Omair can dream :/

Looking through this thread, I think to myself: what's with the miserable reactions I'm reading through? Oh well, I guess I better make myself crack again.

I get it, I can't change peoples' minds unless I try hard enough at that, everybody's entitled to their own opinions, and thinking that people should take a liking for this movie no matter what would make me look arrogant. I can react quite nicely with these superhero designs and what we've seen so far. I'm still going to be optimistic about this. I'm not going to say that people who are not lightening up to this movie should open their eyes and stop taking things so negatively, but I can't help but feel the reactions being rather tasteless. It's an upcoming Spongebob movie, most of us are excited for this, right? It would be more anticipating when the trailer pops up.

First thing to give out and just for the record, like I'm trying to convince a few times, this movie is not, absolutely, not entirely, not even by any circumstances, practically not fully animated in CGI. It has CGI in the real life scenes, but it's still got the original 2D animation format. Ever since the little word "CGI" has been spoken up during production of the movie, long before the poster was revealed, the movie showcasing that format was a big upset. I have made a post discerning that art form a month ago, so I have no other words to speak for this.

Second, here's what I think of the whole "Spongebob and friends are turning into superheroes" plot: It's dumb and too strange to look like a good movie - and I believe that's the point, even if my irrational fear of the movie sucking could be true. (But that depends on peoples' opinions) My point on that one is that Spongebob is normally a very silly show, we can't expect the entire product to be totally "epic" when Spongebob goes major, but most of us we're expecting something else, which I can see. If Stephen Hillenburg and others think a movie looking like this is okay, then I find this okay myself.

Third, the controversy behind Spongebob and his friends going CGI in the surface world, which terminoob pointed out wasn't really necessary when we had Spongebob and Patrick still looking cartoony in the real world in the first movie. Of course, I can't really argue with that since he's very much right. Could it be because entirely using 2D animation would make the movie look overbudget? That's what I wonder, but it's either that or Hollywood's "production values." Accordingly, the Spongebob Squarepants Movie's production ran on a budget of 30 million while Sponge Out of Water is currently running on a budget of 66 million. So technically speaking, Sponge Out of Water is 36 million dollars greater than the Spongebob Squarepants Movie. A budget for a movie based on a TV show can't be that high, but I'm thinking the increasing budget for the second movie would center the CGI. Heck if I know how the economy system of moviemaking works. Ugh, this is just so hard to think through. 

Before I start giving my own reactions to the trailer, I'm going to give some advice: remember that most of you guys are Spongebob fans and we are a Spongebob Community for a major reason. It's okay if some of you guys are not interested by far, but this thread could use some spirit because I'm Mr. Brightside. It's also just that I'm starting to worry about the fandom sometimes and I making an impression that 2014 is probably a foul year for the sponge with Mr. Enter's popularity, the new episode drought, and now this. In the end, sorry for having such a mouthful again.

• Like 1

Another thing: I think the one thing that could take away my interest with the movie is if Daniel Craig was actually voicing Spongebob instead of Mr. Kenny.

Other than that, I'm still liking the superhero designs.

I mean it what's your version of overdoing it?

https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/7117027328/h20F3AF45/

The costumes here are Patrick and Spongebob with a six pack, Mr. Krabs as a robot, and Squidward minus two legs. How is that all trying too hard? If anything they didn't try enough. They made them look like superhero tropes and called it a day. And to top it off the "Spongers" poster has Plankton as Plankton with a six pack and Sandy as a picture of a live-action squirrel.

Yeah, they were sure wracking their brains with these.

My only problem with this (besides a possible lack of emotional build up that could happen, which I don't mind too much since this is an adventure/comedy) are the CGI models' texture in the trailer. It looks too doughy, I know they're more cartoonish than anything but I would have like to had saw the porous holes of a real sponge or the bumps on a real starfish, Sandy with realer looking hair. But you know, in moderation. The poster for the movie somewhat did this though. It's not really a big deal I guess.

Edit: Looking at some close ups, I can see a lot more detail. So Never mind.

Edit edit: Rewatching the trailer again I'm trying to put together how getting the secret formula would be the final page in the pirate's (wow I feel really bad for not remembering his name completely) evil plan. I know he's gonna sell Krabby Patties and make them as his own but still. What's his entire evil plan? Is it just about the formula or is it something more? Hmm.

Pretty nice that they unveiled those models. Looks like the movie will be in 3D, which is something that will change the way we see the series. Hopefully it won't disappoint like The Last Airbender did. At least that's what I'm hoping for.

3D is at least 10 page down on the list of reasons why " The Last Airbender " failed

3D is at least 10 page down on the list of reasons why " The Last Airbender " failed

actually, i don't think 3D alone is the cause, it's that the developers making that movie didn't know about what made that show good, and tried to squeeze the story into one movie without using enough effort to try to connect the story without errors, along with many other reasons.

That's partly a reason, but I think the reason The Last Airbender failed was because the story was badly written, seems like they only read a summary of the show and used that as the story of the movie. And also because they chose actors that don't represent the character's ethnicities, from what I remember a lot of people were disappointed by that fact.