• Advertisement

SpongeBob SquarePants Movie 2: Sponge Out Of Water (News)

Jjs Goodman

I have a feeling they moved this up a week to try and cash in on the success The Lego Movie had with the first week of February this year.

Not too fond of the title Sponge Out of Water and not sure how I feel about the inclusion of CG SpongeBob. Maybe if this leads to some breath taking visuals I wouldn't be against it.

In fairness to The Lego Movie, it never would've had that success if it wasn't genuinely a good movie. Not to say that this might not be, but I think it has to do more with February being an inactive month rather than The Lego Movie.

I'm still not too keen on CG Spongebob. I don't like when 2D characters are made 3D (with Jimmy/Timmy Power Hour being the exception because I was 9). It just feels... blegh. I'm sure with today's technology it'll look great (Peabody and Sherman looked a helluva lot better than I expected, that's for sure) but 2D -> 3D is always going to make me a little nervous.

In fairness to The Lego Movie, it never would've had that success if it wasn't genuinely a good movie. Not to say that this might not be, but I think it has to do more with February being an inactive month rather than The Lego Movie.

I understand. At the same time though, the first weekend of February has quietly become a hot spot for bigger films. Maybe Paramount wants to see if it will have the same success with this sequel.

First official poster! :D

Thanks to DMAP at SBM for finding the article:

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/06/10/spongebob-goes-3d-in-the-first-poster-for-his-new-movie/

During his new film. Spongebob Squarepants will pop out of his flat, undersea dominion and become a fully 3D visitor to our live action world. Judging from the first poster, he’s going to look pretty groovy while he’s doing it.

spongebob-2-600x888.jpg?9098e0

• Like 9

So that's what the CGI is gonna look like, huh? I honestly don't know if I like it or not. It looks cool, but it just doesn't seem like it gives off that classic Spongebob feel like the traditional 2D animation would. Maybe if I saw him in a normal position it would look cooler, but I don't know. I'll still keep an open mind.

Gah. What. I'm getting increasingly less and less interested in this movie. He already went on land in the first one (so there's no reason for a whole movie to be dedicated to him going on land) and he was still 2D. Unless there's an explanation for CG to be involved then they're just doing it for the sake of doing it and that's ridiculous.

Well, uh...

Huh. Not really sure what to say at this point. The CGI as a gimmick is beginning to seem more and more arbitrary as we learn more about it, and while it looks good in that poster... I don't know. "The SpongeBob Movie: A Sponge Out Of Water" is a super clunky title and just sounds off. Plus I reeeeealy hope the "lol butts" visual gag in the poster isn't indicative of the film's humor.

I don't really know how to feel at this point. Really hoping for at least some 2D, (SpongeBob's 2D animation with a huge budget is god level) but I think I'm gonna have to see some footage or something before I can really judge anything. I know it's just a poster, but it's made my hype go down a little, honestly speaking. :/

Well, uh...

Huh. Not really sure what to say at this point. The CGI as a gimmick is beginning to seem more and more arbitrary as we learn more about it, and while it looks good in that poster... I don't know. "The SpongeBob Movie: A Sponge Out Of Water" is a super clunky title and just sounds off. Plus I reeeeealy hope the "lol butts" visual gag in the poster isn't indicative of the film's humor.

I don't really know how to feel at this point. Really hoping for at least some 2D, (SpongeBob's 2D animation with a huge budget is god level) but I think I'm gonna have to see some footage or something before I can really judge anything. I know it's just a poster, but it's made my hype go down a little, honestly speaking. :/

Paul Tibbit confirmed on his Twitter that the animation is gonna be mostly 2D/traditional.

Paul Tibbit confirmed on his Twitter that the animation is gonna be mostly 2D/traditional.

That's sounding less and less stable when a poster is released where the main draw seems to be 3D. Not saying he's incorrect or anything (what do I know compared to tibbitt lol) but having a movie be mostly 2D when that poster implies otherwise just seems misleading.

Welp, after hearing that the movie is going to be about a bad guy stealing a Krabby Patty (It's possible that that guy is Plankton or a human) and characters turning into life-sized heros, my hopes for the movie had gone lower. To be honest, I'm not looking forward to the movie much as other members. Not only the idea of becoming superheros was done in MermaidMan and Barnacle Boy V, the idea is really uncreative. Not the mention there's going to be live-action scenes. I can already imagine that people will say that the movie rips-off MMBB V and people will complain about live-action scenes. The only thing that will raise my hopes is the trailer turning out to be good. Otherwise, I think the movie is going to suck.

can already imagine that people will say that the movie rips-off MMBB V

The target audience of Spongebob is kids and literally zero kids will care. You know why? Because we were the kids that were kids when that episode aired. A 7 year old isn't going to give a crap if this movie is based off of an episode that aired before they were born. Mostly because they're 7 and 7 year olds aren't sophisticated critics.

• Like 2

Yeah, my excitment level for this movie has definitely going down. I really don't like the infusion of live action and the title is just awful.

Yeah, my excitment level for this movie has definitely going down. I really don't like the infusion of live action and the title is just awful.

So did you not like the infusion of live action in the first movie? Or in any of the episodes that take place above water?

So did you not like the infusion of live action in the first movie? Or in any of the episodes that take place above water?

I actually did like the live action infusion in the first movie, but I'm sensing this movie may have a lot more of it. And no, I don't really like most of the episodes that take place above water.

The CGI really isn't that awful tbh.  I mean it's different yes, but different doesn't always mean bad.  Before anyone starts to think this movie is going to suck automatically, at least wait for the trailer before automatically judging if this movie is going to suck or not.  A poster is just a poster.  I mean if we were going to judge movies based off of posters.

MV5BMTM1NjE0NDA0MV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwODE4

Then this was suppose to be a cinematic masterpiece.

• Like 4

To be serious, it felt kinda weird at first. Like I might have acted all excited but it makes me nervous. Don't get me wrong, it looks better than any SB game's 3-D art. And if SB had the texture like an actual sponge it might look funky. Though I do notice the pours now looking at it long enough. I was thinking about this while watching another cartoon come to life in CGI:  I don't know, as long as the character acts like the character then I'm ok with it. I just want to see what the others look like now. Maybe I'm too optimistic? Oh well.

Either way I'm going to have a heart attack and sit in the corner for a while when the trailer comes out.  :sb:

• Like 1

The CGI really isn't that awful tbh.  I mean it's different yes, but different doesn't always mean bad.  Before anyone starts to think this movie is going to suck automatically, at least wait for the trailer before automatically judging if this movie is going to suck or not.  A poster is just a poster.  I mean if we were going to judge movies based off of posters.

MV5BMTM1NjE0NDA0MV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwODE4

Then this was suppose to be a cinematic masterpiece.

It's not the fact that it's bad, it's the fact that they don't need to be doing it. If Spongebob had never been out of water prior to this movie, I'd be totally fine with it (and I'd be totally fine with the apparent plot of the movie). The fact that we've seen him out of water once as a real sponge (for comedic purposes, I'd imagine, as well as limited budget) and again as just normal Spongebob just makes the fact that he's now 3D really jarring. Unless Plankton or Sandy make some sort of invention that turns everyone 3D, then what's the point? I can't imagine they have less of a budget than before, so they should've been able to do 2D on land just fine.

• Like 1

You know, I am impressed with how the CGI is looking....at this point. We get this poster and I see mixed reactions, so this is sure is going to look "pleasant." Of course I think this movie will be pleasant though, since I've been a Spongebob fan longer than the start of the W. Bush administration.....okay fine, actually DURING the first year of his administration. I can see the controversy behind the movie using a hybrid of the animated show's original format and CGI animation, terminoob made a good point, and what do I think?

One thing to argue with here is that among moviegoers, 2D doesn't seem to be profitable anymore in the Hollywood movie industry...unless you're from Japan and importing a 2D movie from there for a limited release. I guess the budget for the movie could be the reason why they're taking the live action scenes for the characters in a different direction that the original movie did. Who knows? We have had Spongebob video games in the computer animated format (for an obvious and logical reason).

Now you guys would be arguing, 'Steel! This is the 2D animated show we're discussing about! How are we going to be impressed with the fact that the movie is blending its original animation style with the type of animation that's being relied on all the time!? It just doesn't work!' First off, terminoob can't be anymore right with the fact that the use of CGI didn't need to be performed. Now, if we are to put that argument aside, then let me try to explain why using CGI for the live-action scenes could be useful and necessary: it makes production more quicker, so there's that. It makes the movie's art style look more high profile, I surely can't deny that. I also think it would be time that the staff would decide to revolutionize Spongebob by taking something new while maintaining the original status quo. If that's the idea they're thinking of or going through, then I can accept that.

Neptune knows how the Spongebob movie would be handled if they never intend to use CGI for the live-action scenes. Perhaps we could end up waiting another year? I don't know. It's an understatement to say that traditional animation is in a dramatic decline with the theatrical industry. We can all be blamed for taking little interest for movies that use the 2D format in the past, even though about half of this world now wants to see more of these 2D animated films. I am not going to be the type of guy who judges his/her own life and society because "nobody wants to do 2D animated films anymore," but are we going to expect anymore of these types of films? So far, we could only wonder. I can think of why the 2011 reboot of Winnie the Pooh ended up flopping, but I'm not going to debate on that right now.

It's going to take a long while for everyone to put up with the direction the Spongebob movie is going through, but I'm not dissatisfied. I can't believe I'm ranting on this, especially after we just got the movie poster, but I felt like sharing with you guys on how I'm judging the film and that I'm staying peaceful about it. Oh well, opinions are opinions after all and I can't change anything about your own. 

Welp, after hearing that the movie is going to be about a bad guy stealing a Krabby Patty (It's possible that that guy is Plankton or a human) and characters turning into life-sized heros, my hopes for the movie had gone lower. To be honest, I'm not looking forward to the movie much as other members. Not only the idea of becoming superheros was done in MermaidMan and Barnacle Boy V, the idea is really uncreative. Not the mention there's going to be live-action scenes. I can already imagine that people will say that the movie rips-off MMBB V and people will complain about live-action scenes. The only thing that will raise my hopes is the trailer turning out to be good. Otherwise, I think the movie is going to suck.

Comparing Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy V to a movie that would be at least 90 minutes or more sounds quite extreme. In fact, it would be appropriate to call it a rip-off if the movie is actually just the same as the aformentioned episode, but much, much, longer.

• Like 1