• Advertisement

What'd ya last watch? (Movies)

terminoob

On TV, I saw an obscure Animated Movie based on the "Zoolander" film franchise. Made in 2014, but apparently not released until 2016; it was called "Zoolander Super Model", which basically shows Derek Zoolander having super powers, and Hansel being a model version of Batman. Even though Ben Stiller and Owen Wilson (among others) lent their voices to the animated movie; it doesn't even HAVE any official entries on TV Tropes, which is how you KNOW something is obscure! It was a pretty interesting movie, though.

Let's see, I've seen QUITE a few movies since I last wrote on here; I saw the David Bowie Documentary Movie "Moonage Daydream"; the Dramatization "She Said" (based largely on the Harvey Weinstein case); the Whitney Houston bio-pic "I Wanna Dance With Somebody"; Tom Hanks' latest movie, "A Man Called Otto"; the animated masterpiece that was "Puss In Boots: The Last Wish"; and the Jane Fonda/Lily Tomlin/Rita Moreno/Sally Fields/Tom Brady movie vehicle, "80 For Brady". All of these movies were all good in their own way!

On 3/11/2023 at 7:10 PM, kev said:

thots? 

Sorry the late ass reply! I thought it was overall a great follow up to the previous one, stepping up in the brutality and character development (especially the character development, really made me care more when bad things start happening to the characters). One drawback would probably be the killer motivations. It turned out pretty basic and “been there, done that” when I felt there was lots of  potential to take it a couple steps higher and add some more layers to it. And I felt the body count could’ve used a bit more meat, especially when they’re trying to put over this Ghostface as the most brutal one yet.

last watched Shazam: Fury of the Gods and John Wick Chapter 4. Fury of the Gods wasn’t as good as Shazam 1, but it’s still one of the better ones the DCEU has churned out. I can say I liked it more than Quantumania, which I thought was painfully mediocre. John Wick 4 was just…breathtaking.

• Wow 1

“20 Minutes”, it’s a movie based on the 2018 false missile alert. A what-if scenario local indie flick in which the events played out as if the alert was legit and we actually did get hit. Let’s just say if Hawai’i had its own version of The Room, this may very well be it.

“The Super Mario Bros Movie”, 😩👌🏼

Edited by Old Man Jenkins
Fuck rotten tomatoes

I've seen three-ish movies in movie theaters since the last time I posted on here. "Ant-Man And The Wasp In Quantum Mania", but I missed the first few minutes of it, which is why I say 'Three-ish'. I saw "John Wick: Chapter 4". I haven't seen the first three yet, but this one was action packed and incredible! And "The Super Mario Bros. Movie". Awesome, AWESOME "The Super Mario Bros. Movie"! I NEVER expected them to revive the theme song for "The Super Mario Bros. Super Show", and use "The DK Rap" in this movie! And they used some AWESOME songs in here, to! Bonnie Tyler's "Holding Out For A Hero", A-Ha's "Take On Me", The Beastie Boys "No Sleep Til Brooklyn", and AC/DC's "Thunderstruck"! Needless to say, I would say that 2023 has its first front runner for the best animated movie of 2023! Enough said, true believers!

Via Netflix, I FINALLY saw "Minions: The Rise Of Gru"; very good music and VERY good acting performances! In movie theaters, I saw the documentaries "What The Hell Happened To Blood, Sweat, & Tears?"; and "Little Richard's I Am Everything". NEVER would've guessed the kind of trauma that Blood, Sweat, & Tears had to go through, or the emotional pain Little Richard had to go through most of his life. All three movies are good in their own way, I highly recommend watching them if you have the opportunity to do so. Enough said, true believers!

Guardians of Galaxy Vol. 3, and I’m happy to report that this officially makes Guardians my favorite trilogy of the entire MCU. It’s not without its flaws, but it definitely has Quantumania beat as far as Phase 5 goes and it probably has most everything in Phase 4 beat at least imo, even Wakanda Forever. The sheer power of just having good, endearing characters and all their development crescendo’ing to this point, combined with a really despicable villain (who, dare I say, was better than how Kang was handled) really made this movie for me. I felt rewarded for having been invested in these characters’ stories over the course of 9 whole years. It’s always a real solid in my book when a movie can pull that off as well as this one did. I really hope James Gunn can translate that same magic over to the DCU.

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

Via Netflix, I saw "Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers: Once And Always", so nice to see some of my favorite Rangers suit up once again! In movie theaters, I saw the AWESOME "Guardians Of The Galaxy Volume 3", and the Docu-Drama "Big George Foreman", which shows George Foreman's rise to become the Champ, his fall and finding of religion, than his comeback to become the Oldest Holder of Heavyweight Champion Boxer of The World title in 1994 at the age of 45!

I've seen in movie theaters "Book Club: The Next Chapter" (I'll probably see just about anything with Jane Fonda in it; she's such a great Actress), and the live action version of "The Little Mermaid". Please see the topic of the latter for more of my personal insights into that movie if you're interested.

Watched the live-action Little Mermaid last night, and I watched the animated original the day before just to have it clearer in my mind going into this. I thought it was definitely one of the better live action remakes. Like, I’d put it right under the live action Jungle Book on the Disney live action remake totem pole, which puts it above the others I’ve seen like Lion King, Beauty and the Beast, Mulan and Aladdin. The cast did great (tho was honestly underwhelmed by Javier Bardem as Triton. Like animated Triton legit scares at points but other than that, Javier gets the job done for the other aspects of Triton’s character). The added content was welcomed additions in my book, and nice little additions to the Little Mermaid lore that borrows more from mythology. I’m a sucker for that shit. But that Scuttle song/rap was really fuckin extra tho, especially after seeing that with the original version still fresh in my mind lol and maybe the Eric song too. Idk that song just gave me vibes of the Beast’s solo song in live action Beauty and Beast, and I thought that one was completely unnecessary. Like even the instrumental arrangement of it sounded a lot like the Beast song at points for me. It just seemed very recycled to my ears. The romantic aspect was a huge improvement over the original. Their chemistry gelled a lot better which added more weight to their inevitable team up against Ursula at the end. For an adaptation that adds a whole extra hour onto the original’s runtime, I really kinda didn’t feel it on first watch. There’s definitely added stuff but it went pretty much the same pace as the original did for me. Which is weird, but a good thing in my book since it means I wasn’t really bored watching it. Like, I noticed and felt that longer runtime when watching Aladdin, Lion King and Beauty and the Beast. I hope Disney’s future live action endeavors end up more like this one.

Spider-Man: Across the Spiderverse, fuckin cherry mang.

The Boogeyman: pretty good for a pg-13 horror, especially one with some actual good built up scares.

Edited by Old Man Jenkins

Exercised my Regal Unlimited privileges by pulling a double feature of Transformers: Rise of the Beasts and The Flash. I thought Rise of the Beasts was an awesome follow-up to Bumblebee. The story and emotional element may not be as strong as Bumblebee’s, but it was still an overall strong installment for this franchise. Great action, great lines, seeing Maximals on the big screen and getting some long overdue spotlight was awesome. Though I wish they had Cheetor and Rhinox do more, like, I don’t think Rhinox had even one line of dialogue which was very off to me since he was one of the cooler characters in Beast Wars and one of the OGs alongside Cheetor. Also wish we got to spend more time with Airazor to give her overall arc more oomph because she was cool whenever the movie decided to focus on her. They also pulled a particular page out of Revenge of the Fallen’s playbook that I kinda rolled my eyes at. Beast Wars was one of the first cartoons that I ever followed religiously at a very young age (and was the first Transformers thing I was ever exposed to), so I got kinda teary eyed at parts because nostalgia is a hell of a thing. The ending tease was fucking wild, I personally didn’t see that coming at all. Has me intrigued to see where it all goes in future installments, but it also makes me wonder just how the hell does Bay’s movies even still connect at this point. Here’s to The Maximals getting a spin-off of some sort that plays into their conflict with the Predacons more.

The Flash was pretty good. It had a slow start but once it gets to where it needs to go, things pick up. Like other Muschietti movies I’ve seen it seems. Fundamentally as a superhero movie, I liked it more than a lot of Marvel’s recent slate (Multiverse of Madness, Love and Thunder, Quantumania), as well as the DCEU’s last two offerings. Emotional story beats hit pretty hard, tho I’m speaking as someone who also lost a mom so that kind of stuff will always get me. Keaton’s Batman might not be my ideal live action Batman as much as he is to others, but he did awesome here with what he was given. Sasha Calle was a pretty dope Supergirl too and it kinda sucks this is most likely the end of the road for her. There’s things that Flash/Barry does that can make things awkward considering the person who’s playing ‘em. The CGI is whack as all hell, but that just seems like par for the course with these kinds of movies at this point. Made it more entertaining for me at least. The Flash was definitely the weaker film between it and Rise of the Beasts for me, but it’s still decent. Don’t know how dat ending will play into absolutely anything at this point going forward, but it’d be an ironically fitting end to such a chaotic chapter in DC films. The next time I pull a double feature will probably be the much fabled Barbie/Oppenheimer one.