• Advertisement

What'd ya last watch? (Movies)

terminoob

Sonic the Hedgehog: This was really enjoyable. I don't consider myself too big of a Sonic fan, I'm much more of a Crash Bandicoot and Spyro the Dragon fanboy myself, but this movie was very serviceable. There's so much for any fan of the franchise to look out for as far as easter eggs and references goes. Jim Carrey is just prime Jim Carrey here and that's all I can ask for as a huge fan of his since I was a kid. One part of his in particular had me marking out at the song choice. Definitely left me wanting more by the end of it, and if that box office turnout means anything, then more is what we're gonna get. Like Detective Pikachu last year, this movie pleasantly surprised me. Now let's get the original design cut when it's released on blu-ray or somethin.

Brahms: The Boy II: This movie has no right or reason to exist. It's as soulless as the the demonic doll when it comes to being a cash grab. Legit January horror movie material. Completely undermines the first movie, which I personally enjoyed when I first watched that in theaters. It's dull asf, very little to no genuine scares. I wished they went a more psychological route, cuz when the movie was following that route, it at least had some of my attention. And the ending could've been slight bright spot, but they end up squandering whatever potential that it had real quick. It's kinda hard to believe it's by the same writer/director of the first movie since he went completely out of his way to retcon the shit out of it in order to make this sequel, I guess, more like what audiences expected the first one to be. It was basically a crappy what-if scenario. Bless Katie Holmes and that guy from The VVitch for putting in the most effort here and working with what they were given, they both deserve better.

Batman Ninja: This was honestly really great. Can't believe it took me this long to finally watch it since it's been on my radar since it got released. The main art style kinda reminds me of Fist of the Blue Sky's which quite a few people didn't favor in that series, but I thought they did well with it here and it matches the aesthetic quite well. This very much felt like a love letter to Japanese culture in general, both past and present. Like, there were even some mech fights thrown in here and I sure didn't expect that shit, so that was really cool. Kinda wish some of the other villains got some more shine in as feudal, specifically Deathstroke cuz that guy would thrive in an environment like that.

My Hero Academia: Heroes Rising

Edited by Old Man Jenkins

RoboCop (1987): One of my all time faves that still holds up for me til this day. One of the inspirations for S(lums)BU and Post Fiction right here.

Call of the Wild (2020): I'm a sucker for dog movies, so I really liked it. I know the CG is a turn off for some, but I could see why they went that route, as expensive as going that route was.

Beach Rats.

Honestly, like...I was quite invested in the movie and definitely wanted to know what would happen to the protagonist, Frankie, but while he was a very interesting character, the ending just completely ruined everything. You spend a good 90 minutes with Frankie as he seemingly comes to terms with his sexuality as he goes about his days hanging around his asshole friends, smoking and doing drugs, dealing with his dad's health/death persueing a relationship with a girl called Simone, and hooking up with gay guys he contacts through one of those weird cam sites. And then...

...once you think they'll actually get to a resolution, it's over.

Instead you've just spent an entire movie following this young man about his live during one summer. It feels inconsequential. He's likeable enough I suppose, especially compared to his friends, but the movie is confusing because it just dangles all these details about his life in front of you and there they stay. It's definitely trying to be one of those LGBT movies. The ones that end tragically for the protagonist. Except under no circumstance does it earn that right since Frankie's never put through any major conflict anyway? His father dies, but that's in the first half hour, and then he continues his life as usual as if the father's death was an accessory.

But yeah, I'm seething a little over the ending, where it just cuts out once Frankie looks out at the beach where his friends (are at least implied to have) killed a guy from the site Frankie was going to hook up with in order to steal his drugs. I thought this hook-up guy would turn Frankie's life around and act as a changing point for him since he was a pretty sweet guy and Frankie also knows this, but no. He's killed off too and the movie decides it's over once Frankie supposedly feels remorse for a character we've only seen on screen for like five minutes. This film isn't full of cheap moves like that...because it is a cheap move in and of itself.

I can't bring myself to hate the movie though; it was captivating, I can give it that. But once you realize it's over it's just so..."feh." Everything outside of it ending unexpectedly is pretty solid, and if it was longer (or didn't kill that guy off), it could've been better by giving Frankie a satisfying conclusion to the story. Hell, it doesn't even need to be a happy ending; you can still aim for a tragic gay film provided you actually have an ending that makes sense.

Holding the Man - Gay biopics are definitely something I'd rather avoid than actually watch but honestly this one caught me eye and I'm glad it did. It's about Tim Conigrave and his long time lover John as they go through 15 years of a relationship as well as them dealing with AIDs and being tested positive. The only thing that kind of bugged me about this movie is its commitment to using the same two actors to portray Tim and John in their teens, 20's and 30's, but particularly the teenager stage since both actors, while both quite attractive men, look too old to successfully pull it off like the 20-somethings in your favorite DCOMs and it shows. But this movie made me cry in its third act and was definitely a more successful tragic love story than Beach Rats could ever accomplish.

I Am Jonas - A admirable French film about a man reliving the traumatic memories of his first boyfriend as his past catches up to him. The movie does alternate between Jonas' past with Nathan and his present-day life, and it begins to tell you what kind of dark secrets are being hidden from the audience. There's not really much to say here, but I will say that this is my favorite of the ones I've seen on Netflix thus far. Comparing this to Beach Rats, I Am Jonas definitely ends in a way I think Beach Rats was aiming for; an ending that's poetic, but the feeling of sadness still lingering around for its protagonist. It ends on a note that's so much more than satisfying. But as a whole, I Am Jonas is a thing of beauty, with a really great cast; my favorites being both teen and adult Jonas.

A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood 

This movie was tear-jerking, beautiful, and just plain lovely. Tom Hanks may not have the iconic Mr. Rogers voice, but he certainly did a great job embodying his spirit. Matthew Rhys was pretty damn good as well.

Emma.

Loved this! Such a fun, witty, sweet period romance. Anya Taylor-Joy and Johnny Flynn had hella chemistry. And the music and fashion? *chef’s kiss* 

Miranda Hart was also a highlight; I loved her character. You laugh at her but end up really feeling for her ❤️

Edited by Katniss
  • Like 1

In continuation to my last post, I last watched the next two sequel Lone Wolf and Cub movie "Baby Cart to Hades" and "Baby Cart in Peril". Sucks that TCM aren't gonna be showing the last two movies anytime soon, apparently. If they're all in the Criterion Collection, I might just get em one of these days.

Via streaming: The 2019 live-action movie "Yesterday". I did the counting; Lennon/McCartney had 22 songs that they wrote in it, George Harrison had 3, and Ringo Starr didn't get a single SONG in there! I mean, it's like, "Dude, Where's HIS Respect?!" Granted, he didn't write anywhere NEAR the plethora of songs the other three wrote, but they could've at LEAST humored him by including "Octopus' Garden", or even "What Goes On" if they wanted a Lennon, McCartney, Starr composition. That's my only REAL complaint about the movie, though. Enough said.

Via TV, if it counts: "Tom & Jerry Back to Oz", I was actually REALLY surprised; for a sequel to a Direct to D.V.D. animated movie, based on a movie which Tom & Jerry weren't even ORIGINALLY in, this one managed to FAR exceed my expectations, in the fact that it was WAY better than the original! For starters, not only did they come up with ORIGINAL songs for this movie, they also wrote an ORIGINAL plot! The plot, is LOOSELY based around Book #3 of the "Oz" series (Yes, there IS more than ONE "Oz" book, fourteen OFFICIAL "Oz" books to be precise), in which the Gnome King is after Dorothy's Ruby Slippers, because he wants to bury the Emerald City underground, for petty, greedy reasons, so Dorothy, Tom, Jerry, and Dorothy's friends return to Oz using Oz, the Wizard's balloon. This movie even managed to be more politically correct, in the fact that it HAD some African American people in it (in the Kansas section of the movie, but BETTER than nothing), and one of them had an Oz equivalent in the Jitterbug, a character ORIGINALLY intended for the ORIGINAL "The Wizard of Oz", but cut out due to constraints of time and budget. They even REVIVED "The Jitterbug" song originally written FOR that movie, which means this is the FIRST time "The Jitterbug" song has actually been featured IN a movie! They DID gender invert the character called The Very Hungry Tiger, but I think they did it so that Dorothy WASN'T the only major female presence in the movie, and to give The Cowardly Lion a potential love interest. I really loved this movie, and I highly recommend it, as the BEST "Tom & Jerry" animated movie I've ever seen! Enough said, true believers!