• Advertisement

What'd ya last watch? (Movies)

terminoob

The culmination of several theater trips throughout the last month or so.

Ready or Not: Awesome movie, like Cabin in the Woods level of good dark comedy. The lore driving the film's events is also very interesting, definitely wouldn't mind seeing it be expanded upon.

Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark: Perfect horror film to introduce the kiddies to the genre with. The only adaptation I was really underwhelmed by was "Harold", but the rest really held up and the monster designs were just fantastic, as to be expected with Guillermo del Toro involved. And the 60's aesthetic and overall atmosphere they crafted here was perfect for a film like this. There's a whole bunch of other scary stories I'd like to see play out on the big screen, so I really hope to see a sequel in the future.

The Farewell: Whirlwind of emotion, this one. Hits especially hard for me since my own grandma has been really slowing down in her age in recent years and she's been dealing with health problems of her own. Awkwafina really broke her mold and shined here. Definitely would recommend this to anybody.

Dora the Explorer: This was actually a lot better than it had any right to be. Like, just about Detective Pikachu level of surprisingly good. I was still watching Nick Jr. around the time that the original series came about back in like 2001/2002 and I still remember most episodes of that time quite well, and I have to say they did a good job in capturing the essence of the original cartoon and working it around to fit their live action world. There's one scene in particular that brought the biggest smile to my face that I think any fan from back then will appreciate.

Good Boys: It's pretty much Superbad with younger kids. There's some good laughs and a decent moral to be had. It really makes you think back to the time when you were that age and the friends you had back then. The kid playing Lucas was definitely the breakout star of the trio, but I could honestly relate to Thor.

The Kitchen: Widows this was not. The trailer got my attention because I'm a sucker for crime movies like this, but yeah, didn't really turn out that good. 

The Haunting of Sharon Tate

Worst Movie of 2019. Like I will be shocked if something comes out that is more terrible than this because god bless this movie was incompetent and tasteless.  One of the worst movies I might have ever seen.

Angry Birds 2: It was good. Lots of good laughs, I enjoyed the baby birds' antics, I like how they expanded upon Mighty Eagle's backstory, I ship the seal (which is probably the cutest thing in this movie) and the dog. The story kinda dragged at times, but that's really all I've got to complain about.

IT Chapter Two: I liked it, thought it was a satisfying conclusion to everyone's stories. Could've benefitted from some fat trimming, could've used more genuine and more psychological scares like the scene with the little girl under the bleachers (but that old lady tho, probs the scariest of the new brew of forms that It takes here, and the rest weren't really that scary to begin with, but one straight from the book did make me mark out). There was quite a bit of misplaced humor that sorta devalued some scenes. One scene in particular made me think I was watching Deadpool at one point, but when the comedy does land, boy does it land. Bill Hader as adult Richie has been getting a lot of praise, all of which is very well deserved, but I really think James Ransone deserves some love too for his contributions as adult Eddie. The final defeat of Pennywise could've gone a bit better (I didn't like how the Ritual of Chud and the events leading to it felt like nothing once it was said and done). Wanted to love it as much as I did with, say, Ready or Not or even the first chapter, but it's still another good showing from your favorite killer clown from outer space.

Rocketman

really liked this. It had these cool, surreal visual touches that set it apart from being a typical musician biopic. Taron Egerton was a solid Elton John and has an amazing singing voice. Richard Madden was hot af had very good chemistry with him. And the musical numbers were a delight for a musical lover like me. This movie definitely put a smile on my face!

Bring It On

finally watched this iconic movie. stan Kirsten Dunst, Gabrielle Union, and Eliza Dushku. Jesse Bradford is bae. Just a really fun film; two thumbs all the way up.

edit: saw Hustlers today. SO GOOD. Really funny but also affected me emotionally. Great cast, especially Jennifer Lopez. Give ?? her ?? an ?? Oscar ??

Edited by Katniss
  • Like 1

Before Sunrise

This was a really cute and beautiful film. I really believed the romance and chemistry between Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy even though their characters only knew each other for a day. There isn’t much of a plot but their conversations were fascinating enough to carry the whole thing. There’s two other films in the series, so I’m excited to see how things further develop between Jesse and Celine.