• Advertisement

What'd ya last watch? (Movies)

terminoob

The live-action version of "The Lion King". Don't get me wrong, the movie looks ABSOLUTELY amazing, and they actually got RID of most of the "Big Lipped Alligator Moments" in the animated film, only to put in one NEW one, and revise another one to make it even MORE out of place! :rolleyes: I'm glad they explained some of the plot elements a little better, as far as the back-story and exposition go; but if I'm being completely honest, this film felt WAY too safe, considering that Jon Favreau was directing it! o.o I mean, I haven't heard of a movie re-make being MORE shot for shot, since the 1998 version of "Psycho"! I mean, COME ON; this is FREAKING Disney!!!! :hysterical: You could've turned in something REALLY cool and out of place, and even if, in the unlikely event, it bombed, Disney would STILL be like in the top TEN richest companies in the entire world, MINIMUM!!!! You could honestly WATCH the animated original and feel like you're not missing out on anything major! Oh, well. Here's hoping the "Mulan" re-make will feel MUCH more original! :D Enough said, true believers! :cool:

• Wow 1

Lion King (2019): I guess The Jungle Book retains its title as best Disney live-action remake yet again in my book. Shame since it gave me such faith in this one. Even the voice performances here didn't feel too inspired (outside of Timon and Pumbaa, I guess), which sucks for me to say.

Once Upon a Time...in Hollywood: Definitely not Tarantino's best, but still a solid outing that I would say is worth watching if you're a fan of his work (and 1960's throwbacks) like I am. Otherwise, it's worth skipping judging from some of the people that I could hear snoring during my showing. Or maybe just don't watch it in reclining chairs that's easy to fall asleep in idk they're quite comfy. Certainly didn't end in the way most people expected, but I wasn't really surprised by the liberties taken if some of his previous work like Inglorious Basterds is anything to go by. Between this and the Tarantino-esque film that was also based in the late 60s, Bad Time at The El Royale (which shared some glaringly similar musical choices with this film that I wrote off as just coincidence, but then they both ended up having the main villains [who are practically the same group of people, mind you] come out to the same exact song), I'd honestly have to say I enjoyed El Royale more.

On TV, the Made-for-TV Disney Movie, "Descendants 3", which was kind of bittersweet to watch, not just because it wraps up the "Descendants" trilogy, but also because one of the stars, Cameron Boyce, tragically passed away before the thing could be shown on the air. At least he got to help bring this story to a great finish. He was a promising young star, and he will definitely be missed.

Once Upon a Time...in Hollywood

A much needed good movie since I still had the sour taste of 2019 Lion King in my mouth from the past two weeks.  Not sure where I’d place it amongst Tarantino’s best, but definitely an improvement over The Hateful Eight.

• Wow 1

Hobbs & Shaw: Really good, turn off your brain, dumb fun. The Rock and Jason Statham's chemistry is stronger than ever, the action is stronger than ever (the shades of John Wick really shows at times), the villain is a nice step up from Fate of the Furious' villain and is about as over the top as you'd expect if you've seen the trailers, I could see why Vin Diesel would feel so threatened by it. There's also some cameos here and there that really makes me excited for potential future installments in this spinoff series. If they can keep the wacky Saints Row shit isolated to Hobbs and Shaw while keeping the mainline series at least somewhat more grounded, that'll be just awesome.

and while it's been a while since I watched this, I feel I should write something here for it

Child's Play (2019): Didn't go into this with much expectation, so that helped with digesting it without being blinded by nostalgia, as a longtime Chucky fan. I honestly thought this reboot was really well done. The whole killer AI thing clicked better than I expected and serves as a humorous social satire on our ever growing reliance on such things, the acting was really good, it did a good job in getting me invested into these characters and having me feel for them accordingly (the relationship between Chucky and Andy here especially blew me away, they really go down this heartbreaking route that they didn't really utilize as much in the original, which is even more impressive since Andy is older in this version), there's some good kills splattered in, and while not quite the Chucky you may be familiar with, Mark Hamill does a solid job in establishing this new iteration of the character while evoking shades of the original when he's allowed to be more sinister as the movie goes on. The comedy can fall pretty flat times with some awkward dialogue, but all in all, a very serviceable reboot. I highly recommend for newcomers to the series and longtime fans who are open to new flavors.

In movie theaters, "Once Upon a Time, In Hollywood". For the most part, the movie was a pretty accurate period piece. Only a couple of things that I would nit-pick, that don't make the movie 100% accurate to 1969. For instance, while Cliff was driving on the freeway, you can see an exit sign with the mileage number under it. Exit signs with mileage numbers wouldn't be introduced UNTIL 1987, and they wouldn't be adopted by California until the early 2000's at the earliest! o.o Also, when Cliff was working on top of Rich Dalton's roof, you can see the MODERN L.A. Freeway system, some of the freeways seen behind Cliff wouldn't be built until the EARLY 1980's! :rolleyes: Other than that, pretty good movie. I'd give the movie a 9 out of 10, not because it's Tarantino's ninth movie, but because of the errors I mentioned. I also saw "Static Cling" on Netflix, read "Rocko's Modern Life" is Back Topic for more information on that. Enough said! ;)

11 hours ago, 4EverGreen said:

For the most part, the movie was a pretty accurate period piece. Only a couple of things that I would nit-pick, that don't make the movie 100% accurate to 1969

you don't have to nitpick to find things that make it historically inaccurate.

• Like 2

I watched "The Angry Birds Movie 2", and I think that the curse of movies based on video games ALWAYS being bad, has FINALLY been broken! :D This is a GOOD movie, a surprisingly, REALLY good movie, that actually provides GOOD character development, and while there were a couple of (gross, questionable things) that I could have lived without, the bunch of retro songs within the movie definitely helped to bump the movie back up to a pretty good score. Rotten Tomatoes gave it a 74% approval rating, I would give it an 88/100 percent approval rating, only because of the gross, questionable things that I mentioned. Still, if "The Angry Birds Movie 2" can be THAT good, it gives me GREAT hope for the animated "Super Mario Bros." movie that is in the works! :cool: Enough said, true believers! ;)