• Advertisement

The SBC Community Mixtape #11

HawkbitAlpha

It's time again, y'all - time for a new entry in the SBC Community Mixtape! Right as the cold has finally gone away, and we're heading into the summer months, it's time that we once again fire up the musical blender and make some great smoothies. While the humidity outside continues to go up and up, let's try cooling off with this mixtape's theme:

SUMMER JAMS

For summer, maybe you feel like heading out on a vacation. Maybe you feel an urge to take a desperate, heat wave-induced leap into your closest water source. Maybe you just feel like chilling outside with a good drink in hand. Whatever it is, we want to know what you love to listen to during these sizzling parts of the year - the warmer-sounding, the better!

Of course, the rules:

• Length limits per person: you have a total of 30 minutes worth of music to play with. (This site is great for calculating the times.)
  • Try to post your submissions using a Spotify playlist. If this is not possible for you, at least make sure that all of your submissions are available on Spotify.
  • Joke/troll entries can and most likely will be excluded.
  • No repeat entries (can't submit the same thing as somebody else).
  • Most of all: have fun with it!

Tentative deadline for submissions is next Saturday, June 3rd. Now, please excuse me while I fail some more at keeping a pool clean.

Spoiler

HawkbitAlpha:
Feast & The Panturas - Gelora 
Joe Satriani - Summer Song
Coldplay - Adventure of a Lifetime
Los Lobos - Come On, Let's Go
I Can't Go On, I'll Go On (Bandslam) - Amphetamine
Hey Ocean! - Big Blue Wave
Sheryl Crow - All I Wanna Do
Gwen Stefani - The Sweet Escape

Steel Sponge:
Queens of the Stone Age - Feel Good Hit Of The Summer
Dick Dale - Misirlou
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Scar Tissue
Zara Larsson - Lush Life
Caroline Polachek - So Hot You're Hurting My Feelings
Childish Gambino - Feels Like Summer
The Woodies - K-55
Hole - Malibu

Fred:
The Beach Boys - Wouldn't It Be Nice
The Lovin' Spoonful - Do You Believe in Magic?
Blondie - The Tide Is High
Sheryl Crow - Soak Up The Sun
The Cars - Magic
Katrina & The Waves - Walking On Sunshine
Don Henley - Sunset Grill

ExKizuna:
Neck Deep, Laura Whiteside - A Part of Me
Daft Punk, Pharrell Williams, Nile Rodgers - Get Lucky
Deafheaven - Sunbather
Post Malone, Swae Lee - Sunflower
Dance Gavin Dance - Summertime Gladness
The Story So Far - Roam
Bryan Adams - Summer Of '69 (ha nice)

jjs:
Sting, Cheb Mami - Desert Rose
Chicago - Saturday in the Park
Frank Sinatra - Summer Wind - 2008 Remastered
The Beatles - Here Comes The Sun - Remastered 2009

• Wow 1

For once, I'm actually late to one of these things lel

This one went through a lot of changes before posting the final version, but I was ultimately inspired by the first line of the opening song, Martha and the Vandellas' "Dancing in the Streets"--"CALLING OUT AROUND THE WORLD"--to give this playlist more of an international vibe, which explains the inclusions of Brazilian bossa nova artist Joao Gilberto, Yellow Magic Orchestra, Selena, and 80s Spaniard rock band Radio Futura.

Track descriptions will be in spoilers once again, playlist is below the cut:

Spoiler

1. "Dancing In The Street" -- While I am admittedly more familiar with David Bowie and Mick Jagger's cheese-tastic cover version of this song from 1985, the original has a 60s Motown swagger that is hard to replicate and announces the beginning of summer with a lively, upbeat groove. Also, please forgive me for using "swagger" and "Jagger" in the same sentence like it's the early 2010s LMAO.

2. "Bad Habit" -- Finally, the TikTokers get it right with this one, even if I first heard this song on the archaic music format of FM radio, ironically enough lel. Controversies surrounding how much of the song was really popular enough to get to #1 on Billboard aside, Steve Lacy is in top form as a songwriter, producer, and arranger here, creating a chill summer jam for the ages.

3. "The Girl From Ipanema (Single Version)" -- One of the OG chill summer jams in modern pop music, with bossa nova influence coming from Brazil thanks to Joao Gilberto's lively yet easy-going guitar playing and Antonio Carlos Jobim's composing, with the musical arrangement just as breezy and graceful as the Girl described in the lyrics. Also, while Astrud Gilberto does a great job as the main singer, her husband Joao's humming at the beginning is Kid Cudi levels of iconic, just saying.

4. "Kimi ni, mune kyun. (Uwaki na vacances)" -- POST-1980 YMO IS UNDERRATED AS HELL AND NEEDS TO BE GIVEN ITS PROPER DUE HERE IN THE WEST. Top-shelf production and songwriting, with playful lyrics written in the band members' native Japanese by famed J-pop lyricist Takashi Matsumoto, about a fellow countryman falling in love with an Italian woman while on vacation by the sea. Good stuff, even if not as "out there" as their early material. Takahashi-san and Sakamoto-san, you will be missed.

5. "Rip It Up" -- Just an incredibly solid summer jam by Scottish post-punk group Orange Juice that went to #8 on the UK Singles Chart in 1983, yet did not replicate that success Stateside for reasons that can never be justified. Infectious and fun to dance and croon along to. Fun fact: this was the first charting single to use the Roland TB-303 synthesizer!

6. "Bidi Bidi Bom Bom" -- Iconic 90s cumbia from an iconic Tejana singer. Nuff said.

7. "Escuela de Calor" -- A lively and captivating mix of New Wave with funk rhythms a la Talking Heads, but filtered through Radio Futura's frontman, Santiago Auseron's Castilian accent and lyrics about the sparks that fly between two people on a summer night out on the town. It's all about learning in the school of heat, BAYBEEEE

8. "Ocean Man" -- This is a SpongeBob forum and none of y'all chose this, so imma just pick the obvious closer here lel :funny:. A fitting end to this colorful summer mixtape! ("The Mollusk" is just a great summer album in general, btw.)

• Like 1