• Advertisement

Best Game Console Generation?

SpongeOddFan

Best Game Console Generation?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Game Console Generation?

• Generation 1 (Odyssey, Home Pong)
    • Generation 2 (Atari 2600, Atari 5200, Odyssey 2, Intellivision)
    • Generation 3 (NES, Sega Master System, Atari 7800)
    • Generation 4 (SNES, Genesis)
    • Generation 5 (Nintendo 64, Saturn, PlayStation)
    • Generation 6 (Xbox, PlayStation 2, GameCube)
    • Generation 7 (Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, Wii)
    • Generation 8 (Wii U, Switch, Xbox One, PlayStation 4)
    • Generation 9 (PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X/S)

Generation 4 is the best in my honest opinion; even though you forgot plenty of other consoles that were part of that generation. The Turbographx-16, the Neo Geo, the Amiga, the Sega CD, and the 3DO for starters!

Gens 5 and 6 will both always have special places in my heart being such huge parts of my childhood, but I feel I was too young to really take in the full scope of Gen 5 and I kinda squandered my Gen 6 years by not branching out of my comfort zone and missing out on a lot of cool shit (both for family financial reasons and me just being too much of a dumb to look past the likes of Crash, Spyro, Tekken, DBZ, Soul Calibur, Kingdom Hearts, Grand Theft Auto). Gen 7 was the first time my family was able to eventually get all three of the main consoles and the sheer backwards compatibility of those early models allowed me to make up for lost gen 5 (mainly just the PS1 library) and 6 time throughout each of the PS3, 360 and Wii’s lifetimes on top of everything coming out during that time like Dead Rising, Assassin’s Creed, Dead Space, Mass Effect, Dragon Age, BioShock, Batman Arkham, Infamous, Prototype, Dragon’s Dogma, Uncharted, The Last of Us etc I could go on. I was old enough to fully appreciate and take everything in that I could. Not to mention that this generation is also home to the DS and PSP, the two things that made my school days more bearable and a lot more fun (for better or worse) thanks to online play and the DS’ very generous Download Play option that blew the Gameboys out of the water. Having a full GTA experience on the go, in the palm of your hands, WITH multiplayer is enough to give any generation the dub in my book.

• Like 2