• Advertisement

The SBC Community Mixtape #9

HawkbitAlpha

As I switch on all of the power and lights in the local arcade, and fire up Separate Ways on the jukebox, I'd like to welcome all of you to this, the 9th edition of the SBC Community Mixtape! This is the series of threads where we all get together, bring our music collections, and throw songs from them into a metaphorical melting pot. This time, we're making a mixtape to accompany Arcade Anarchy II, with an appropriate theme:

VIDEO GAME MUSIC

What's your favorite game soundtrack? Mega Man? Castlevania? The static from the LJN Video Art? Whatever it is, that's sort of what we're looking for here. We want to do to game music what the Namco Museum series did to classic arcade games in general. It could be music actually from a game, or something that's fan-made about games (like most songs by Miracle of Sound). With how many of us in this community are gamers of some stripe, this should be an interesting one!

The rules:

• Length limits per person: you have a total of 30 minutes worth of music to play with. (This site is great for calculating the times.)
  • Due to the nature of this theme, we need to be prepared to do things differently this time, with regards to Spotify. As with the previous Mixtapes, you should still try to post all of your submissions as a Spotify playlist. However, since this is game music, I expect that some will be unavailable on Spotify. If this is the case, still try to post as many as you can through a Spotify playlist, and list separately in your reply what else you wanted to add, but isn't available on the site. If we have any entries of this type, we'll be posting Community Mixtape 9 to Youtube instead of Spotify.
  • Joke/troll entries can and most likely will be excluded.
  • No repeat entries (can't submit the same thing as somebody else).
  • Most of all: have fun with it!

Tentative deadline for submissions is Saturday, March 11th. Until then, I'll be grinding out my score on Bosconian in MAME!

• Like 1

Okay! Really glad to be doing another one of these, so let's get these liner notes started already!

1. Danganronpa Super Mix (Super Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair): The theme song to the games in the Danganronpa franchise, remixed for the second game. 'Nuff said.

2. Escape from the City (Sonic Adventure 2): A delicious slice of childhood nostalgia. While I haven't really kept up with the Sonic games, nor am I very knowledgeable about Sonic lore, playing SA2 during my preteen days made for some good memories.

3. Hard Times - The Jetzons (Sonic the Hedgehog 3): Now, you're probably saying: "Maniac! This is an 80s synth-rock tune! Are you sure you weren't thinking of Hawk's last mixtape instead???" Let me explain by first asking a question: does anyone remember the rumors that the King of Pop himself, Michael Jackson, did the music for one of the OG Sonic the Hedgehog games? Well if you do, those rumors actually turned out to be true in a sense, because Jackson's touring keyboardist in the early 90s, Brad Buxer, did contribute some of the music for Sonic the Hedgehog 3. The thing is, Buxer was also in a New Wave band called The Jetzons a decade prior, which is when this "Hard Times" song was recorded, with the song eventually becoming the music for Sonic 3's Ice Cap Zone level. If you still don't believe me, here's a YouTube video comparing the two songs:

4. Change of Coast - Neon Indian (Grand Theft Auto V): While the last Grand Theft Auto I ever played was Vice City, at an age when I really shouldn't have been playing GTA to begin with, this song--along with the rest of Neon Indian's music--just knocks my socks off!

5. Still Alive - GLaDOS and Jonathan Coulton (Portal): Admittedly, I haven't really played Portal and actually remember first hearing this song on a They Might Be Giants fan podcast as part of a "recommended if you like TMBG" section of the show. Even if I don't really understand the context of the lyrics, it's still a catchy song with plenty of black humor to go around.

6. Your Reality (Doki Doki Literature Club!): If you've never played this visual novel game, then I can't really explain why this song is such a tearjerker to me, it just is lel

7. Moon Over The Castle (Gran Turismo series): Fucking amazing theme song composed and originally performed by Masahiro Andoh of long-running Japanese jazz-fusion band T-Square.

8. I Squeezed Out the Baby, Yet I Have No Idea Who the Father Is - Masuna (Danganronpa fan song): Okay, so let me explain the context of this admittedly pretty saucy track. In Danganronpa 2, Ibuki Mioda is Hope's Peak Academy's Ultimate Musician. In one of the chapters of the game, the Hope's Peak students discover a music venue on one of the tropical islands they're stuck in (I kinda have to be vague on plot details because spoilers lel), so of course, Ibuki does a concert. After performing a cacophonous metal song (which does appear in the game itself, it just isn't on Spotify), she announces her next tune, "I Squeezed Out the Baby, Yet I Have No Idea Who the Father Is," yet before she can play this ridiculously-titled song, more plot stuff happens. So, this track is one fan's idea of what this song would actually sound like had Ibuki performed it. While I applaud the commitment to a throwaway gag, I will say that this song is not for the faint of heart when it comes to the lyrics - the explicit tag is there for a reason lel

9. Atlantis - Lobby and Level 1 - Caught in Paradise (Glover): While I couldn't find the original soundtrack for this admittedly obscure Nintendo 64 title on Spotify, playing Glover on the N64 with my mom is one of my earliest gaming memories, and while I prefer the aquatic synths in the original recording, these guys do a great rock-fusion version and it seemed like a good way to end my contribution to this mixtape.

--

Also, as sort of a bonus track, I'd like to recommend De La Soul's contribution to the Parappa the Rapper 2 soundtrack, "Say 'I Gotta Believe!'" featuring amazing vocals from Japanese RnB artist Double! I couldn't find the song itself on Spotify (and wouldn't have had to space to include it regardless), but the song (and its music video!) are available on YouTube if you want to look them up.

• Like 1