• Advertisement

279. Welcome to Binary Bottom / You're Going to Pay...Phone / A Skin Wrinkle in Time

Jinjo

Premieres: Friday, January 13th at 7pm ET/PT

Plots:

Welcome to Binary Bottom: In an alternate reality, Bikini Bottom is inhabited entirely by robots.

You're Going to Pay...Phone: Mr. Krabs installs a cursed payphone in the Krusty Krab.

A Skin Wrinkle in Time: GrandPat travels through time to get home.

These will be part of the Tidal Zone event. These are basically being treated like a special so may as well have these three together in one thread.

Clip: 

I'm not exactly sure WHO has the final call on which segments get the most amount of time in any given episode of "Spongebob Squarepants", but somebody REALLY dropped the ball on this one! "Welcome to Binary Bottom" lasted the longest, but it was by FAR the LEAST interesting and LEAST innovative in terms of what it did with its "Tidal Zone" premise! Honestly, the only REAL different things about "Binary Bottom" is that since Plankton is now a robot in "Binary Bottom", that means that Karen is now flesh and blood, meaning we FINALLY get to see what Karen looks like as a flesh and blood creature! And the other thing is that Sandy's robotic counterpart is a crazy, "Terminator"-esque head who wants to assimilate all the other robots in Binary Bottom! / "You're Going To Pay...Phone" utilized it's concept the best out of the "Spongebob Squarepants" segments. It shows what would happen if Mr. Krabs let the WORST of his 'Flanderized' behavior take control of him, as he irresponsibly takes a FREE Cursed Pay Phone (because the Curse was ALSO free) despite being warned by the Klopnodian sea star that it WAS cursed! Mr. Krabs gets hypnotized, first into giving away Free Patties, than his money, than the Krusty Krab! And he STILL keeps going back to the pay phone, because it gave him a QUARTER the first two times somebody called him! But when he doesn't get a quarter the third time, he opens up the pay phone to find out that a DEMON has been operating the phone! (Demon's are now CANNON to "Spongebob Squarepants"!) The Demon winds up placing Mr. Krabs into the pay phone! But if Mr. Krabs thought he was going to receive quarters with the pay phone, because he FOOLISHLY gave the Krusty Krab to Plankton, Plankton gets RID of the Pay Phone and puts it in the trash! Good thing for negative continuity on this one! /

"A Skin Wrinkle In Time" is the first segment to continue DIRECTLY after the last segment, as there's not even a commercial break between the two! By all rights, this segment SHOULD'VE had the best premise, but all it did was show Grandpat taking Spongebob's place in an intro variant of "Spongebob Squarepants", Grandpat winding up in the Wild West, than Grandpat winding up back home, only to find that the rest of his family are now flying insects, only to reference one of "The Simpsons" "Treehouse of Terror" segments, that it's, "Close Enough" / I'd rank "Welcome To Binary Bottom only a 4.4 out of 10, "You're Going To Pay...Phone" a 9.8 out of 10, and "A Skin Wrinkle In Time" only a 7.1 out of 10. Enough said, true believers!

This is definitely the best SpongeBob special/event in many years imo depsite this being seperated into five loosely connected but individual episodes of each SpongeBob show.

Welcome to Binary Bottom:

While I agree that the episode didn't take the whole robotic city to its advantage and the premise was rather a simple chase episode, I still had a blast with it. I loved the cool tech locations, the episode's tech jokes, the robot characters' designs and all that jazz. I especially loved what they did with Karen and Sandy here with Karen being an actual fish instead of a robot like in rest of the show and Sandy being this giant head that merges with people (evangelion?) and becomes a mecha robot. My only problem with this episode is that it didn't need to keep the glitch repeating voice joke running, that got old so fast. Otherwise, really fun episode.

Grade: A-

You're Going to Pay...Phone:

My favorite of the bunch. I love a good ol' Mr. Krabs being greedy having disasterous consequences and this episode executed it well, in fact, too fucking well. Mr. Krabs charging people for payphone only for him to be brainwashed by the phone to be the most generous krab he can be. You'd expect this episode would end with SpongeBob figuring out what's wrong and Mr. Krabs coming on top after Plankton gets the Krusty Krab deed from him but no actually, it gets worse. I fucking loved the twist of a demon controlling the payphone and being stuck there only for him to switch trades with Mr. Krabs after him opening the payphone and Mr. Krabs being stuck there with being the operator on payphone and you'd think Mr. Krabs reached his own heaven with getting coins but it still doesn't end there as Plankton, now the owner of Krusty Krab tossing away the payphone and Mr. Krabs being stuck in the dump. That was one of the bleakest endings to the show and I loved that and on the plus side, Plankton actually won in the main show, who would have thought?

Grade: A

A Skin Wrinkle in Time:

Not too much to say here except I do love a good time travel episode with traveling inside the timeline itself. Grandpat's journey from The Patrick Star Show ends here with amazing results. Going too far to be stuck in a cowboy flick and then him dragging out another cowboy accidentally and it was so weird and bizarre I enjoyed it. And of course this ending with Grandpat being stuck in a universe where his family are bunch of flies and being ok with that was a good way to wrap up the episode even if It felt same to the ending of a classic The Simpsons Treehouse of Horror segment.

Grade: A

I didn't watch Kamp Koral Tidal Zone episode and probably won't do it (unless I do it out of curiousity, if that happens, I won't talk about it on the forum) but as a whole, this special was bangers and some of the best SpongeBob content in a while.

Event Grade: A

Welp, now I have to say this but I'm basically done with talking about SpongeBob episodes on this forum now. I have a feel this special is the right way to cap it off because while I do still enjoy watching the show, talking about each episode indivudually and going in depth about it (actually I don't analyize and do actual proper reviews of these episodes but you know what I mean) is not exactly worth my time anymore as post-sequel has been mostly consistent in quality these days (varies from being whatever to really good with little bad), so I don't have anything else to say about each episodes other than be repetitive and I just don't enjoy doing these reviews this much anymore. Maybe I'll do guest reviews for special episodes or those paramount+ movies coming out eventually but as of know, I think I'm ok with leaving my SpongeBob review journey with The Tidal Zone episodes. Take care everyone.