• Advertisement

The SBC Community Mixtape #4

HawkbitAlpha

Didn't think it would be back again so soon, but I think we're on a roll now. So here goes!

Welcome again to the SBC Community Mixtape! If you haven't taken part in it by now, this is where we gather around the campfire and sing our Campfire Song to pool together big stockpiles of songs, and with it, introduce each other to new music and artists. To carry on the practice of giving our mixtapes some consistency, our theme this time is:

Play That Funky Music

Picture, if you will, that George Clinton is asking you to host a modern-day funk radio station. Your job is to broadcast the groovy sounds descended from slap bass and soul singing to the world. This could be anything from the classics of Kool & the Gang and Parliament-Funkadelic, to the synth-heavy sounds of Cameo and Zapp & Roger, to the genre-blending styles of RHCP and Primus. What do you choose?

As always, the rules:

• Length limits per person: you have a total of 30 minutes worth of music to play with. (This site is great for calculating the times.)
  • Try to post your submissions using a Spotify playlist. If this is not possible for you, at least make sure that all of your submissions are available on Spotify.
  • Joke/troll entries can and most likely will be excluded.
  • No repeat entries (can't submit the same thing as somebody else).
  • whoever adds Uptown Funk will be stared at, awkwardly
  • Most of all: have fun with it!

Tentative deadline for when submissions to this will close is this coming Saturday, September 24th, but as always, I might knock it back if I feel it's necessary.

Let's get down, get down, y'all!

Spoiler

HawkbitAlpha:
*Wild Cherry - Play That Funky Music
*Kool & the Gang - Jungle Boogie
*Living Colour - Memories Can't Wait
*Stevie Wonder - Pastime Paradise
*Edwin Birdsong - Cola Bottle Baby
*The Routine - If It Feels Right (live, 2019 Jam in the Van)
*Cimafunk, George Clinton - Funk Aspirin

Steel Sponge:
*Earth, Wind, & Fire - September
*Stevie Wonder - Higher Ground
*Afrika Bambaataa, The Soulsonic Force - Renegades of Funk
*Jane's Addiction - Been Caught Stealing
*Red Hot Chili Peppers - Dark Necessities
*Muse - Panic Station
*Funkadelic - Hit It and Quit It

jjsthekid:
*Lipps Inc. - Funkytown
*Kool & the Gang - Celebration
*Red Hot Chili Peppers - Can't Stop
*Earth, Wind, & Fire - Fantasy
*Red Hot Chili Peppers - Under the Bridge

• Like 1

While there are three funk classics here (y'all can guess which ones), I decided to go a bit left-field with my other two picks, which is why Mancunian post-punk band A Certain Ratio and Compton rapper Kendrick Lamar are on here, to show the influence of funk on genres where you might not expect it. Also, the fact that no one had chosen a James Brown song yet is just criminal. 😛

Anyway, here's my picks:

Edited by SBManiac
Did not know links were automatically embedded here.