• Advertisement

274b. Sea-Man Sponge Haters Club

Jinjo

Season 13 has been getting better and better with episodes like this and Big Bad Bubble Bass. I fucking loved the creativity of this episode exploring POV of characters who were annoyed by SpongeBob. It already felt like a much better version of Gone. My favorite has to be Mrs. Puff's story which was animation feast. I loved seeing the horror track coming back this time around in that. But other stories were so much fun too. Plankton's SpongeFly story was pure hilarity and nonsensical in a good way. Dynamite toilet paper? Always good for blowing up Bikini Bottom. Bubble Bass' story was like a reverse Pickles which Bubble Bass didn't require perfection but SpongeBob kept insisted. And Squidward's story taking place at the moment was so cleverly done with Patrick being added to mix. Of course everything goes sideways when SpongeBob and Patrick blow up Squidward's house and rest of members of the club had no place to share their thoughts on SpongeBob except SpongeBob's own house which was such a good irony. I loved the gag of SpongeBob presenting himself that they can use him as stress ball lol. It made me sad Squidward had to suffer at the end but I thought it worked in the context of the episode because SpongeBob always ruins Squidward's day and Squidward making a club about it only for it to blow up in his face was a good twist. What can I say more? This episode was one of the best episodes of post-sequel era.

Grade: A

This episode was a really good way to explore just how the different characters personally view Spongebob! Mrs. Puff views Spongebob as a "Ratfink" (never thought there would even BE such a reference on this cartoon), speed demon monster, who PURPOSEFULLY wrecks HER school for kicks, when we ALL know that is NOT remotely how it went down! Plankton viewing Spongebob as little more than an annoying bird, who nevertheless SOMEHOW manages to lock Plankton out of his OWN house and/or restaurant, when it was probably Plankton's OWN fault! Bubble Bass views Spongebob as CLOSEST to his ACTUAL characterization, and it's interesting to see a role reversal from "Pickles", where it was Spongebob WANTING perfection, and Bubble Bass not needing it! Interestingly, Bubble Bass was the ONLY one who was revealed to have TOLD (at least mostly) the actual truth, as his navel was STILL damaged from earlier! However, by this point, I think Squidward actually WANTS Spongebob to RUIN things for him, because Squidward could've SO very easily just gotten up OFF of the floor before Spongebob came back in, but Squidward just LAY there, and LET Spongebob trip on him, so I have NO sympathy for Squidward's house being destroyed! At least Spongebob was nice enough to let Norton the Mail Fish (and presumably the others Sans Squidward) use him as an emotional stress ball at his own house. Only downside is, we really didn't get to see Norton's story about Spongebob. However, I guess I would give this episode a 9.4 out of 10. Enough said, true believers!