• Advertisement

RIP Tv.com

Jinjo

It has come to our attention that tv.com, the site that birthed SBC, was recently shut down for good over the summer. They finally took Old Yeller out. Press F to pay respects. This means JCM's archive is also one of the only traces left of the site's existence.

While this was a long time coming and not a surprise at all, it is a lil sad given it was my first online community. Kind of crazy SBC has outlived it now. Feel free to give a toast or post any nostalgic memories here.

One important lesson I’ve learned: I’ll never drink a Dr. Pepper from Home Depot ever again, that’s for sure. :sadsb:

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

I joined tv.com way later than everyone leaving for sbc but I managed to find this site thanks to finding 22tigerdude in there and it really is sad to see how the site managed to lose popularity and died. I'll miss those memories I have had in there.

• Hug 1

Real bittersweet seeing the site go. TV.com was the first real online social media I ever had where I was actively part of a community. 

Also I guess there's no harm in admitting now that my password there was... password. Seriously.

Your guess is as good as mine how my account was never compromised. But I always found that hilarious. 😂

mel brooks GIF To paraphrase Rick Moranis: "What the h*** am I looking at?! When does THIS happen on TV.com?!" Colonel Sandurz: "Now, sir. You're looking at NOW. Everything that happens now, is happening NOW." Dark Helmet: "Go back to THEN!" Sandurz: "When?!" Dark Helmet: "NOW!" Sandurz: "Now?! I can't!" Dark Helmet: "Why?!" Sandurz: "We just passed it! We're at NOW, now!" Dark Helmet: "What happened to THEN?!" Sandurz: "When?!" Dark Helmet: "NOW!" Sandurz: "Now? We missed it!" Dark Helmet: "When?!" Sandurz: "Just now!" Dark Helmet: "When will then be now?" Sandurz: "Soon." Dark Helmet: "How soon?" / And FYI, I have NO idea what point I was trying to make with that whole conversation...something about missing out the site I started on, I guess! Enough said!

I think it was bittersweet the fact we were able to keep SBC alive after the chaos that happened in 2009. I honestly can't believe that SBC was originally just some place for banned TV.com members that turned into a community for all SB fans. It's pretty wild how some old members were able to stick around the forums and Discord.

Like TV.com was my first ever social experience on the site, and I made great friends on there. When SBC grew to become a community for SB fans, we got new users coming in like OMJ, Cha, Sauce, Kat etc. It's so nice to see everyone coming together, and I love this community. BTW, the fact SBC gave the middle finger to TV.com after the events in 2009 would end up being the final straw which would lead to us creating our own community.

RIP TV.com June 1, 2005 - June 28, 2021

A year late but figured I'd post anyway. Tv.com despite its shortcomings was essentially the beginning of my long internet journey.

I'll never forget the friends I made and the show and person guides I was editor of (9 shows and 13 person guides at my peak including FOP for a few months) as well as my contributions to the SpongeBob guide which I was a top contributor of. 

The tv.com staff members and mods might have been too strict and I recognize that as someone who actively posted blog entries and posted on the SpongeBob and Avatar forums. But in the end, they come in a distant second as the good memories will always surpass the negative ones. Tv.com was a good site despite everything, its a shame it had to be closed down but it is what it is.