• Advertisement

New SpongeBob Game Announced: The Cosmic Shake

Jjs Goodman

List of achievements:

https://www.trueachievements.com/game/SpongeBob-SquarePants-The-Cosmic-Shake/achievements

This also confirms what the 7 Wishworlds are:

• Wild West Jellyfish Fields
  • Karatetown (Downtown as a karate movie)
  • Pirate Goo Lagoon
  • Halloween Rock Bottom
  • Prehistoric Kelp Forest
  • Medieval Sulfur Fields (that's a deep cut location choice)
  • Jelly Glove World

game is pretty fantastic, main campaign is around 8 hours and moving around feels great + the levels are real fun!! lots of collectables. shit ton of deep cut references. fred is actually in the game referred to as fred and has lines talking to spongebob,,, shit crazy ^^

• God Himself 2

I was hoping for a game that was as fun and challenging as BFBB and The Movie game, and I definitely got what I wanted. It's a real challenge trying to 100% complete this game, and I did have fun with the gameplay and the story. If there were some things to complain about, it would be the bugs I encountered while playing that required me to close and reopen the game, and despite getting all the tokens and golden spatula, I didn't get anything else like a secret ending, which was a tad disappointing (unless I missed something). There's also the fact that the game doesn't let you leave in the middle of a boss fight or mission, which brings me back to the requiring to close and reopen the game.

Other than that, it was the best SpongeBob game in years. I do hope there's more. 

• Like 1

I've essentially milked out everything I could from the game, so here's my mini review. Overall, it was a satisfying and fun experience. It's the proper spiritual successor to Battle for Bikini Bottom we all wanted that gave enough of a unique spin without feeling like glorified DLC. One reviewer put it best: It was basically Battle for Bikini Bottom's gameplay mixed with Creature from the Krusty Krab's acid trip. The WIshworlds felt decently large without being overwhelming and were brimming with creativity. Backtracking for the gold coins was never a chore thanks to the fast travel checkpoints. My favorite worlds were probably Karate Downtown and Medieval Sulfur Fields. Kassandra was an entertaining antagonist who shows you can do a game without Plankton as the antagonist. The costumes were cool to collect, although I hope next game if they keep the concept around, they're given unique gameplay advantages like Revenge of the Flying Dutchman attempted. You can tell Purple Lamp's employees must be terminally online SB fans with the amount of episode references they snuck in, there were some real deep cuts. (like Gary in Love of all episodes lmao) If anyone from Purple Lamp is reading, good job. Only issues were: the seahorse controls were slippery, some of the bosses were kinda whatever (although man King Gary really had it out for me) and the performance was unsurprisingly jank on Switch at times, but that's not the game's fault. Definitely the best SB game in a long time, even if the competition hasn't been much. This has me very optimistic about the future of SpongeBob gaming under THQ Nordic and Purple Lamp. Based on what they did with the hub world, I speculate whatever is next might go more open world.

Also hilarious that they gave SpongeBob Sonic's homing attack lol

• Like 1

I have never played SpongeBob video games in my life and this being my first time at it, I can say I'm glad this was my first SpongeBob game. Everything was a hoot here. Story was interesting and the fact that they went all the way with these worlds was glorious, I happened to enjoy all of them, even Prehistoric Kelp Shake which was the hardest world. It's oc villain Madame Kassandra is charismatric and joy. Our main characters were once again fun, extra shoutout to Squidward being a problematic director who was so funny in Karate Downtown. Gameplay was mostly strong in PC, my only complaint is that I can't press left and right key in certain challenges, so it kept bugging me (Whack-A-Glove challenge, I'm looking at you). Game looks very competently made. I enjoyed the side quests like finding Spot and so on. It was a really fun time and I would love to relive all over again (maybe not so for certain challenges heh). So yeah, SpongeBob fans should go and get this game. It's really damn good.

Grade: A

• Happy 1

The game will be coming to PS5 and Xbox Series on October 16th and has received a free update.

New Feature

Photo Mode! Apply one of 19 different filters to enhance your pictures.

New Costumes

• “King Doubloon” for collecting all doubloons is now available.
  • “Plush Gary” for unlocking all awards is now available.

Bug Fixes

• Fixed a rare bug where saving stopped working.
  • Fixed a bug where the playtime did not pause while on a loading screen.
  • Many general bug fixes to improve stability and playability of the game.