• Advertisement

Best Simpsons Episodes List

Honest Slug

This was an idea I've had on Carottecord for awhile now, but I do know that there's a decent amount of SBCers who are familiar with The Simpsons, so I figured I could let others participate in it as well. Basically this will work like with the best SB eps list, but for The Simpsons instead. Whether it will be a top 50, or a top 25, depends on how many lists I get and how low the threshold is. This is so we can account for any potential outliers, like, I don't want a situation where a bunch of episodes only have one person who submitted them.

Rules:
1.) Rank your top 25 Simpsons episodes just like we did for SpongeBob
2.) Who Shot Mr. Burns will only be counted as one episode, so instead of having parts 1 and 2 on your list separately, just combine the two as "Who Shot Mr. Burns" as you think as a whole.
3.) Deadline will be August 27th, but this can change if anyone needs more time.
4.) Submit your lists to me via Discord dm to me (Honest Slug), or you can message me on SBC itself.

• Happy 1

Hey, it's me, Honest Slug. And yes, this list is still alive. Truthfully, with how long this has taken, I figured that you guys are owed an explanation. You see that in the end we got a rather small sample size. Overall we got 9 participants. Dman, Wumbo, Hippy, WhoBob, Coffee, JJS, OWM, and Mythix all submitted lists, and I would like to thank each and every one of them for making this possible. I too also submitted a list, if that wasn't obvious. However, with 9 lists, that meant that this list ended up being extremely volatile, and the order very much could drastically change from just a single new submission. With this in mind, I knew some people who may have been interested in submitting a list, and thought I could try to delay the list to give them time to rewatch some episodes. I figured that if the list was going to be this volatile, any minor change could seriously make the difference, and therefore I think it made sense to try to get a larger sample. Unfortunately, none of the people I waited for ended up submitting any lists. I don't blame them, we have busy lives, but that's the explanation for why this took so long. If anyone didn't submit for this list ends up coming up with a list later, then maybe we can do a revised version later, who knows. For now however, this is final.

Anyways I should probably clarify how this list is structured. I was vague about how many episodes would be included because I really didn't know how many people would submit, and I didn't want to have a situation where we have a list where outlier episodes making it on despite only being on one list. Therefore, I wanted to see the final data before I came up with a specific number of episodes that would make it on. I ended up deciding on 25 episodes. Overall, I think this was the best cut-off to where each episode garnered at least a decent level of support. As for tie-breaking, if two episodes have the same number of points, I pick the one with more lists, if that doesn't work, I pick whichever episode had the highest ranker, if that doesn't work, I just pick my personal favorite.

Spoiler

25. The City of New York vs. Homer Simpson - 41 points

Frinkiac - S09E01 - SO LONG, MR. BOOT.

3 of 9 lists. #9 Hippy/Coffee

I think the general consensus is that season 9 is when the show began to dip a bit in quality. Some fans might argue that it started with season 8, but I feel like season 9 is when you start getting episodes that are actually seriously controversial. Principal and the Pauper is the obvious one, but even eps like Lisa the Simpson, Miracle on Evergreen Terrace, and Trouble With Trillions ignite debate today. With that said, I still feel like any reasonable definition of the classic era includes season 9, and episodes like this are part of why. There's been something of a trend in the show about having episodes revolve around the Simpsons going to a location, and these episodes began to become somewhat notorious for being incredibly bland and dry of substance. Simpsons Safari being an example that comes to my mind. However this episode was just brilliant in my opinion. Truthfully, I think that is in part because the episode is less about exploring New York, and more about watching Homer's tormented psyche be pushed to his absolute limit. He doesn't even venture much outside of his car, and when he does, let's just say it doesn't end well for him. I think the humor of this episode is actually somewhat similar to Rock Bottom in a way, as it seems like the entire universe is out to get Homer here, which makes it incredibly funny when he ends up going absolutely mad at the end.

Spoiler

24. The Springfield Files - 44 points

The Simpsons, Season Eight, Episode Nine, “The Springfield Files” – The  Avocado

3 of 9 lists. #3 WhoBob

I must admit that I'm not incredibly familiar with the X-Files, so I may not quite have the attachment to this episode that some others might have. However, this episode still works wonderfully because it's an episode that still stands on its own without the references. The fact that this is an X-Files crossover is just an extra bonus. What we are still left with is an incredibly funny Simpsons episode with a ton of memorable gags. My favorite probably has to be the moment where a sign that says "Die" is revealed to actually say "Diet". Of course, the latter is what scares Homer more. This also contains the classic "Needs more dog" joke. As far as crossover episodes go, I might slightly lean more towards "A Star is Burns" but this is still a very solid choice.

Spoiler

23. I Love Lisa - 49 points

14 reasons why Valentine's Day is the tool of the devil | JOE is the voice  of Irish people at home and abroad

4 of 9 lists. #8 Mythix

I'm quite glad this episode managed to sneak its way onto this list, as it's always been a personal favorite of mine. It manages to strike that sweet spot of both being incredibly funny and also full of strong emotional elements. I think what makes this episode stand out to me though is that it stars Ralph, a character who's purpose 99% of the time is simply to be the butt of all jokes. While Ralph still indeed has his fair share of moments to laugh about, I really appreciate how the writers managed to humanize him here, Ralph's characterization here manages to make you think more about him without changing a single aspect of his personality, in a way, it actually kind of makes me feel bad for laughing at the guy.

Spoiler

22. Lisa's First Word - 49 points

The Simpsons - Lisa's First Word - YouTube

4 of 9 lists. #1 WhoBob

This is our introduction to the flashback episode, a common genre of episode that produces many other gems, one of which made my list. Not this one though, although I did heavily consider it. These episodes were really great at exploring the more tender side of the Simpsons family. While the rest of the time we are shown Homer and Marge during their mid-life crisis phases of their lives, and Bart/Lisa are old enough to where they can begin to become cynical about things, here we see Homer/Marge back when they still had dreams, and Bart/Lisa with their soft spots more visible. It helps give insight on how this family still manages to survive after everything. Of course, most of what I just said can be applied to other flashback episodes, but I think the dynamic between Bart and Lisa here helps make this one stand out a lot, as the previous two mostly focused on the plights of Homer. The ending also has to be one of the sweetest in the show.

Spoiler

21. Rosebud - 51 points

The Simpsons" Rosebud (TV Episode 1993) - IMDb

5 of 9 lists. #9 WhoBob

A parody of Citizen Kane, but like with the Springfield Files, this is an episode where you don't have to be familiar with the source material to appreciate it. This was the first episode produced for season 5, beginning the Mirkin era of episodes. In my opinion this is really where the show's writing hit its stride, and this episode is a good example of that. While not as eccentric as some other Mirkin episodes later on, such as Deep Space Homer, the episode's writing still manages to be consistently witty. This episode isn't without heart either, which was probably the one aspect the Mirkin era lacked in compared to the Jean/Reiss and Oakley/Weinstein years. This helps make the episode a nice all-arounder that satisfies me from about every angle a Simpsons episode could.

• Like 6

Spoiler

20. Bart Gets an F - 51 points

spacer.png

5 of 9 lists. #7 Jjs

The very first episode of season 2, and also the oldest episode to make it on this list. Perhaps this is a spoiler, but no season 1 episodes made the list. That doesn't mean season 1 was bad, but it's understandable considering how much more refined the series would become. Those refinements can be seen as early as this episode. The animation is a monumental step forward for the series, the characters begin to feel much more alive now that they don't stare blankly into the air with fish-like eyes, and the backgrounds in general are just so much more detailed and polished here. Beyond that, Bart Gets an F is a great story that I think most people can relate to in one way or another. I could relate to Bart in the way that there are some subjects that I simply can't get the grasp of now matter how hard I seemingly try, and that struggle is replicated in a way that's both incredibly funny and emotionally investing. The ending where the Simpsons proudly display Bart's "D-" on the fridge has to be one of the greatest endings in the show, both being darkly hilarious and somewhat sweet at the same time.

Spoiler

19. Marge vs. the Monorail - 55 points

Rob Pyers on Twitter: "Unless... https://t.co/nxpe2jdaJb" / Twitter

6 of 9 lists. #11 WhoBob

This is usually one of the most common contenders that you see for the #1 episode of the entire show. So it really wasn't a surprise at all to see it make the list. I guess some people might be surprised it is at a relatively low position, but there is also a lot of competition, and I personally believe this is around the correct spot for the episode, as I had it at #24 on my own list. Either way, this is an incredibly good episode, one of the first that really dives into the realm of the absurd. This entire episode is just a vehicle for jokes, and whether it is Leonard Nimoy's incomprehensible ramblings, "I call the big one bity" or Homer's exchange with Marge about Batman's scientific credentials, they are all incredibly funny and come at a rapid pace. Even if some of the jokes have lost their luster after being quoted verbatim, the volume of jokes here is so large that even if some get old, there's always a couple that you don't remember that make the episode still fun to watch. I wonder when Lyle Lanley will get into NFTs.

Spoiler

18. Marge Be Not Proud - 56 points

Dec. 20 – The Simpsons: Marge Be Not Proud | The Nostalgia Spot

3 of 9 lists. #1 Dman

Weirdly, this episode does have some detractors. I think the vast majority of the fandom likes this one, but I do recall there was a vocal minority who consider this one of the first bad episodes, I think Dead Homer's Society was a proponent of that. I can't say I agree at all, as this has always been one of my favorites. Like Bart Gets an F, it deals with fairly relatable issues that help make the emotional elements feel more resonant. Even if you didn't specifically shoplift, I think most people had a moment in their life where they either did something that disappointed their parents so much to the point where it didn't look certain if the bridge could never be repaired, or they had a realization where they missed the sense of comfort that they used to have. Personally, I thought the scene where Marge just gives Bart a blunt "Good night" was one of the most emotionally powerful moments of the show for me. Bart getting sick of the babying from Marge in the beginning, only to miss that feeling of childhood support as it slowly whithers away, is a process I think most people have dealt with at some point on their path to adulthood.

Spoiler

17. Lisa's Wedding - 57 points

The Simpsons, Season Six, Episode Nineteen, “Lisa's Wedding” – The Avocado

5 of 9 lists. #9 OWM

This is the first future episode of the show, and it is also the best. With the possible exception of Holidays of Future Passed, I don't think any of its successors have come close in matching it. The future setting was very unique at the time, and it's fun to see the decisions that were made with the characters. I always liked the running gag about Maggie still staying silent (Despite the fact that she "Never shuts up") and how Millhouse is still butthurt over her after all these years. But most of all, I really liked the relationship between Homer and Lisa in this episode. While the episode begins with Lisa being somewhat annoyed by Homer's antics, Homer never does anything wrong besides being a bit goofy and not being regal enough for her boyfriend's tastes. That makes it feel earned when Lisa sides with her family in the end, unlike in some other episodes where Homer does something genuinely bad and is only forgiven for status quo reasons. Homer's entire speech at the end, as well as the ending where kid Lisa comes to appreciate conversation with her father, are incredibly heart-warming as well. I always liked classic era Lisa and Homer episodes a lot, so I also have a soft spot for this ep too.

Spoiler

16. King-Size Homer - 58 points

The Simpsons - Crazed Fat Homer Stealing Ice Cream Truck - YouTube

3 of 9 lists. #1 Hippy/Coffee

It's kind of difficult to come up with commentary on this episode when its comedy is self-evident in the very plot description. It feels like that in order to explain why this episode works I would almost have to go to lengths that are somewhat pseudo-intellectual and pretentious. Needless to say though, the idea that Homer would rather become morbidly obese than have to get out of his house in the morning is probably one of the most natural plots the show has ever come up with, and this results in a ton of great jokes that very much make it worthy of being included on this list. In particular, I will give a shout out to Bart's line at the end that, for once, Homer's butt prevented the spread of toxic gas.

• Like 5

My favorite thing that makes Lisa's Wedding so great is the emotional component--everything is obviously ridiculous in the Simpsons' future but you can tell how close the family still is and how that's carried them to where they are now. Whereas later on you got shit like Bart to the Future that has... none of that lmao. Holidays of Future Passed is the only other episode to match that as you've said. It's also very funny.

King-Size Homer and Marge v. the Monorail are just super fucking funny and quotable with stupid premises, which is all I need sometimes. The most emotional they get is Homer poking a keyboard with a stick.

Spoiler

15. Behind the Laughter - 60 points

hsUIPeTPcs5j7D1x3tYIuMUDqfZPFHcUtwlste7fC-4zh1t_l2G_CYa8VNY_l00tBR90U-qxDWwb3_OMvngKAMn2P9peyuYxHRUqpeM6NarIomi6G-fsmrBqGK0TD6Kc21DfkVN7

4 of 9 lists. #5 Dman

Here it is, the youngest episode on the list, making this the closest we have to representation of the "Modern" era of the show on here. Albeit, considering this episode released before I was even born, I don't know how modern this episode can pass anymore. Either way, season 11 is certainly past the show's golden age, so at least the inclusion of this episode shows there are things worth watching in the show past that point. I'd say this is one of the last "Essential" episodes of the show that anyone should see, and I often see it invoked as a possible finale episode. It's an incredibly unique episode, and unlike some later gimmick episodes, this one actually has substance to back it up. It's very humorous to see how the writers crafted a story where the Simpsons were real people ala "Behind the Music", and every route each member of the Simpsons family takes in their sordid careers feels very much in character. Whether it be Lisa asking where are her residuals or Bart going into rehab, the episode strikes a great balance in parodying the type of stuff you'd see in these documentaries while staying true to what the characters in the show are actually like.

Spoiler

14. Homie the Clown - 62 points

ZfxegQt2bezRIYB5DAKDSSd6A1FmFV-gBJTymTPjqj1sM5FdZxv72xf2l9Xg_DMC4KwT810n94M0uEQvJFC2xrEQ8IUDAuANDVFfZ5bzpW8t-LFpa3DNArx2XacUGhH6a1rq2XWt

3 of 9 lists. #1 Slug

As can be seen, this is my #1 episode. There's just something about this episode that I find absolutely hilarious from start to finish. There was always something special about Swartzwelder's scripts, even when they were bad, they were still distinctly his, hence how little they changed in the rewriting process. I think Swartzwelder's strengths as a writer were shown best in this episode. The comedic timing is absolutely top-notch in every single scene here. Scenes such as the one where Homer ruthlessly beats up the Hamburgler ("Stop, he's already dead") know how to linger just long enough to give the joke its maximum effect, while also knowing at what time to move on. Like King-Size Homer, it is somewhat difficult to describe what makes this episode work without just explaining all the jokes. This is simply an episode that just really appeals to me on a comedic level, every joke here is a complete banger from beginning to end.

Spoiler

13. Last Exit to Springfield - 65 points

JkeFItJsdksg5RC8b8HsoMjmWsKCh71M14pO0wbsYdBGW4dhJsbWL6wL7vdA7LWsoNHkUKAkgJecYxezz0whnRs-Z36cHsPuThMQ5-rhZO_XSRGzNoKyk_9uVwLamwYCsRk_op-s

4 of 9 lists. #1 Wumbo

This is another episode with absolutely impeccable comedy. There's something about Dan Castellaneta's performance here that I always found uniquely good, even for the standards of the time. Just about every single line Homer utters in this episode is perfect, and the entire scene where Homer questions what Burns' real motivations are when he's negotiating with him is golden. Homer's mental scream when he comes to his conclusion has to be my favorite he's ever done, it's just so good. Beyond this, the episode has a great underlining message about unions that gives the episode weight beyond its comedic factor. The episode takes jabs in typical Simpsons fashion (The episode is named after a book titled "Last Exit to Brooklyn" which is about the corruption of a union leader) but in the end the episode does come out on the side of organized labor, and I always loved Lisa's pro-labor song she does, especially the bit after all the lights come off and all the Nuclear Plant employees come together. Just an all-around fantastic episode, it's not hard to see why this is often in contention for best episode of the series.

Spoiler

12. Cape Feare - 66 points

s4_93TUZElUXzRzgqZSaJ2JNjMxqd-zSWaCuUnWBdNs6yGOQ9XbYoxOWmm06npKQ4zaNsVGr27P0DOO0lBqY8Cd7cxqcC5hBIXD7iWqkIF6fiZEF2_PzeHHRiypOKmB2gePSwuGj

4 of 9 lists. #2 WhoBob

Unlike most other Sideshow Bob episodes, Cape Feare mostly ditches any kind of mystery and detective work and instead opts for a fast-paced comedy romp not unlike episodes such as Marge vs. the Monorail. While I did like the mystery elements of other Sideshow Bob episodes, this one still has to be my favorite for just how consistent and memorable its comedy is. I think a lot of the most memorable Simpsons lines originate from this episode, like when Sideshow Bob explains that "Die Bart Die" is actually just German for "The Bart the" and it's not like anyone who speaks German could be a bad person! The animation here is also especially good, the part where Homer dropped in and out of Bart's room frightening him has always stood out to me as a scene with really excellent animation that helps sell the joke in a convincing way. That energy carries through the entire episode.

Spoiler

11. Summer of 4 ft. 2 - 68 points

85kngmAg_fp18J0KbTA-cuLwpbmaratICErKLfNtCJ0H-0c-O-6_tnvG21DncY4SFhWBB5DVtRCuGUBYaE3KTd6OefcUwCqM6KtSsVWBZ6Mi3yXr8PGU3MP7QNkd24upwM6A2dS7

4 of 9 lists. #2 OWM

This is an all-around great episode when it comes to exploring Lisa's character. Another example of an episode about the Simpsons kids where the central conflict is something quite relatable, namely, the desire to fit in. I always liked the commentary about how "Bad boy" Bart had become somewhat a dated product of his times, and seeing him being perceived as lame in comparison to Lisa's new identity was always a very interesting dynamic and helped set up this conflict about fitting in quite well. Over time I feel like this show has kind of forgotten that Lisa is supposed to be a kid, and often I feel like she's kind of just become a mouthpiece for whatever the writers are thinking at the time. It is always nice to compare that to episodes like this, who remember that she's actually a character with her own identity.

• Like 5

Spoiler

10. Bart Sells His Soul - 72 points

DJ3NykpPqlRA8D55TuUzYNyg6KIya3H0cYHu56j4X65q24J7G9iuqzFwtANRQf1KnXYTfPtyHUIwTsfBysmvNMZ6CsjAv7Fws9iZx0vApOXgcdqfUFvVODK0KYL7JzmFbSJDD613

5 of 9 lists. #4 Dman

This episode was one I expected to make the list even before I saw any submissions, it's probably one of the most interesting stories the series has come up with. Of course this episode is really funny, like the vast majority of episodes produced at the time. I always liked the subplot about Moe trying to do a family restaurant only for it to completely crumble. But what I think makes this episode stand-out is its philosophical underpinnings, and its somewhat dark atmosphere. I always liked Lisa's speech at the end of the episode, even though she seems to believe some type of soul exists, she herself (And the episode by extension) does not give a clear answer as to the true nature of the soul, the obvious interpretation is the most literal one, that Bart sold his soul, and got it back via Lisa. However a more nuanced explanation could be that Bart simply earned it naturally through introspection, suffering, and thought, which is another possibility Lisa suggests at the end. The question about what makes up the self has always fascinated me, so I really loved seeing Bart's emotional journey here, it's an episode that's very much up to interpretation and raises questions worth thinking about in our more existential moments.

Spoiler

9. Lisa's Substitute - 74 points

2Hx2F1mbzIn67Z4SactPdSzBKGPU21HeFlzmchVMBRSJ0e4U_xoU6rD4fyzJlzAhczJE8SN1vQvLWNnbCyFOAH7ZP9PWDRWiwoz5cSMN-OO1mhsoFd_6YvNcB8ZUSDzV3I0WGWIC

4 of 9 lists. #2 Dman/Wumbo

From a purely narrative point of view, Lisa's Substitute has to be the among strongest stories the show had crafted up to that point, at least in my opinion. Mr. Bergstrom is probably one of the best one-off characters the show has ever done. And unlike other one-off characters, he has a bit more character to him than as a vehicle for jokes or a celebrity appearance, which makes it actually feel really impactful when he has to go. This is also another episode that explores the dynamic between Lisa and Homer, with Bergstrom having to fill the void of the father role that Homer has kind of left untouched, which helps set up one of my favorite emotional endings of the show where Homer makes right with his kids. To balance the emotional storyline, I really liked Bart's subplot here. The "A vote for Bart is a vote for anarchy" gag is a classic.

Spoiler

8. The Itchy & Scratchy & Poochie Show - 77 points

E-WJwoCGGPVei0-BN8SE8mrcuQDLKtkq0Bq5vEq3gMO8bXnJkW3LRScPFvyBASV2PPlH9Rs4A1QxqPC5VzDpdn_iv-noxPLa60zmfxsdP9oxPsNBky7I9KBxSzgDdMTHqJLFpF2b

5 of 9 lists. #5 Slug

Season 8 had this thing going on where the show decided to get really meta. There were a ton of episodes that seemed self-aware about the show's long-running nature and how this might pose a problem. One example that comes to mind is the Simpsons Spin-Off Showcase, which basically predicted Kamp Koral and Patrick show parodied how often desperate shows would try to come up with spin-offs to keep franchises that should've died long ago on life support. Of course, another way desperate shows try to keep themselves afloat is by adding new main characters to "Keep things fresh". This episode is an excellent parody of the out of touch mindset that leads to executives to unironically believe that adding things like Sparky the Dog contributes anything of value. This episode was just absolutely hilarious, especially with just how perfectly Poochie matches that "Cool" 90s aesthetic that executives thought was hip back then and now feels terribly dated. In the end, the episode makes the point that shows have an expiration date. Either seeing the same formula, plotlines, and characters over and over again will make what was once great lose impact, or you'll have to go to increasingly absurd lengths to freshen things up that you'll remove what made it good to begin with. Sometimes you just need to know when to quit, unfortunately, the Simpsons did not learn this lesson.

Spoiler

7. Homer's Phobia - 85 points

9BzSSUnXkwtIhYzXkMLeNVZRHZPsVKQ_ET0cxZWNqihmq2KfOvh9CCPa8iurDpsKCl2wKPy6HBqgmy9QH_CuIaXhYbCE3hRKK2iuiyCaC_mQ0FPSjn8SnoI1ECORIsegeLfNAecm

5 of 9 lists. #3 Dman

The Simpsons had never been shy from showing LGBT characters, especially considering how Smithers had been written as gay longer before this episode, but this was the first episode that centered all around issues relating to homophobia besides for comedy. While I know not everyone feels Simpsons-style stereotype humor has aged well, I think it works here because the butt of the joke is Homer's extreme paranoia over something completely non-existent. Even if the gay characters here are stereotypical, the joke is less "Ha ha gay people are gay" and more laughing at just how absurd Homer's antics and over-reactions to the situation are. The scene where Homer forces Bart to sit down and look at a billboard of barely-dressed women was just simply hilarious to me, and I love how Bart just has absolutely no idea what Homer is on about until Lisa lets him in on the secret at the end. But most importantly, I think this episode does a good job at promoting an anti-homophobia message despite homophobia being the norm at the time, all while making you laugh at the same time.

Spoiler

6. Treehouse of Horror V - 85 points

UMIP5JiqxTYc-4Vt8DwZCzgkIv7b4mw1dPnkZ-Z5VgxEBZ-8ttufIWW-QAE-2Y_y0HreL8sVndmCWO5gUNqGR4lEAjkP28ery9f23IMOo-njMFFi9nGK6VcGvo4sVYlKJj29Ppn5

6 of 9 lists. #4 Wumbo

It wouldn't feel right to have a best Simpsons episode list without at least a visit from the series' annual Treehouse of Horror series, and this has always seemed to be the most acclaimed one. Personally, I think my favorite segment would either be the Devil and Homer Simpson or Citizen Kang, but when looking at these episodes as the whole, I think Treehouse of Horror V offers the strongest combination of segments on average. All three of the stories here are great. The Shinning is a fantastic parody, the subversions on the original story are just incredibly funny, like how what makes Homer go mad is a like of beer and TV, and how the original typewriter just says "Feelin' fine". The second segment, Time and Punishment, actually is probably equal to The Sinning in my opinion. This segment explores various alternate universes, and I always loved just how wacky and creative these got. In particular, the entire scene about evil dictator Ned Flanders might be my favorite in the entire episode. I always laugh at the end where after all the troubles he went through, he just says "Close enough" at seeing the final alternate timeline where everyone else has amphibian tongues. Nightmare Cafeteria is probably the "Weakest" of the three but it's still quite strong, it's probably the darkest of the classic Treehouse of Horror episodes, and it really helps give the episode a good horror vibe that may have been slightly lacking without it. Overall, a great Treehouse of Horror entry, both the segments on their own and the episode as a whole hold up.

One more, and it's all over! Stay tuned tomorrow.

• Like 5

And there we have it... we have reached the end... HERE WE GO!!!!!

Spoiler

5. And Maggie Makes Three - 98 points

_eH-XH_iRitRl_xYVvmuDfLWTUnENcvZ5Q40R2TQU2v7dtVkGQOSHzBHudbaVLym1-5D4pC__Je1ebFIfrYF3emtv7lP1DixMsCKvpnbaYnTJX4FPCPGfvkaZo60q_xthM_3Hj0F

6 of 9 lists. #4 WhoBob/OWM

My favorite of all the flashback episodes. All the things that worked about Lisa's First Word work here too. Most importantly, I really liked Homer's characterization in this episode. There's a ton of funny moments here (I always liked the scene where Marge depressingly states that Homer's story was true) but I really liked seeing Homer care about his family here. He had his dream job, but in the end still gave it up for the better of his family. It makes you understand what Marge actually sees in him. The ending also is one of the sweetest in the entire show.

Spoiler

4. Homer's Enemy - 102 points

G7NmFQStkEvdUL3pbE8HKHRDhvzcteIJHtjz7LGwbxidJPbuuOeCziNeH74N0mLLKsLPevtJLROQWeA0Pmepx5hy2BgXmRmPx_vGBqiv2RvtZUq4B4JfE7qSNXA9OKfDOw6unYvk

7 of 9 lists. #2 Slug/Coffee

This episode used to have a reputation for being fairly controversial in the fandom. Personally, I do not see much dislike for this episode nowadays, but perhaps that is a product of me not looking hard enough. Either way, a lot of the early (Or current) dislike of this episode stemmed from its dark sense of humor and characterization of Homer, sometimes being used as an example of "Jerkass Homer". Personally, I do not agree with that assessment at all, as I love this episode. There is just something about this episode's dark sense of humor I find hilarious. Like a lot of season 8 episodes, Homer's Enemy does take a meta approach, and looks into the foundations of the show. This time, the premise is "What if someone from the real-world had to spend a day in Springfield?" What I think is interesting about this episode is that, in the end of the day, I don't actually think Homer is doing that much wrong. I mean it was rude of him to chew on Grimes' pencils and his lunch, but after Grimes blows up on him, it does seem like he tries to make-up to him and stay out of his hair, albeit in his own goofy way. Rather, Grimes just seems to hate Homer's very existence. Hating how this crazy cartoon world can reward and appreciate him in spite of him being an oaf. I think that's a key to this episode. Sure, Grimes might have a point when he says Homer would starve to death anywhere else, but by the end of the episode Homer isn't actually doing anything to hurt Grimes, Grimes is misplacing his anger at an unmeritocratic system onto a single individual. He reminds me of my parents who constantly fear that someone somewhere might be cheating the welfare system regardless of whether or not it effects them in any way, taking an individualist lens at systemic issues. Overall, a very fascinating and funny episode.

Spoiler

3. 22 Short Films About Springfield - 112 points

b7errlORXcdXkP2lNRJuO7UpzXiFhRJDPD6m9BXQVNk0pfhtzj5V53ptoyyf2X5UC3yqy8xwDcPtyMZDYtcGzGeUc-weCijXtLiACIwGMy_RHgIANCLqorcp2sP4UpGcH7f1DvFH

7 of 9 lists. #2 Jjs

This episode is probably now most known for the meme scene, but there's a lot of golden stuff here. Using an experimental format, this episode gives us a chance to actually focus on a lot of the more under-represented characters in The Simpsons. The mini-stories here each are incredibly funny and even better is how they do loosely connect with each other to help give the episode a nice sense of pacing. While the "Steamed Hams" scene is obviously great, I also must say that the scene with the tall man always stood out to me for whatever reason. Also probably the only moment I can recall where we get a glimpse into Bumblebee Man's private life. Poor guy can never catch a break.

Spoiler

2. Who Shot Mr. Burns? - 123 points

3OSIwiZGOYmbpulMRW0_DWx4xWjF5m07noGpNEnglWguiqrhQMhRT0vfUArLx1vRXPHPIU7kjKemIABwL-p_pPLE5iFyHsG0mzYMxku9wcPwkNmEGJl2trDL9LHMLnOeVsOuwRjN

8 of 9 lists. #1 Jjs

Part of the reason why I made people submit this as one episode instead of two is because I feel like this episode only really works when viewing it as one long story. How can you rate part one without part two and vice versa? I just couldn't really imagine placing them separately, each half needs the other half, and put together you get what is easily one of the best episodes of the show. The first half sets up an excellent mystery, full of clues, red herrings, and foreshadowing that all makes sense once you actually see the reveal itself. Part two focuses more on putting the mystery together, and makes for a fun  roller coaster as the prime suspect constantly changes. This episode manages to both be a genuinely good mystery story and have all the solid Simpsons shenanigans we have come to appreciate. It is an episode that works on every level, and is notable as one of the most ambitious episodes of the entire show. The lengths the crew went to hide the true culprit still impresses me a lot.

Spoiler

1. Mother Simpson - 136 points

V_zDeAoGYpnekvEz2HWUYRKV78K84nr01k9yJ6jKH3uAnIpBZ44pVnHOQnS5-8Cmx_2KX-oMTaPbT1-YYG1s5eFTxLPRSPZ1Azx01xBBU9StnZvAPzgsY2NDUf0G1vIXxJEfTd-i

8 of 9 lists. #1 Mythix

And here we go, the #1 episode. I don't think anyone is surprised that this made the list, and even if you didn't expect it to take #1, it was always one of those episodes I suspected would be a strong contender. And I can't say I have any problem with this episode taking the #1 spot. It's probably got one of the most emotional storylines of the entire show, it's an episode that actually ends up being important to the show's "Lore" as it actually gives us some insight into Homer's upbringing, and it all ends beautifully too. I really think that in some ways, to the extent the Simpsons has any kind of over-arching story, it is a story about Homer coming to learn with being a parent. It was something that came to him accidentally, and he isn't exactly good at it, but in episodes like And Maggie Makes Three, he comes to do the right thing and do what's best for his family. This episode almost feels like something of a conclusion to that, as Homer gets to meet his long lost mother, a parental figure he longed for but never had. Homer's experience in this episode of losing that loving parental figure, and only having Abe, probably more than anything taught Homer the importance of his new duties as a father, helping lead to great moments like his speech in Lisa's Wedding. Maybe I'm overanalyzing this, but regardless, the ending of the episode is easily one of the most beautiful Simpsons moments ever, and combine that with Homer and Mona's wonderful chemistry, and you've got an all-time great Simpsons episode.

But that isn't all. You see that highest placement? That's right, not only did Mythix pick a universally liked episode for his #1, his #1 also ended up being the #1 of the entire list! That means in at least one way, his list actually ended up being more representative than anyone else's! That's right, all of you guys are more off-base from the general consensus than Magic the Veemon! I think we need to screencap this moment, it is truly historic.

And there it is! Thank all of you for staying tuned. I really wasn't sure how this would turn out when I first started. But I think it came out pretty well. Despite the relatively low amount of submissions, I think we ended up picking 25 solid episodes that really put a spotlight on the show's various strengths. I hope you guys enjoyed the ride too, despite the unfortunate delay. Regardless of how much this show continues to get milked in the future, we will always have classic Simpsons with us.

• Like 6