• Advertisement

The Suicide Squad (James Gunn movie)

WhoBibbles

I said this already in the shoutbox, but this is the best superhero movie since The Dark Knight. It blends action, comedy, pathos, and social commentary better than almost any movie I've seen, and it's only more proof that Warner Bros allowing directors to have more creative control over films set in the DC universe is the right decision, even if it naturally leads to results more hit-and-miss than what we've gotten from Marvel over the last decade. I liked Black Widow, but it frankly doesn't hold a candle to this or to Zack Snyder's Justice League, which were clearly the result of an artist's singular vision and not of a hyper-efficient movie-making machine.

Guardians of the Galaxy was actually the second MCU movie I watched after the The Incredible Hulk, and while The Suicide Squad obviously has similarities, being written and directed by the same person and also being about a group of misfit antiheroes learning how to bond and fight for something bigger than themselves, it's a more confident movie. Losing the shackles Kevin Feige and Disney put on him allowed James Gunn to show us what he was really capable of with a big budget and a property as dark and as strange as this one. The promises of the original Suicide Squad's trailers, which disappointed almost everybody who watched the actual movie, are fulfilled here. It's like a comic book come to life, but more violent, more profane, and more willing to go completely off the rails than most mainstream superhero comics are. The world is a better place with The Suicide Squad in it, and if you can only watch one movie from 2021, it needs to be this one.

• Like 2