• Advertisement

CyanideFishbone's Top 25 Worst SpongeBob Episodes REVISITED (Summer 2021)

I'm on summer break and with me being on summer break I'm looking for things to keep me occupied- and since recently JJS reached out to me with my list of the top 25 worst Spongebob episodes from a long time ago for this year's list, I thought it would be a fun little project for me to reevaluate the list because it's so old and to be honest, I barely remember most of the episodes on the list. I almost feel like some of the placements are remnants of edgy middle school me just hating random episodes for very minor reasons, and I think it'd be fun to reevaluate this list, decide what actually deserved it's placement, and what doesn't. As real life and other interest took its place, my interest in Spongebob has also largely dwindled since I joined this site back in 2013, and I feel like a project like this is a good excuse to get me to watch some episodes again- even if they're from the show's weaker years. 

A few quick rules- if an episode is removed, it's gone from the list and is either in my good graces or is just an okay episode that isn't among the worst, depending on circumstance. If an episode is kept, it stays on the list, where it may be rearranged, but is still a bad episode in my eyes. I may be inconclusive on some, so those will be considered a tossup if need be. 

Also feel like noting when I'll be posting- there won't be a deadline or any set date where I update, I wanna take my time with this and do it when I want to do so, since honestly I've abandoned a lot of similar projects in the past and I'm worried about doing so again. But I should be updating somewhat fairly frequently- I'm starting my summer job on Friday, so I may have less time but I should be able to fit in an 11 minute episode into my schedule fairly frequently. 

Anyway, before we get started, here's the list. I'll be going from #25 to #1:

1. Little Yellow Book

2. Greasy Buffoons

3. inSPONGEiac

4. One Coarse Meal

5. Demolition Doofus

6. Keep Bikini Bottom Beautiful

7. Restraining SpongeBob

8. SpongeHenge

9. The Thing

10. New Fish In Town

11. Buried In Time

12. Sentimental Sponge

13. Summer Job

14. Boating Buddies

15. A Flea In Her Dome

16. Penny Foolish

17. Sun Bleached

18. Squid's Visit

19. Pet or Pests

20. Truth or Square

21. Pineapple Fever

22. The Other Patty

23. Drive Thru

24. Walking The Plankton

25. Sweet And Sour Squid

One thing I will say in advance is pardon me if I don't have a lot to say about the more talked about episodes like Boating Buddies as for a lot those episodes everyone knows why people don't like them, but with that, that's really it. I'm really excited to revisit these episodes after years and the first entry should be out soon!

• Like 3

Okay y'all- sorry about the wait (week after I posted this was rough- summer job didn't work out but I'm starting another soon) and I feel bad for not starting later but I can affirm that it will be starting soon (probably this weekend). Sorry about the wait!

And we are live! I'm really sorry about the wait- a lot of unexpected stuff got in my way but I finally started working on this list. And with that I have our first entry.

"Sweet And Sour Squid"

Nx4cCrG.png

Season 8 E5A

Written by: Aaron Springer, Mr. Lawrence

Plankton befriends Squidward in an attempt to get the secret formula, and must compliment Squid's music- while knowing just how bad it is.

A lot of these episodes I haven't seen in years, and this one is no stranger to that. So when I rewatched this episode, I was pleasantly surprised by just how much I enjoyed it. It's not the best episode, nor the funniest episode, but it has a neat premise that mostly delivers. Plankton and Squidward have a fun dynamic and while this episode isn't the funniest, the gags sprinkled in do work. Something that really stuck out to me was how in-character everyone in this episode was (for the most part)- one of my biggest gripes with later Spongebob (and one many others share) is how much the characters have derailed but everyone was pretty much solidly in character here. I will say that Spongebob seemed a little more obnoxious and naive than normal but everyone else was very in character and it never really got too jarring so I can hand wave it. Characters in shows like these can me malleable to fit certain premises, which I'm fine with as long as the change isn't too bad, which it isn't here. The highlight here is definitely the Pinball Wizard segment, Mr. Lawrence does a fantastic job doing a twist on the song, but the other jokes and plot elements work. I remember largely disliking this one due to the ending and... I don't see anything wrong with it. After Plankton finds out Squid doesn't know anything about the formula (very in character with his apathetic work ethic), he makes a run with Squid's clarinet, to which he runs into the townfolk pissed at him for accompanying Squid who played all over town to everyone's annoyance- and ends up arrested for disrupting the piece. I think I remember thinking it was dumb or something, but it really isn't. First off, Plankton is often treated as a butt-monkey in-universe, so it makes sense that he would get bit in the ass like this, especially with a plan of his that doesn't work out in the slightest. I'm striking this from my worst list without a doubt, I was pleasantly surprised by how enjoyable this show was. Especially considering I really don't like Seasons 7-8, this one is definitely a diamond in the rough. That squid does sure play a mean clarinet. 

• Like 2

can't believe 2/3 of this writing team also did No Free Rides and made this episode, which i've seen multiple times and i can't remember what happens besides the song