• Advertisement

Every Billboard Year-End Hot 100 based solely on inverse points (1992-2020)

Steel Sponge

As I should point out first thing before someone tells me, I actually haven't compiled data for every year...yet. All that's missing as of this posting are a select few years from the 90s: 1993, 1994, 1996,and 1999 (yeah, call it sacrilegious that I have yet to compile data for what is considered to be one of the best years for pop music since the past 25 years).

Anyways, this is a thread where I post the year-end Hot 100 charts that I've compiled based on the inverse points system alone. They are all contained in one convenient document that can be viewed via the link below. The data for each year is based on their respective tracking periods according to Billboard (1992-2017 - First week of December to last week of November. 2018 - First week of December to second-to-last week of November. 2019 - Last week of November to mid-November. 2020 - Mid-November to mid-November.)  Naturally, I would post this on the Downtown Bikini Bottom forum, but I'm posting the document here on this forum to be on the safe side.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/16OB-ZiQmOdAsuruncHcgir6zpfWjBSK8n17ABWYUrXk/edit?usp=sharing

This is just a zany side-project that I slowly worked my way through since sometime during 2017, updating it sporadically, and I haven't felt the need to share it until now. It is said that early year-end Hot 100 lists were compiled through an inverse points system (a song spending 1 week at #100 would earn 1 point, 2 for a week at #99, 3 for a week at #98 and so forth) among other factors classified by Billboard, and I decided to commit to this as I thought it would be fun to see how different the year-end charts would look if they didn't incorporate data from Nielsen SoundScan during this current era (The Nielsen era began at the start of the 1992 tracking period, which is why that's the cut-off). I'm close to finished with this compilation, so I'll be updating this document once a month until then. This project isn't such a high priority for me, so I don't really plan on going beyond 2020.

Also for those who need help comprehending these sheets:

First column - Song title
Second column - Weeks spend during said year
Third column - Peak position for said year
Fourth column - Original chart peak on the official Billboard year-end list
Fifth column - Year-end chart position difference
Sixth column - Song's respective artist(s)
Seventh column - Song's total inverse points

Feel free to ask me some questions you may have about these charts I've compiled.

• God Himself 1