• Advertisement

SBC's Top 50 Worst Episodes Ever! (2021 Edition)

OWM

Ink Lemonade is just horrendous. It has every flaw of post-movie and post-sequel. You want gross out? Check. Mean-spiritedness? Check. Out of characterizarion? Check. Over the top sequences? Check. Loud moments? Check. And the funny thing is that it is not even on my bottom 5. Still it is god awful.

Squid Baby was almost on my bottom 5. Dear god. What a miserable episode. So boring, uncomfortable, painful, cringe, annoying and gross. Squidward shits himself? Did we really need this? Man, lets just rewatch Rock a Bye Bivalve instead.

• Like 2

Ink Lemonade was on my list. Such a bad episode, one of the few "squid abuse" episodes that I actually dislike. It's annoying, gross, very uncomfortable considering its torturing squidward so patrick can sell his body fluids for others to drink.... the animation is really good, but it doesn't save the episode in the slightest. 

Squid Baby has literally every flaw I mentioned above but five times worse and without anything good. Its extremely annoying, very gross (why do we need to watch squidward poop in a diaper???) every character here is awful (besides squidward), the ending makes zero sense, and the worst thing is that Squidward has a serious mental issue and the doctor tells them not to hurt his head at all, so of course no one whatsoever even tries to prevent Squidward's head from being slammed as hard as possible. This episode somehow manages to gradually get worse and worse every minute. Bit disappointed it didn't get #1 like I thought it might but ah well, at least it made it to bottom 3.

The only thing I will say about the inclusion of "Truth Or Square", and it being SO high on this list, is that I will LITERALLY roll my eyes at ALL the people who put it on this list. "Squid Baby" IS a pretty bad episode, but I personally felt that I had already put in TOO many bad Squidward related episodes on my list, and that one just got lost in the shuffle. Of course, my BIGGEST regret is NOT putting "Ink Lemonade" on my worst list the FIRST time it was eligible. It LITERALLY came out on like the DAY the lists were to be sent in; and even though it was SO horrible, I thought that nobody would BOTHER to change their lists at the last minute! Last time I make THAT mistake! I don't have a strong opinion about "Pets Or Pests", though. Enough said for now, true believers!

6 minutes ago, 4EverGreen said:

The only thing I will say about the inclusion of "Truth Or Square", and it being SO high on this list, is that I will LITERALLY roll my eyes at ALL the people who put it on this list.

oh no people have different opinions than me, *rolls my eyes* ?

Truth or Square: It's meh for me. Most of the segments felt like a bunch of DVD extras cobbled together without any coherence, but I actually liked some of them, like the alternate theme songs (even though Unreal Estate did a better job), the vintage Krusty Krab commercial, and the wedding scene. The Patchy scenes were just a cheap tactic to force as many celebrity cameos as possible without having a good reason to do so. A Day like This was definitely the best part of the episode, if I have to be honest. I can see why it's such a polarizing episode; some people found it to be disappointing for a 10th anniversary episode.

Ink Lemonade: Proof that not every post-sequel episode is a winner. In fact, this episode was the first post-sequel episode I found to be absolutely terrible. Again, it's filled to the brim with redundant padding, Patrick was a total butthead, and the bandage scene as well as the ending made me seriously uncomfortable. It really shared a lot of elements with bad season 6 episodes (grossout, unlikeable Patrick, excess Squidward torture, and inconsistent pacing). 

Squid Baby: The "jokes" in this episode came across as really problematic. Head trauma is a real issue and this episode treated it horribly. People that experience severe head trauma can sometimes only communicate by crying and screaming. I felt really offended by this episode. On top of that, almost everyone in this episode was extremely grating. SpongeBob and Patrick acted really dumb, the doctor was pretty much useless, and Mr. Krabs still made Squidward work despite the fact that Squidward regressed back to the functionality of an infant. Also, there were some really revolting visuals thrown in. Did we really have to see a close up of Squidward's diaper? Eww...

• Like 2

2. "Hey! Don't you go crying on me! Crying never solves anything."

10lI1KR.png

Stuck in the Wringer – 317 points

20 out of 22 lists (Highest Ranking #1 @Steel Sponge) (-1)

Many episodes in this list are divisive: some people don't think of them as bad at all, or even like them. But I've still yet to meet anyone who wants to defend this stinker. While I don't hate it nearly as much as I did before—some parts are just too laughable for me to even dislike—it still manages to be a terrible, terrible slog. The wringer itself doesn't create any real new situations other than being annoying and getting in the way, which can't carry an episode. Of course this has to continue for the vast majority of the episode as Patrick and the Bottomites bumble around and say some of this episode's most infamous lines. The much reviled ending, while stupid, is really the only way they could've ended an episode like this. I guess it was dead from the start.

1. "Nope, it's gotta be you, son. You're canned. Here's your pink slip. I'm giving you the axe."

vwsrz7n.png

SpongeBob You're Fired – 320 points

17 out of 22 lists (Highest Ranking #1 @dmandagiraffe) (+4)

Yep, you're reading this right. A razor-thin margin thrusts SpongeBob You're Fired into the number one spot. I'm actually in the minority here, since I didn't rank this episode at all. But it's infamous for a good reason. SpongeBob has been fired many times before, and now you want to turn that concept into a 22-minute special? There are so many scenes of him just walking around doing nothing in particular as scenes desperately trying to be funny unfold around him. No one cares if it represents his loneliness or isolation—it's just not good TV. The different restaurants he tries to work at afterward are cookie-cutter copies of themselves—they're boring and sameish and don't have any good jokes about them other than... lame visual gags relating to what food they serve. And of course, the status quo restores itself by the episode's end. Did you notice every single plot point in this episode is lifted from another? SpongeBob has been fired, he's sulked for extended time periods, moved to a quirkier restaurant where he only cooks Krabby Patties, and of course is sent back to the Krusty Krab after everyone realizes they need him. There isn't a single original thought in this episode, and for that I can see why it creeps into everyone's list.

Thanks to everyone who liked, submitted, or even followed us on this journey through this show's lowest points. I leave you all with three links: the full list of all episodes tallied, every list submission I received, and the link to Wumbo's best episodes list. (go submit!) Feel free to use this data to peer over, grill me if I made any mistakes, or do something real cool with it, I don't know. Have fun!

Full List

All Submissions

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Wow 2

Wow wtf, did not expect sbyf to be #1. I'm one of the five who didn't it on their list lol. It's a perfectly okay episode. Weiner guy getting run over was hilarious

Wringer was on my list though. Very boring episode, and that scene with the bottomites telling Spongebob he's the problem is awful.

Stuck in the Wringer was my #3. Fuck this episode for everyrhinf.

Woohoo SBYF is the new #1

I don't hate this episode compared to others because it has a fww moments I enjoyed but it is on my #2 because it is the most unoriginal, uncreative and cynical episdoe the show has ever done.

Thanks for eeryone to contribute to the list or follow the list. I'll see you all in the best lisr.

MAN; "Kooky Cooks" missed it by THAT much! Next time will probably be different, though. "Stuck In the Wringer" certainly deserves to be on THIS list though. I personally don't understand the logic of "Spongebob, You're Fired" being the number one pick; but I certainly can't argue with majority opinion. (Technically, I COULD, but it wouldn't make a difference!) Anyways, here's what my list looked like. A good number of my picks made it on, and some didn't. Here they are, if you're interested. /

1. "Kooky Cooks". 2. "Ink Lemonade". 3. "Boating Buddies". 4. "Good Neighbors". 5. "Little Yellow Book". 6. "Someone's In The Kitchen With Sandy". 7. "Can You Spare A Dime?" 8. "The Clash Of Triton". 9. "Atlantis Squarepantis". 10. "Rodeo Clowns". 11. "Shuffleboarding". 12. "Pets Or Pests?" 13. "Enemy In Law". 14. "House Fancy". 15. "Stuck In The Wringer". 16. "To Love A Patty". 17. "Breath Of Fresh Squidward". 18. "Demolition Doofus". 19. "Whale Of A Birthday". 20. "The Cent Of Money". 21. "Big Sister Sam". 22. "Are You Happy Now?" 23. "Squidcano!" 24. "Face Freeze!" 25. "Glove World R.I.P." /

In retrospect, if I had remembered some of the picks that made it on the actual list, I probably would've included those instead of some of the ones I DID pick; but then it again, it's not exactly easy to remember every single segment of a show that's been on for 22 years and over 200 episodes. And who knows what the worst list will look like next time? We'll have to wait and see! Enough said, true believers!

Stuck in the Wringer: Ah, it's the episode that made me want to turn the Bikini Bottomites into sashimi. Patrick himself was completely incompetent, as he did absolutely nothing to help SpongeBob; in fact, he was an active liability. If I had a friend that treated me like Patrick treated SpongeBob in this episode, I would never speak to them again. To add insult to injury, SpongeBob was the one that was lambasted by the Bikini Bottomites. The entertainment value wasn't there, the story felt aimless, and the ending was a spork stab in the heart.

SpongeBob, You're Fired: Wait, I used to find this episode meh back in 2016? Ok...well, the problems in this episode became more noteworthy after viewing this episode a few times. First of all, the episode mainly consists of lots of padding to fill up 22 minutes. I mean, it could have been an 11-minute episode if it wasn't for all of those random scenes that didn't really contribute to the episode's plot. Also, it misappropriated elements from previous episodes, like Bummer Vacation, Model Sponge, and Le Big Switch. How original. Krabs firing SpongeBob over a nickel? Ridonculous. One thing that stood out to me was how SpongeBob was able to make delicious snail food for Gary, yet he was kicked out of 4 restaurants after he made various Krabby Patty-esque dishes. Truly, it rendered the restaurant scenes useless. While this "special" had some redeeming qualities, including the very beginning, SpongeBob saying "I'm ready!", the scenes with Patrick's mutated head, and the Killer Krabby Patty saving SpongeBob, it's a really uninspired episode that had virtually no reason to exist. 

• Like 2

On 6/14/2021 at 12:55 AM, 4EverGreen said:

MAN; "Kooky Cooks" missed it by THAT much! Next time will probably be different, though.

no it won't because kooky cooks is a great episode and you dislike something that has always been there in cartoons, Even SpongeBob a lot of times.

• Confused 2