• Advertisement

SBC's Top 50 Worst Episodes Ever! (2021 Edition)

OWM

Alright, I'm partially responsible for Breath of Fresh Squidward being on here since it's on my bottom 10, so I ought to explain myself. I feel this episode was setting itself up for something interesting by switching up the roles for SpongeBob and Squidward for the episode's conflict, but I felt that ended up being executed poorly. There's something about SpongeBob going from the kind of character who would put others first to a type of character who doesn't like being one-upped a character he tends to show a lot of care towards (Squidward) and wouldn't even let him stay happy near the end as the breaking point was pogo-dancing with Patrick (Seriously??? That of all things to make SB come off as a jerk for the purpose of the episode's plot?) that just rubs me the wrong way. Even when the episode had the good opportunity to deliver a its conflict by making SB realize how much of a jerk he was to the nice Squidward after melting down in front of everyone at Squid's Employee of the Month celebration party, the episode decides to rush that and just have SB go "wow i was kinda rude to Squidward, i'll apologize to him right now, lol," and this was just RIGHT AFTER the nice Squidward left the party in tears.

Even when the episode had the interesting idea of showing us what a nicer version of Squidward would be like, even the episode misses with their execution of that idea by making Squidward into rather a extremely exaggerated version of SpongeBob himself.

Then there's the ending, which just ends on an unsatisfying note. Cool, Squidward is his normal self again, but now SpongeBob and Patrick are literally Squidward after touching the static that he was giving off from touching the electric fence, which then breaks because of the whole chain reaction. Yay?

i'll spoil some of my top 25 by showing what episodes make it

if we make at least 10 from it on this list i shall post my top 25

monster who came to bikini bottom and restraining spongebob are on my top 50

we are 2/10ths of our goal

my thoughts on each episode
cent of money:pretty funny and the sb parts are the funniest and i love how mr krabs gets punished by being injured and losing every penny he made spectacular
monster who came to bikini bottom:a pretty heartwarming episode i love the friendship the monster and patrick get and how they even move in with eachother in the mountain and how we get a payoff to the ice machine joke which was hilarious i also love how patrick and the monster treat a snow globe like its the most wonderful thing in the world its also funny how the monster destroys the houses spectacular episode

battle of bikini bottom:a super mega disgusting episode with only 1 good joke thats at the literal start of the episode thats super sad also patrick in it is awful in this episode and i 100 percent root for spongebob the fact he is so disgusting and refuses to wash his hands makes me root against him so much i really hate the character whos gross for grossness (cough lana from loud house whos the second worst character from that show cough) easily the third worst patrick appearance the only worse ones being birthday blowout and ink lemonade 0/10 rubbish episode

sun bleached:pretty funny even though i hate how it treats tanning booths like a good thing 9/10 amazing

restraining spongebob:well it started funny at the start it got even better once patrick made it and i love how sweet it is squidward unrestrained sb and restrained patrick since sb saved him and how patrick talks to a button and how he annoys squidward spectacular 

breath of fresh squidward:i hate how out of character spongebob is this is a terrible role reversal episode and honestly kind of regret hating on squid baby since i love it again and it works far better as a role reversal 0/10 rubbish

"Restraining Spongebob" is another one of those episodes that I can't bring myself to hate. Sure, the execution probably wasn't the BEST in the world, but it certainly wasn't the WORST; I thought it was pretty good, considering it was "Spongebob Squarepants". "Breath Of Fresh Squidward" definitely made my list! What's kind of spooky, is that I actually MADE an episode idea of Squidward accidentally becoming LIKE Spongebob BEFORE that episode came out, and they SOMEHOW managed to make that episode idea WORSE than mine when they made it! They took what COULD have been a GOOD premise, and totally RUINED it with the execution! Now, I kind of wish I had ranked it higher than I did on my personal list, but at least it's on here! Enough said, true believers!

• Like 2

44. "Don't be so hard on yourself. It was the experiment's fault that you were such a jerk."

FBZLXlY.png

The Fish Bowl – 47 points

3 out of 22 lists (Highest Ranking #3 @magic the veemon) (+6)

Season: 9b

Writers: Jack Pendarvis, Kyle McCulloch

Plot: Sandy studies SpongeBob and Patrick's behavior for a science experiment.

Here's a pretty shoddy episode with a strong hatebase that managed to bring it up this year. I liked this one's concept but the execution makes it pretty much impossible to enjoy. The "in charge" line ends up changing the whole course of the episode. I don't get why telling Patrick to be "in charge" is meant to be natural for him, and why Sandy even did it to begin with. All it does is give Patrick excuses to be an asshole, which drags the episode horribly. By the last third, it becomes the primary focus, and it even sidelines the psychology thing they were building up. And don't get me started on the ice cream thing—that just made things even more senseless, especially with Squidward. I certainly see why this was picked as 9b's worst.

43. "I'm just saying I no longer need to copy you, Krabs. I've got my own winning recipe now."

2dnLWk1.png

Plankton's Regular – 48 points

4 out of 22 lists (Highest Ranking #6 @Clappy@JCM) (+11)

Season: 6

Writers: Casey Alexander, Zeus Cervas, Dani Michaeli

Plot: Plankton meets Nat, his new favorite customer.

This is an old hated favorite that managed to rise pretty far this year. It's a pretty lousy one with an even worse new character. There are some interesting things about Nat, like his relationship with Plankton and how he seems to be the only person repulsed by Krabby Patties, but the ending washes them away completely and it feels very underwhelming. As with all episodes of its kind, it reverts itself back to the status quo in the most boring way possible. Lame.

• Like 8

The Fishbowl is the worst ep of s9B but it is still isn't that bad which is shocking. I get ehy it is on the list tho.

Plankton's Regular sucks ass. It made my list. It is gross and mean-spirited with nothing else to talk about. It is a great concept wasted by shitty jokes and plot.

I didn't think anyone really cared about fishbowl anymore, but I suppose we needed it on the list since Sportz probably won't make it and Trophy needs something to make up for it :funny:

My thoughts on fishbowl personally: I don't get the hate for this episode at all I though Squidward's behavior was funny and Patrick was a jerk but I think it's redeemable at the end

Plankton's Regular: I need to rewatch this episode to see if I still don't like it or actually find it to be good. It didn't make my list but wasn't really that far (My list this year is really just estimations, I haven't seen most of them since the last list lol)

Married to Money is the better episode from the pair for The Fish Bowl. It's stupid and bland so I get why it's on the list.

I wouldn't put Plankton's Regular on my list if I made one. It's not great but it does have funny bits.

"The Fishbowl" just BARELY missed making my list this year; like, it could've been my #26 if I was given the option. I think the reason why it didn't make my list, is that I find it to be more badly executed than just plain bad. After all, "Spongebob Squarepants" is HARDLY the first cartoon to try experiments with their show, that ultimately don't work out. Mostly, I just wish "The Fishbowl" had better writing and jokes. And while "Plankton's Regular" had a couple of parts that I could live without, it's another one of those episodes that I can't really bring myself to hate personally; but I can understand why other people might not like it. Enough said, true believers!

42. "Now I'll never find Patrick! He wins at hide and seek! He wins, he wins!"

sN4yUWm.png

Hide and Then What Happens? – 50 points

6 out of 22 lists (Highest Ranking #11 @The Helpful Mexican) (+11)

Season: 7

Writers: Aaron Springer, Dani Michaeli

Plot: SpongeBob plays hide-and-seek, but can't find Patrick.

This slow and unenjoyable episode nearly made it onto my list. The whole episode is a fine idea that doesn't know how to use its time, leading to some of the show's worst padding. It spends the first three to four minutes doing nothing besides an overly long and unfunny scene of Patrick not getting what hide-and-seek is. The episode also doesn't try to make SpongeBob's search any fun or engaging at all. Instead, it's riddled with more awful padding like with Mrs. Puff ("Are you suuure?") Only this episode could've made riding around the world in a submarine boring. The only decent thing I can say about this is Patrick Not-Star, who has a very surreal Springer look that works even besides the weird cheap moral they gave him to say. So yes, this episode sucks: it's mostly unfunny, has nothing to offer compared to similar episodes, and the pacing is awful.

41. "The more you sing of your desires, the closer to Atlantis you will get."

tzNvNtT.png

Atlantis SquarePantis – 53 points

4 out of 22 lists (Highest Ranking #4 @The Helpful Mexican) (-7)

Season: 5

Writers: Casey Alexander, Zeus Cervas, Steven Banks, Dani Michaeli, Aaron Springer, Paul Tibbitt

Plot: The main cast visits the lost city of Atlantis.

Here it is: the episode that killed the show's budget along with most of the crew's free time, probably. It was the biggest and most ambitious project the crew had undertaken thus far, and they created this confusing clunker. The songs are flashy and somewhat visually creative, but they're poorly sung, written, and not particularly memorable. Atlantis itself is also a huge bore, which is a real letdown. They talk about it as if it's a mystical wonderland with rich culture and lore, and yet that culture and lore seems to be entirely tailored to the main crew's taste. As much as the designs and atmosphere and Bowie's snazzy voice try to make things interesting, none of it blends. As for the Patchy scenes... well, they're the best part of this special. They're pointless and don't tie into the main plot at all, but goddamn if they aren't weirdly hilarious. Patchy's dignity had long eroded by this point, so we may as well dive into complete absurdity.

• Like 7

Hide is a really boring episode but thats it really, it didn't quite my list. Maybe on a full show rewatch it'd make it

Atlantis Squarepantis is one of the best episodes of the show so I'm glad it at least fell. The locations are amazing, the songs are really good, theres a bunch of funny moments and even some good action at one point, its a really cool episode. 

Honestly though I thought it was gonna rise this year so I consider this a win.

Hide and Then What Happens is on my list. Completely a boreshit with nothing else to offer excet for two decent jokes. Good riddance, it got high on the list.

Atlantis was okay at best. Still the best tv movie the show has ever had. It has some nice animation and designs, a few songs are good and the climax is fun but i didn't care much about it. Patchy segments were too weird but they had their moments. I don't think it deserves to be on the list but oh well.

40. "I knew it! We have to sacrifice the most miserable person!"

qWmgKdH.png

Sponge-Cano! – 54 points

4 out of 22 lists (Highest Ranking #4 @jjsthekid) (-12)

Writers: Casey Alexander, Zeus Cervas, Derek Iversen

Plot: Bikini Bottom's volcano erupts, and requires a sacrifice.

Sponge-Cano! (god, that's a stupid title) is the Legends of Bikini Bottom subseries at its absolute lowest, in what was already a terrible string of episodes. The beginning is terrible—nobody wants to see Squidward berate every customer of the Krusty Krab, especially not after the song that only vaguely relates to the rest of the episode. The actual volcano doesn't become interesting until the "ancient warrior" comes along to spoonfeed the plot to us, with both a horrible design and a horrible voice. The Bottomites' choice to unanimously kill Squidward combined with SpongeBob's pleas otherwise could be interesting, but it just reminds me that I don't like any of these characters or groups. It drags, and it drags, only for Squidward to reveal that he was lying throughout the whole sequence. That's right, him hanging on for dear life was a cheap ploy. And let's not mention the special twist ending: it was his house! That's right, the ancient warrior made no attempt to correct anyone so that the plot could work in the first place. I am very sad this episode fell.

39. "Repulsive! Somebody's got to stop these bubble blowing jellyfishers!"

nDTI91j.png

New Fish in Town – 56 points

8 out of 22 lists (Highest Ranking #10 @CyanideFishbone) (+25)

Writers: Aaron Springer, Derek Iversen

Plot: A fish named Howard becomes SpongeBob, Patrick, and Squidward's new neighbor.

This episode is only as good as its new major character, and Howard sucks. There's only so much you can do with a character totally designed to appeal to Squidward, and it makes him a dull asshole with a terrible voice and no personality. The central conflict of Squidward trying to hide SpongeBob and Patrick drags terribly, as does the rest of this episode with scenes that don't seem to lead up to anything. Basically everyone is annoying, and it becomes boring, frustrating, and everything inbetween. There's no wonder this episode made such a big rise (one of the biggest you'll see, in fact).

• Like 6
  • Happy 1

Neither were on my list but both were pretty shit.

Sponge-cano is a waste of a good premise with Bikini Bottomies being assholes and Squidward being completely annoying as fuck. Nothing worth seeing here.

New Fish in Town is such a good premise but it is so fucking dull to watch. It is annoying and boring. Clapping scene is forever iconic tho.

I need to rewatch sponge cano to know what to think. Surprised it made the list though.

Glad to see New Fish in Town made it this year, I had it on my list (although low). It's one of the blandest episodes and one of the biggest wastes of potential, the idea of a fourth neighbor is really cool but then the character is just really bland, the episode is boring and has few jokes, and then the guy just suddenly starts liking bubbles and jellyfishing later on for no proper reason, like he accidentally pops one bubble and suddenly he's like spongebob? Such a lame episode.

Battle is a based episode, sad that it made the list. It's among (Us) the top 10 episodes of post-movie imo.

At least Hide and New Fish in Town made the list this year.

Thinking about how Doodle Dimension would've made the list this year if I just kept it at #14 where I originally had it.

8 hours ago, The Helpful Mexican said:

Battle is a based episode, sad that it made the list. It's among (Us) the top 10 episodes of post-movie imo.

At least Hide and New Fish in Town made the list this year.

Thinking about how Doodle Dimension would've made the list this year if I just kept it at #14 where I originally had it.

Being #51 two years in a row from the stupidest circumstances is funny though.

38. "Have you learned nothing about sharing?"

q6ZSONC.png

Yours, Mine and Mine – 61 points

5 out of 22 lists (Highest Ranking #11 @Steel Sponge) (-16)

Season: 7

Writers: Luke Brookshier, Nate Cash, Steven Banks

Plot: SpongeBob and Patrick fight over the "Patty Pal," the new Krusty Krab toy.

I don't have much to say about this one other than it stucks. SpongeBob and Patrick acting like annoying toddlers all throughout this episode isn't enough to prop up an interesting plot. The many, many minutes of bickering combined with a lifeless chase sequence to top everything off make for a bland, limp episode.

37. "I knew it was too good to be true!"

6Jkx3ny.png

A SquarePants Family Vacation – 62 points

6 out of 22 lists (Highest Ranking #6 @The Helpful Mexican) (+15)

Season: 8

Writers: Aaron Springer, Sean Charmatz, Derek Iversen

Plot: SpongeBob, his parents, and Patrick go on a family vacation.

This episode breaks its own back just to fill that 22-minute time slot, and it really shows. It spends too much time on boring, mundane shit instead of actually showing the viewer a fun, worthwhile vacation. The padded intro doesn't connect with the rest of the plot at all (in fact, it connects more with other episodes) and is never mentioned again. There's also an awkward scene with a redneck mechanic, a very boring scene at a playground, and several minutes of SpongeBob and Patrick acting stupid and running from monsters. Does that sound interesting to you? And to cap everything off, there is a very abrupt and inconclusive ending to remind you how much time you just wasted. (there's an intro, but no outro?) Granted there are some OK parts to this episode, but they're short and not worth mentioning.

• Like 7
  • Happy 1
  • God Himself 1

Kinda wish I put ym&m farther in my list, I think I've forgotten how annoying it is since it's been so long since I've either watched it or seen anyone else really mention it. But oh well, at least I put it on at #12. Kinda sad to see it fall, Patrick and Spongebob (but mostly Patrick) are so annoying and childish in this episode that it's frustrating to even watch.

Squarepants Family Vacation I'm glad to see made it on, it's such a boring episode for having an interesting location. The gift shop is funny but other then that......so much of this is so lame. The road song for example is such a lame song. It's on my list at #25