• Advertisement

Mar. 19 & 20: Come fly with me!

HawkbitAlpha

Over the last year, I haven't been as present on SBC as I was before. There's a very clear reason for that: I've returned to activity in my good old home game of YSFlight, coming out of a more than 3-year break, and joined a little combat-oriented group called the 2nd United Combat Wing. On top of that, I was finally unbanned (after almost 6 years - sounds familiar, huh?) from the game's main community, YSFlight Headquarters, so I've been putting my time in there as well. Combine that with the fact that I haven't had much to contribute on SBC, and, well, you've got a recipe for a big ol' dead Hawk. But the way I see it, just because I've started playing an old game again shouldn't mean we don't talk anymore. So I had the thought: why not bring the fun over there?

That's where this thread comes in: I'd like to personally invite everyone on SBC, gamers and posters alike, to join me in the long-joked-about YSFlight Simulator! I've decided to announce it at this point in time because of the two events that'll be going on back-to-back this weekend, so if any of you want to get a taste of being in the community (which is about the same size as SBC), this is a great time to do so.

MARCH 19: FRIDAY NIGHT FLIGHT

3Mi3J9j.png

Okay, this one isn't a super special event, since it's weekly, but it works nonetheless. The idea is simple: everybody gets on one server (usually Neocon's Civil Aviation Server, but mine is a backup for when CAS is down), decides on a flight plan, and has a group flight from point A to B. Starts at 7:15 Central/00:15 UTC, and usually lasts about an hour to an hour and a half. Any plane works as long as it's fast enough to keep up, has enough fuel to make the entire journey, and you don't use it to shoot other people down. A great and relaxing way to get to know a few people, if you will.

MARCH 20: THE YSFLIGHT AIR & SPACE EXPO

cUMBPeO.png

Now this is a much bigger event that you can expect more than a dozen people to attend. It's the first YSFlight community airshow of the year (a typical year usually has a few of these, one every few months), in which people will be flying and making a variety of performances, aerobatic stunts and all, for everyone to see. (Here's what one usually feels like.) I'll be flying in this airshow myself, representing the aforementioned 2nd United Combat Wing with a stubby little jet called the Whizzing Arrow II (*wink!*). Capping it all off is the YS Thunderbirds, our community's recreation of the real-life US Air Force Thunderbirds. Registration for this airshow has already closed, but everyone is free to come in and enjoy the show as a spectator!

For more detailed information: https://forum.ysfhq.com/viewtopic.php?t=10549

(Also, it's hosted on the YSTB's own Discord, where the narration and audio are streamed. If you wanna get into both of these events, make sure you have at least two slots for Discord servers open!)

I'm well aware that the idea of flight simulation probably doesn't interest anyone on SBC, but I'd like to point out that it doesn't even interest me. I come at YSF nowadays purely to have fun as a simple gamer, and I think many of you could as well given the right introduction. With that said, if you want to give it a try and come to either of these events, hit me up on my dedicated Discord (or just a DM, if you prefer that), and I'll try to help you get everything set up. And in any case, see you soon!

• Thanks 2