• Advertisement

The Complicated Timeline of Kamp Koral's Creation

Jane

I don't mean to sound callous but people really need to let go of this.

Yes, it's sad that it's very possible that Steve wouldn't have approved of Kamp Koral, and it's debatable if he even knew about it, but spin-offs were inevitable.

For any entertainment property the size of Spongebob, getting milked is par the course. It's incredibly tragic Steve passed so young, but even if he had lived an extra 20 or 30 years we would've seen this scenario happen, it just would've been delayed.

It's debatable if it would have even happened had he not passed. He clearly was stepping back and letting Paul, and later Vincent and Marc take the reigns. He let Sponge out of Water have a lot of CG and superheroes, something from interviews and anectodes, isn't something he would've let happen with the first movie. He let a completely (well, with the exception of Aaron Springer and a few old board artists) new crew direct an-all CGI movie with a bunch of pop songs and pop culture references. He let a broadway musical happen, something he'd been on record as being opposed to. I honestly feel like at a certain point he would've let spin-offs happen anyway, maybe not this one, but he was clearly letting other people take over the franchise.

Vincent is very possibly telling a white lie or stretching the truth, it conflicts with what he told others about Steve's knowledge of the show a while back, but I just feel dirty about people continually pressing him about it. He's grieving from Steve (and his two friend's passings) and wasn't in the emotional state to pin down for sure. Other people on the crew didn't seem to know for sure either. The only person remaining who could give a definitive answer would be Paul, but if I were him I wouldn't want to step foot in this drama personally, and even then he's working on information Steve relayed to him years, if not decades ago.

I don't think Pieguy's an asshole, or malicious, he's always level-headed in his videos, but I don't quite think he grasps the power he has with an audience of his size. Every bit of his own speculation he throws out is like attracting crabs to a bucket.

His video was mostly accurate and lines up with what I've heard, but he also isn't considering that development on the biggest kid's show in history takes a while- a spin-off of this magnitude would not have been pitched and greenlit in the span of one meeting. There had to have been rumors of it around the office for months beforehand. No one greenlights a multi-million dollar project, especially one with an all-new CG pipeline, on a whim.

I also don't get why he thinks Nick PR would have a more direct answer than Vincent's? If Vincent (who not only worked with Steve up to his passing), but several other crew members don't know for sure, why would a Nick PR person know?

• Like 1