• Advertisement

The SBC is adamant about saying NO to Kamp Koral. Why/Surprised?

kev

With the resurgence of children versions of animated shows one would think that this would be the perfect time for KK to see some success. All the other new shows (Teen Titans Go!, We Bare/Baby Bears) have flourished in one way or another. Booking time slots, feature length movies, nominations and awards, and so on. All have had successful viewership and Nielsen records while Kamp Koral still can't even get critical recognition. Big Mouth as well.

Why is it that Kamp Koral is the only one the SBC is consistent with saying NO to no matter how many times it's been promoted? What is it about Kamp Koral that the forums just does not care? And do we think they ever will? It's very interesting. Let's discuss.

We haven't really seen Kamp Koral's success yet cuz it hasn't been premiered but part of me thinks it will be successful mainly for kids.

We are definitely entering an era where we are seeing kiddy and silly (sillier) versions of beloved kids cartoons. And this show is a part of it. I'm not gonna speak too much about We Baby Bears because I don't know that show well but when it comes to TTG, TTG was a show that was at first very criticized by dc fandom before and after the show has been aired. There was a strong dislike against the show, especially from 2003 TT fans who wanted to see their show revived, instead of getting a pure silly and comedic version and SBC used to be against at this show as well but over the years, with TTG gaining its own identity with parodying dc universe, it has gained more positive attention from adult viewers. The show did well with kids more than adults because of the show's childish humor. But to me, there are certain things that sets apart TTG and Kamp Koral. Firstly TTG is a dc comics adaptation, meaning this show is meant to tell stories of characters of a franchise that existed so many years, a superhero franchise. 2003 TT was also an adaptation and no one made a fuss about superhero shows getting milked (at that time). Teen Titans characters belonged to DC comics, so DC can do whatever they want to do with their characters. I'm not saying DC owning character rights instead of its creators is always a good thing because we have had controversies over corparates on their use of characters (Alan Moore and Watchmen situation) but TT was always meant to be a team that was gonna last for a long time. So there is no problem with making many adaptations of these characters. So TTG's existence isn't that big of a deal to me. But Kamp Koral is a project that comes from a franchise that was always meant to belong to its creator, Stephen Hillenburg. And so far there hasn't been any confirmation that Stephen was okay with this. We all know Hillenburg left the show after first movie but he pretty much approved the show to move on without him but Hillenburg has implied before that he was against at SpongeBob having spin-offs, especially the characters being reduced to kids. Unfortunately Hillenburg has passed away and what really feels off is that this spin-off was announced after he has passed away, so what really came into our minds is that the corparate being against at the creator's wishes. And what set it off was Paul Tibbit, a former SpongeBob producer, writer and showrunner, making a tweet that Hillenburg would never want this. So majority of people went against at this spin-off because this was nothing other than a cash cow. Another difference i found in TTG and Kamp Koral is that their own concepts. TTG is a show that is meant to parody its both serious and funny 2003 cartoon, while parodying dc universe as a whole. Kamp Koral's concept is SpongeBob and his friend but they are kids in a camp. See which one is actually trying to be at least creatively bold here. TTG is a cartoon that basically said fuck you to its haters (whether it's deserved or not is a discussion for another time) and it gained its own identity for being the wacky tales about these serious characters in dc comics. TTG cast and 03 show stories are based on Wolfman's New Teen Titans run that was pretty serious and dark but it did so well with the readers that it rivaled with X-Men at the time. So TTG being a silly version of that run is actually an interesting decision. Kamp Koral doesn't offer any new ideas. It is basically same shit as SpongeBob, except characters are kids and you can even go as far as it is similar to Camp Lazlo's concept. It is so boring, careless and lazy. Of course we haven't seen the show yet to judge how it tells its own stories but the fear of this show comes from that it's a corparate made show that has no original ideas whatsoever. And you can't exactly expect Kamp Koral to parody a show that is already silly and comedic. It can criticize SpongeBob's flaws but that's not what the show is going for, at least that's what we know. I'm not saying it has to parody. It just doesn't feel new and fresh. There is little to no effort put into it. It feels so lifeless. Kamp Koral is a show that is meant to gain viewers from kids. It doesn't give a shit about adult viewers, Nickelodeon stopped being a network that is supposed to be all ages network. So this show will most likely do well with kids and it will definitely sell but the longtime fans of SpongeBob will not be saitsfied. You can already see they are not interested in this from seeing the first footage. And most of longtime fans have stopped watching SpongeBob which has been going on forever as well.

I said I'm not gonna talk too much about We Baby Bears but if you want a comparison, I'll say that We Baby Bears has no difference from Kamp Koral; same lifelessness, same laziness. And i don't give a crap about it. I don't know if that show was approved by its creator(s) or not but i haven't heard anything from the creator(s) that they were against a this. But there is also this one differenfe between that show and Kamp Koral. We Baby Bears is a concept that already existed in the show's own lore, there have been many baby bear eps and they did well with the audience. Kamp Koral is an idea that was only in the the third movie of SpongeBob and that movie did not do well with its audience. And almost all of SBC stopped caring for We Bare Bears after its first season but SpongeBob is the reason why this community exists. So you'll see more complaints about Kamp Koral.

When it comes to Big Mouth, that show, as much as it feels disturbing for me and a lot of people, that show also did well with the audience and i'm not saying pedophiles (although it wouldn't surprise me it appeals to them). The show's concept is to explore early stages of puberty and how that effects kids, so people found this show to be relatable. Also the fact that crude humor is praised for it. And the show is actually pretty original and fresh, unlike Kamp Koral. 

Kamp Koral is gonna be the first spin-off of SpongeBob and we are gonna get more spin-offs with already confirmed two spin-offs.

So yeah those are what I'm gonna say about why this show gets too much flack from audiences. It is lazy, uninspired, unoriginal and disrespectful. And I'm not gonna give it a shot unless I hear real praises about it.

I hope I explained myself well and I'm interested to see what discussions this thread will bring.

• God Himself 2

2 hours ago, kev said:

With the resurgence of children versions of animated shows one would think that this would be the perfect time for KK to see some success. All the other new shows (Teen Titans Go!, We Bare/Baby Bears) have flourished in one way or another. Booking time slots, feature length movies, nominations and awards, and so on. All have had successful viewership and Nielsen records while Kamp Koral still can't even get critical recognition. Big Mouth as well.

Why is it that Kamp Koral is the only one the SBC is consistent with saying NO to no matter how many times it's been promoted? What is it about Kamp Koral that the forums just does not care? And do we think they ever will? It's very interesting. Let's discuss.

Because SBC is attached to Spongebob and there's valid concerns about whether or not Spongebob's creator would've approved of it or not.

It's not just KK being a cheap cash-in on a megahit, it's that there's evidence pointing to it fundamentally violating the IP

everyone knows the story of kamp koral but does ANYONE find it questionable that these mini little guys share absolutely no dna with their other paternal parent?????

we can only assume most of these juvenile fish are the result of the Great Ethic Cleansing of ‘22 of Bikini Bottom itself that forced every bottom dweller under the age of 35 to marry  to prolong the city’s failing birth rates because of the oul spill AND only in their species. That’s why these children “SpongeBob” “Patrick” “Sandy” look so identical to their parents and further euthogenetics brought them all to appear in the same form as their respected species. 

However I do believe one couple defied those laws, and even farther, a gay Homosexual relationship perhaps. Despite of the children looking completely identical to said parent, and who were the two children? The two parents? SpongeBob Senior and Squidward Senior. Think about it. 

image0.png
the lgbt man fashion? only by lgbt squid blood.

image1.png

Who wears frames just like this?

image1.webp

that’s right, just like his produced by budding father

also a rare photo given by a local rebellious individual whose identity is sealed has given the news network these two critical pieces of  damning evidence

hqdefault.jpg

9S9tpcgNPO-2.png
I should be more absolutely appalled by this startling and life changing information about the sad reality of the future of this underwater utopia, however, eugenics has plagued the ocean dwelling which they thrived in. I hope whoever can watch this documentary about the downfall of a society by the hands of racism and ethic cleansing can truly leave this with a perspective to change the world around him/her/them/zem. 

• Thanks 1
  • God Himself 5

9 minutes ago, Jane said:

Because SBC is attached to Spongebob and there's valid concerns about whether or not Spongebob's creator would've approved of it or not.

It's not just KK being a cheap cash-in on a megahit, it's that there's evidence pointing to it fundamentally violating the IP

it’s not violating the IP if Nickelodeon has been owning it for it’s entire lifetime. SpongeBob has won the KCAs Favorite Cartoon for the past 20 years, when will Gravity Falls? :tea:

Numerous insider leads and private investigations have given me a wealth of information about a one SpongeBob SquarePants Junior, who was BORN as “Savanna”

B7E9615D-BCFA-4472-91F2-ACA662D5AB31.png.222e7ccfd88fdaf943f5537119b49d94.png

As we can see here they were assigned female at birth but the circumstances that surrounded the Great Ethnic Cleansing (GEC) forced them to disguise the child entirely. The couple separated and SpongeBob took Savanna and raised them as ‘’SpongeBob Jr” who was said to be conceived by reproduction by budding.

DESPITE THIS FINDING I was unable to find info about Squidward Jr, the supposed second child of SpongeBob and Squidward. Could it be that SpongeBob held no part in the raising of this child, be it genetic or parental?

C053A950-6740-4761-B4FB-3BCC6D33B9C3.thumb.jpeg.b6099b84334957a6f1fb0655a34e9c82.jpeg

I propose that SpongeBob Sr had an affair with Patrick Sr, creating this monstrosity. You see the facial resemblance? We can assume that Squidward Jr was somehow adopted or asexually conceived by Squidward and the sponge-like gayness is purely coincidental

• Thanks 1
  • God Himself 5

The main difference as to why most of us aren't so hostile towards the baby version spin-offs mentioned (although I don't think TTG really counts as one) is that they're made while the creators of the originals they are spun off from are alive. Kamp Koral is made without any sort of known consent from the creator. It's so hard to appreciate this spin-off we're getting given the whole background surrounding its existence, as well as the sheer implications that the people who pushed for this show to be made waited after Hillenburg's death to be able to make it completely possible.

In other words, I show little to no support for Kamp Koral because it doesn't feel comfortable for me to do so. Hillenburg has been made notable for giving the possibility of a SB spin-off a hard pass. Nickelodeon has full ownership of the IP anyways, but here's the thing that sucks about it: with the series creator out of the picture, they have carte blanche on what to do with SB while they still hold onto the rights of it, even if they choose to do something that is against Stephen's ideals. With Nick continuing to over-saturate SB past Hillenburg, it's a situation where SB would begin to feel less like HIS creation and more like THEIR creation alone. Sure, that's life in the animation industry. Regardless, it's not a satisfying picture.

On top of that, Hillenburg seems to be a humble creator, so while SB has been built into this massive franchise thanks to its success, there's still some things that feel off about NIckelodeon pushing dozens of newer SB creations to be made, and not just Kamp Koral. Stephen expressed his feelings about the success of his series before, including about over-exposure and his disregard for spin-offs being made for it. Perhaps his feelings have changed overtime, but with him gone, how do we know that for sure? We don't know him personally so we don't know if Kamp Koral is part of something that he would want, and so we may never really know if that's the case.

Now if I were to judge it outside of the whole controversy, I'd still reject Kamp Koral for how underwhelming its animation looks, based on what I know about it so far. I mean, they make such a risky move to try and get people excited over more SpongeBob and this is what they give us?

Edited by Steel Sponge
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Steel Sponge said:

With Nick continuing to over-saturate SB past Hillenburg, it's a situation where SB would begin to feel less like HIS creation and more like THEIR creation alone.

SB been transitioned from being HIS creation and more like THEIR creation since 2004/season 4 what now? :vanessa:

7 minutes ago, kev said:

SB been transitioned from being HIS creation and more like THEIR creation since 2004/season 4 what now? :vanessa:

Spill bestie :mother:

FadBob fell off after 2004, Britney teas. We were all busy streaming A:TLA since then, which served longevity on Netflix. When will FadBob? 

5 minutes ago, kylie✨ said:

Spill bestie :mother:

FadBob fell off after 2004, Britney teas. We were all busy streaming A:TLA since then, which served longevity on Netflix. When will FadBob? 

sb was shunned from being a gay icon while releasing 3 theatrical movies with divisive results after each one; third one serving artpop flashbacks BOTH critically & commercially. 

A:TLA franchise curated TWO critically acclaimed animated shows, knew when to stop at ONE movie, and spawned an lgbtq+ icon in korra, Babadook teas :heathertea:

1 minute ago, kev said:

sb was shunned from being a gay icon while releasing 3 theatrical movies with divisive results after each one; third one serving artpop flashbacks BOTH critically & commercially. 

A:TLA franchise curated TWO critically acclaimed animated shows, knew when to stop at ONE movie, and spawned an lgbtq+ icon in korra, Babadook teas :heathertea:

The fact that the A:TLA movie was more panned than any SpongeBob movie so they wisely chose to stop making them, while FadBob has had 2 flop movies in a row which BOMBED with critics and the box office alike. Looks like Mein Kampf Koral isn't the only thing the GP is saying no to. 771139526546554900.png?v=1

10 hours ago, kylie✨ said:

The fact that the A:TLA movie was more panned than any SpongeBob movie so they wisely chose to stop making them, while FadBob has had 2 flop movies in a row which BOMBED with critics and the box office alike. Looks like Mein Kampf Koral isn't the only thing the GP is saying no to. 771139526546554900.png?v=1

But didn't SOOW do well with both critics and box office alike? SOTR bombed tho.

I don't HATE the idea. To the people saying "oh,,, it's like shitting on Hillenburg's grave" or whatever...well...wasn't it kind of inevitable?

SpongeBob is such a successful show that has evolved into a large franchise, keeping Nickelodeon afloat. It is impossible for them to just continue the main series without branching off into other media endeavours. In the end, it's harmless and geared towards little kids. Sure, it sucks that it fucks up the very very little continuity SpongeBob had, but that's once again inevitable when a show has been going on for a while.

It does tell me that they're going to do more of these in the future, and they probably won't be limited. The main show is probably going to die at some point. But overall, I simply just couldn't care anymore since this was (and I know, I sound like a broken record) inevitable.

15 hours ago, kev said:

it’s not violating the IP if Nickelodeon has been owning it for it’s entire lifetime. SpongeBob has won the KCAs Favorite Cartoon for the past 20 years, when will Gravity Falls? :tea:

nick has the legal right to do whatever they want, no one is dismissing that. people are debating if the show's creator would've liked the idea or not. That's a different question.

Gravity Falls ended 5 years ago, why would it win the KCAs now?

4 hours ago, Jesus said:

But didn't SOOW do well with both critics and box office alike? SOTR bombed tho.

PANNED with audiences (54% audience score). Looks like the general public disagrees! :Lollipop:

35 minutes ago, Jane said:

Gravity Falls ended 5 years ago, why would it win the KCAs now?

It wouldn't win then or now. Poor fad of 2013. :Lollipop:

I just see it as a dumb idea that retcons some little canon points of the show of how SpongeBob met characters such as Sandy. It also looks ugly. I've accepted that Nick is going to ruin this franchise even more since Hillenburg passed but they could at least have a spinoff that feels more faithful and genuine of the original.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, kylie✨ said:

PANNED with audiences (54% audience score). Looks like the general public disagrees! :Lollipop:

It wouldn't win then or now. Poor fad of 2013. :Lollipop:

54% audience score isn't that bad. Could have been worse. It is just mixed response. I liked the movie just fine and i know plenty who liked it shrug. Low bar on a movie is 35-40% to me at least

With all fairness, Rotten Tomatoes isn't that much of a trustworthy indicator for what defines a good or bad film/tv series, whether it's based on audience or critic impressions. There have been several films with questionable scores from both sides other than the audience rating for SOoW. Also, keep in mind,  this is the same website that has recently welcomed Doug Walker as one of their Tomatometer-certified critics.

Edited by Steel Sponge