• Advertisement

068a. Patrick SmartPants

Doogle.

People are wondering why Patrick was sarcastic while he was smart. This is my theory. Even when he was dumb, Patrick has been a Smart Alec from time to time, especially around Sandy. I think when he was intelligent, this Smart Alec just kinda bloomed. And what Nuggets said, the lesson teaches you to be yourself. And Patrick couldn't connect with them JUST because he was a little sarcastic, you saw him he just couldn't find joy in the little things like sand boarding with his best buddy. It reminds me of the book, Flowers for Algernon a lot actually. Even if you're not the sharpest knife, friendships matter more. In a way, it teaches you that love is even greater than brains. And isn't that a great message?

How do I feel about this episode? I thought it gave us a rare chance to see Patrick in a new light. It got to show us that even being smart wouldn't be the best for him. It's like Friend or Foe in that it reaches untouched territory that can get you emotionally a little bit.

8/10

plus Patrick with that lovely voice and vocabulary makes me go all squeamish hehe

It's a cartoon, not a government conspiracy to brainwash children. You misunderstand the moral. It's not "LAWL BE STUPID" (and even if it was, just like how it was when they did this plot in Adventure Time, it's not meant to be taken seriously), the moral is to be yourself, because when you try to be someone else, it goes against who you are. That's generally the moral of SpongeBob as a whole. It's a kids cartoon, and to think that the government is doing things like that on purpose to ensure safety and all of the other random crap you mentioned about society is just silly.

The moral "be yourself" isn't bad by any means. But it makes no sense in context of the episode. First of all, Patrick wasn't exactly trying to be something against his character. He was against his character. The only clue of this moral is in the Sandy scene, but only slightly.

The reason I have adopted such hatred for this episode is because:

A. It tells you friends are more important than education. 

B. Being intelligent means you are unable to have fun for whatever reason.

C. Knowing more than your friends means the automatic jerkball.

I do respect Unlimited's theory though. Maybe it is possible the reason Patrick was a jerk was because he couldn't handle the sudden intelligence. If went into the CORRECT direction, it would have ended with Patrick realizing intelligence wasn't good for him and reverting back to his old self.

Instead, he blames the concept of smartness as a whole, and how you can't have fun or friends with it. There goes potential. It just rubs me in the wrong way. Even with Cha's theory, the hypothesis of the "be yourself" moral isn't supported, at least in my thoughts. I think I'm just missing something.

NOTE: Because Wumbo deleted my post, I want to, again, apologize for the harsh insults in my review. I really want to remake the review, but Nuggets already quoted it, so it would wound up being a waste of time.

An underrated episode. I really love this episode a lot. It was funny and very enjoyable. It's not one of my favorite season 4 episodes but It's still a great episode and I recommend it. Patrick is funny as a smart person but he is funnier when he is dumb. This episode was also emotional. The part when SpongeBob and Patrick looked at their pictures was very touching in my opinion. Some parts made me laugh like Patrick falling off cliff twice, Patrick struming a jellyfish, Plankton's cameo, SpongeBob and smart Patrick having some fun and the ending. I rate this epsidoe 9.5/10. I would give 10/10, If smart Patrick wasn't a jerk to Sandy.

Alright, I'll admit I was being way too harsh in my initial review of this episode. It is, in no form, a good episode. But it does manage to do some aspects correctly. Despite the set-up being garbage, the realization scene was very well executed, and the voice acting was fabulous. The storyline, if tweaked a little, would have been excellent. The episode just didn't reach its potential. It headed towards the wrong direction, what with the moral. Other than that, it was...simply there. Decent concept, meh execution. 3/5 

This episode is one of my favorites of the season and needs a lot more appreciation. It's a very clever episode, with smart Patrick's voice and his mannerisms, and it really does a great job of showing what the opposite of the dummy-dum Patrick would be like. While I will admit that the episode is rather light on jokes, the jokes it does have are still hilarious and the story is solid throughout. Just a very cool episode all around, and I'll never understand why it gets a lot of flack (Yes, Patrick is a jerk in some places, but that's kinda the point. It's meant to show that if Patrick was a genius rather than the lovable idiot we all know him as, his ego would be overinflated and he'd let his intelligence get the best of him. It actually works in the context of this story. Plus, Patrick's far more tolerable here than he is in some others, I.E. Rule of Dumb, The Card, Yours, Mine and Mine, Pet Sitter Pat, etc.).

8.9/10 (Great)

Edited by SpongeNicko