President Squidward

post sequel thoughts  

11 members have voted

1. 1. What is your thoughts on Post Second Second Movie

• I enjoy it!
    • it looks fine - scott the woz
    • i'm not a fan
    • i dont know/FUCK SPONGEBOB

Feels weird it's already half a decade since a new era of SpongeBob has first premiered, and with that, we got a complete change in style for SpongeBob to give it a fresher look compared to the critically panned Post-Movie era. So, I now ask as we conclude the post-sequel part AND continue the cartoony era even after Sponge On the Run, what are your thoughts on the overall quality of it, from animation to writing to character to the overall episodes?

I've always had controversial thoughts that I still would want to make a video on (but I want to make it when I have actual good software and a good mic and not make myself sound douchey like I regretably have many times throughout the years). There's some nice aspects to it that I respect, such as the animation being so gorgeous by movement, and there's some expressions I think work well. And episodes like Plankton Paranoia, Squid Noir and Chefbob are overall enjoyable. And the SpongeBob crew I've met online are nice people and have a lot of talent.

My personal complaints are the fact that a lot of the cartoony style doesn't fully fit SpongeBob by execution. If it were more done via Rocko then I think it would definitely work. Looney Tunes and a mix of Ren and Stimpy, makes it feel like I'm losing brain cells. I'm bothered by mainly how the characters have moments of being overexagerrated to the point where they act like a different character (kind of like some of Post-Movie's worst episodes with Mr. Krabs, Patrick or Squidward where one of their traits is overdone to the point they become assholes), but this time it's done via visual gags and usually punishment happens to the character acting foolish (mainly Squidward). Patrick and Squidward are the worst offenders that make it unwatchable for me, Patrick's stupidity doesn't work as well anymore when half the time he REALLY acts brainless for the sake of a "LOL look at how stupid and gross he is", Squidward, which I could go on for ages about as being the worst flanderization in animation that's overlooked by everybody, and Krabs and Sandy have shown cringeworthy moments such as in Squirrel Jelly or Out of the Picture. I also dislike how much Bubble Bass and that annoying Rube camera guy character who's been used in what, 5 episodes now, just to add to the high stupidity level of the show. 

The writing of characters is one thing, but with the episode's humor, it's pretty much the usual funny face visual gags, characters going insane or acting stupid, burp jokes, referencing the show's glory days to let fans know "hey, we REALLY LOVE this show", slapstick and maybe one or two clever visual/dialogue jokes, but with how much of the scripts have been cut since Season 10, it just feels very cookie cutter and lacks the SpongeBob feel for me.

I guess I AM a SpongeBoomer like the youngsters call all the fans of Pre-Movie annoyingly nowadays, but I do respect that people still like the show. I welcome SpongeBob to switch things up in style once in a while, but I don't see myself watching this era over and over and enjoying most of it. Though I haven't seen 60% of the era, I peeked at most of the episodes by moments, transcripts, episode descriptions to have a feeling a lot of it is the same routine over and over at ad-naseum levels (with of course, most of it being on THE BEST CHARACTER ON THE SHOW). I will watch all of 9B-Present one day for the purpose of possibility of having more episodes I like/dislike. 

I'm hoping the era changes soon since I fear the show will never have a style that clicks with me, which would suck because I really am still obsessed with this show and want to continue supporting it, but have so much trouble and complaints for me to even do so at the moment. Maybe one of those unnecessary spinoffs could bring a more grounded, dialogue-style and heartwarming show that SpongeBob was to me in the peak days (with some once in a while cartoony touches reminiscent of Rocko's Modern Life).

Do you feel the same, or are you in the majority of this new era being better than Post-Movie, or maybe Post-Sequel being the peak era of SpongeBob. Discuss! I'm just happy the show still has fans and I never want to make people think that liking the new stuff is bad, no opinion over something harmless like SpongeBob is invalid! 

• Like 1

This show was at its best when it was still trying to replicate the writing of the pre-movie seasons (Season 4/9B). Anytime the writers ward off this path and try to do their own things, SpongeBob isn't SpongeBob, just some B-grade cartoon that happens to have the SpongeBob aesthetics/characters.

As someone who hasn't been here in ages and struggled to keep up with the show lately, I admit that I do agree with some of your point in regards to season 12 from what I remember. Then again, maybe I'll have to binge-watch the season before I give my thoughts (there's still two S12 episodes I haven't seen at all).

• Like 1

I agree with a lot of your points. A lot of nice, talented people working on nuSpongebob, and the poses and expressions are fantastic, but the tone (to at least me) comes off as a neutered Ren and Stimpy. The writing, tone, characterization don't really feel Spongebob to me. I agree with you that it being cartoony isn't inherently bad- you correctly pointed out shows like Rocko were a big influence on SB.