• Advertisement

George Floyd Protests

Trigger warnings:

Spoiler

Race-based violence, police brutality

I want to start off by saying that I was very hesitant to create a thread like this, since the last time I took part in a discussion on here about pro-antiracism protests, I expressed very regrettable alt-right viewpoints.

That was several years ago. Now that I have opened my eyes to the fact that I am a left-wing libertarian, I want to take a moment to apologize for my earlier views that ultimately got the Charlottesville thread trashed the way it did.

Now that I have gotten that elephant in the room out of the way, let's discuss a man named George Floyd. Several days , while shopping and attempting to cash a check, Mr. Floyd was restrained by several police officers and his throat essentially crushed by the ringleader Derek Chauvin.

Suffice to say, this has had a far bigger impact in the past several days than anyone could have realized; this specific incident, more than any other, has been the straw that broke the camel's back in regards to police brutality. This has grown from an issue specifically regarding the Black Lives Matter movement into an issue that has affected Americans from all walks of life. We, as a nation, are tired of a frankly corrupt system that is slanted not only towards a majority population of middle and upper class whites, but rewards rather than punishes intolerance and forces those officers who would otherwise speak up into silence. It's time for a change, and it's exactly what we're trying to get.

So, let's discuss.