• 8/10
    • 7/10
    • 6/10
    • 5/10
    • 4/10
    • 3/10
    • 2/10
    • 1/10

There's many amazing electronic artists out there I enjoy, and currently I'm still in the IDM kick, with on of my favorites being a hidden gem Ashesinyourmind showed me last year named Ilkae, an artist who does an array of styles to the genre, whether it's glitchy as hell or melodic with beautiful synths that remind you of a video game at times (we call that style chiptune!), and with a consistent record of amazing albums, whether it be Pistacho Island, Light Industry or the recent Formal Format, there's plenty of tunes I go back and relisten to due to how much they bang, or sound pretty, or both, there is one track that speaks to me on a deeper level, one that IDM arists such as Boards of Canada, Plaid or Autechre can't come close to touching, and this track is an ambient one, called The Green Spectrum.

Why do I love this track? When you first hear it, you don't expect to suddenly be blown away at a repetitive synth note that is 33 notes long. First time hearing this track not only was I blown away and instantly in love, I was expecting it to amp up the godliness I was hearing into some kickass beat, but when I realized it was gonna be an ambient track, I was satisfied with this outcome too. The beautiful synths and samplers that swirl around and repeat with it's reverb and delays, then slowly progresses into the second half of the track where the notes disappear and it's beautiful, haunting ambient. The notes's sound remind you of your childhood memories, takes you back to the days of you growing up, a certain sound that evokes nostalgia, probably to the time it was created (2008), it's a sound from another world, something that just hits you hard and makes you long for the days of chilling in your room, reading your old magazines and books or watching Disney previews on your vhs tapes, or just going out enjoying life. And meanwhile, one man creates a relic of that time and releases it to the public. A love of music is heard in the entire track. I don't see this as just a peak of many for Ilkae, or a peak of ambient or electronic music, but a peak of music in general. Well crafted beauty that sounds like it's from another world, or a time of your life, or a video game. Or all 3. It's sheer beauty I would want to make myself if I were a musician, and I hope Ilkae crafts another ambient masterpiece like this again.