• Advertisement

Persian Gulf crisis; Iranian General Soleimani killed in U.S. drone attack

Steel Sponge

This has been appearing all over the news, so I had to made a topic for this. In a nutshell, military tensions between the U.S. and Iran have been rising at a fast pace, especially due to the events that took place between late December 2019 and now, in which the U.S. sent airstrikes towards Iraq and Syria, Iran thereafter sending missiles near the U.S. embassy, and now a drone-related attack by the U.S. in which Iranian Major General Qasem Soleimani and commander Abu Mahdi al-Muhandis were killed at the Baghdad International Airport. For those on SBC living in the States and wondering why people are expressing fears of a WWIII, take note of what I said about this recent attack being done by the U.S.

Calling Donald Trump a POS for his actions is a massive understatement, even before these events that transpired, but if you do want to vent your frustrations towards him, be my guest. I'm not so much of an open book on politics so I can't speak my mind on the matter except that I'd best wait and see what happens next before I try to form a response. At the same time though, considering that I am a very anxious kind of person, I'm fairly worried. I do think it's early to call this an example of the U.S. being on the brink of WWIII, but still.

Feel free to express your feelings on the matter here.

• Like 1

For those of you that don't get how huge of a deal the death of Soleimani is, I'll try to make it clear. Some people thought it was like assassinating our National Security Advisor... but no. Soleimani was a national hero in Iran, and us killing him is very much equivalent to anyone taking out our Vice President.

Soleimani said once that he wanted to be made a martyr. Now, we've given him exactly that. With the Iranian people rallying behind is death, the Iran nuclear deal is completely done. All signs are pointing to us heading straight into war, something I've been dreading would happen for a while now.

Now, how big of a deal is that? Well...

Iran is not Iraq. It's not Syria. It's not Afghanistan. It's not like any country that we've invaded since 9/11. Iran is a powerful player in the Middle East, and until recently, a relatively-stable country for the region. Before Trump pulled us out of it, they were held to an agreement (the aforementioned Iran nuclear deal) that prevented them from developing nuclear weapons. Under Soleimani's command, their military played a crucial role in fighting ISIS. Most of all, though, they have a population more than twice the size of Vietnam, the country where we lost our most infamous war:

I don't care what political stripes you have, or if you have any at all. Everybody needs to come out against this war, because if (probably when, sadly) we get into it with Iran, it'll be worse than any we've waged since WWII. Don't listen to anyone who wants to tell you otherwise - more than likely, they're the same people who said we would be in and out of Iraq in months, that Saddam Hussein had weapons of mass destruction, and that Venezuela currently poses a national security threat to us.

♫ When two tribes go to war / One is all that you can score ♫

• Like 7

aw shit

here we go again

Look, I grew up (as many of us did) during Iraq; my mom's stepdad even served during both the Gulf War and Iraq (and has PTSD as a result, thank you very fucking much, bush). Looks like history's gonna repeat itself because El Presidente didn't learn from the past.

I may not be the most political or even qualified to get drafted because of my cerebral palsy, but I sure as hell ain't gonna stand by idly. #NoWarWithIran #AllYouNeedIsLove 

• Like 2

Boy, I sure love how for the alleged "world's most dangerous bad guy!", the warmongering neolib + neocon media said nothing about Soleimani at all until this year. Goes to show the so-called "liberal media" isn't truly loyal to the actual left and is on nobody's side. But it's okay. They and the assholes in charge think we're all moronic sheep that will blindly eat this up, so be happy for more war, folks! Don't ask questions, just consume war propaganda and be excited for the next one!!!

The strings from the twisted puppeteer controlling Mr. Trump are clearer than ever here. 

• Like 1
  • God Himself 1