• Advertisement

Newspaper Comic Strip Battle

President Squidward

WOOMAN, LARRY NEED CUPPA JOE  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Which newspaper strip is superior of them all

There’s plenty of amazing comic strips in the newspapers a lot of us have read or are familiar with for years, even if a lot of us usually read it online now as newspapers are more worthless than ever before. I love buying the books collecting past strips though! 

Anyway, I made a poll of the ultimate battle of 4 famous, amazing comic strips. Calvin and Hobbes, Peanuts, Garfield and Pearls Before Swine. Your job is to vote in the poll of which is your favorite. If you have a different favorite comic strip, vote on other and tell more! We could make this an official newspaper strip discussion topic.

I enjoy Peanuts. A longtime obsession of mine when I was younger, I still want to collect the rest of The Complete Peanuts series I missed one day. Calvin and Hobbes was also very entertaining and cute. Garfield has its moments but it’s not my favorite strip out there, 80’s/90’s strips seemed more entertaining for sure. I also liked Big Nate too but it’s been a while since I collected the latest strips and I haven’t followed up with it. 

And now we get to the ultimate pick for me, a comic strip I’ve been a fan of since 2011 and now love currently as an adult, PEARLS BEFORE SWINE. It’s way more cynical than the above choices, but an absolute hilarious strip to read, especially in the beginning of the comic to the 2016 strips. Past few years from what I’ve seen haven’t been as godly but still a very fine read and still has its moments. I hope Stephan Pastis does more entertaining storylines and gives more focus to other characters besides himself, Pig, Goat and Rat like in the prime comics for me. But yeah, my favorite newspaper strip of all time, as I plan to buy more collections of old strips in the near future. 

So are you Pearls gang, or anything else above?? Vote and discuss! :D 

"Calvin and Hobbes", is such a GREAT comic strip!...Too bad we have to probably WAIT until at LEAST 2081 before it FINALLY falls into Public Domain, so that someone can finally LEGALLY make any animated series or movie of it (since we ALL know Bill Watterson won't do it)!

• God Himself 2

10 hours ago, Paul McCartney said:

"Calvin and Hobbes", is such a GREAT comic strip!...Too bad we have to probably WAIT until at LEAST 2081 before it FINALLY falls into Public Domain, so that someone can finally LEGALLY make any animated series or movie of it (since we ALL know Bill Watterson won't do it)!

Even then, we should still respect the man's wishes and leave CaH be. Especially when it comes down to someone whose work is so personal to him that he wouldn't ever allow anyone to license it, we can't afford another moment that parallels to how Nickelodeon took advantage of Hillenburg's death to start making more SB shows. I'm aware that a lot of other fans of CaH would like to see more from it,, but if we're meant to leave it as is, then that's the way things are. Also, Calvin and Hobbes probably won't go public domain at least until 70 years after Watterson dies, and last time I checked, he's still alive and kicking.

• Like 1

On 10/18/2019 at 11:25 PM, Paul McCartney said:

And I’m happy he won’t do it. I respect creators who won’t let people touch their own properties. It’s what I’d do if I created something so beloved. You know most likely someone touching his property will not put love and care to mind, only to appeal to a demographic and make a profit. But alas, someone probably will touch it after his death like assholes. ?

• Sad 1